Poll Options
View poll results: Afraid?
Yes
3 9%
No
29 91%
Voters: 32.
Page 1 of 2
Do you try to listen to new bands as unbiased as possible?
For the first time after years I gave harder music a chance and now Swans is one of my favorite bands and last week I even started to like Deafheaven.

I used to dismiss bands just for being "metal" or "mainstream".
What do you do pit?

(Also recommendations are welcome. My favorite bands are: Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Swans, Einstuerzende Neubauten, Coil, Animal Collective, The Beatles, Portishead, Grizzly Bear, Ariel Pink, Talking Heads, St. Vincent, LCD Soundsystem etc)
Just cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there.
No lol. If I like a song I don't care who its by, how old it is or what genre its from.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
I actively try and listen to lots of new stuff and don't really care who wrote it/how old it is/what style it is etc.

If I like it then I like it
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Yes I like new music and actively check jpopsuki for it every day.

I'm also a pleb and give a listen or two to most of the things Anthony Fantano reviews positively.

I tried Deafheaven the other day, and that is one example of trying new music and then vowing never to listen to them again.
I don't really care genre a song is anymore after pretty much dismissing certain ones for years. If I like it, I like it.

I didn't like anything poppy related forever, and over the last two days I've probably listened to Chvrches, Matt & Kim, Metric, Grouplove, Lorde, and Twenty One Pilots, so yea, I don't really give a shit anymore.

EDIT: I've also been listening to older stuff which I probably haven't done since I was 14 or so. Don't really know why. But I've listened to ELO a lot, and the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack and stuff similar to it a ton.
Quote by Trifonas at #33631144

(Also recommendations are welcome. My favorite bands are: Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Swans, Einstuerzende Neubauten, Coil, Animal Collective, The Beatles, Portishead, Grizzly Bear, Ariel Pink, Talking Heads, St. Vincent, LCD Soundsystem etc)

you might like Beach House

Last edited by WCPhils at Oct 10, 2015,
Quote by WCPhils
I didn't like anything poppy related forever, and over the last two days I've probably listened to Chvrches, Matt & Kim, Metric, Grouplove, Lorde, and Twenty One Pilots, so yea, I don't really give a shit anymore.

I've literally just discovered Twenty One Pilots today lol, although apparently they're pretty well known so idk. I really like what I've heard so far. Grouplove are cool too, found them through one of the Fifa games a few years back
Quote by SMH07 at #33631170
I've literally just discovered Twenty One Pilots today lol, although apparently they're pretty well known so idk. I really like what I've heard so far. Grouplove are cool too, found them through one of the Fifa games a few years back

Yea, they're both pretty popular but I just started listening to both like 2 weeks ago, lol

But I legitimately love Vessel by 21P and Grouplove's Spreading Rumors
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
In high school, I used to rag on this chap for listening to Linkin Park, because the guitar parts were so simple. I was too beta at the time so I could never really convince him. I dismissed most "nu-metal" bands? and pop altogether. Oldschool metal n classic rock were the only forms of true music to me.

Now, I still don't like either of those genres, but I listen to pop to maintain a culturally relevant musical mindset. I respect Linkin Park. I give every song an honest try, but generally before I get too far into the song (especially with pop) I've already critiqued it to death and dismissed it. Although a few make my cut... (does house/(x)step count?)

Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 10, 2015,
Quote by WCPhils

you might like Beach House

I've already listened to Depression Cherry and Bloom
They seemed nice and reminded me of Blonde Redhead
Just cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there.
I occasionally listen to Avenged Sevenfold and that says it all really.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Nah man, every band, song or genre you ever listened to was new to you once.
________________________________ ________________________________
______________________________ ______________________________
yeah sometimes i think why should i listen to new music when i can listen to power corruption & lies.
Quote by Trifonas

I recommend that you stop trying to be an entry level "artistic" pseudo-hipster and stop reading Pitchfork and CMJ.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
How old it is doesn't matter, genre doesn't matter, popular opinion doesn't matter. I listen to Nicki Minaj, Dizzee Rascal, 2Pac, Amorphis, Sylosis, Miyavi, B.B. King, Rowland S. Howard, all eras of RHCP, Sabbath, Selena Gomez, Cocteau Twins, Lauryn Hill etc. regularly, and have albums from most of them. I'll listen to pretty much anything once because ultimately it's all just noises that you either enjoy or don't and being pretentious about what's good or isn't is just straight-up dumb...

...but I've yet to find a modern country artist that wasn't shit.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
i'll give pretty much anything a fair chance. sure i have my favs but you never know until you give something a listen. i made a joke about polka metal on another thread and sure enough someone posted a couple of bands that did just that. gave it a listen and honestly not bad. will i run out and buy all their music, probably not but i'd give them another listen at least.

good music is always welcome regardless of when it was made.

oh and sorry but most of the j-pop and k-pop i've heard has been aweful (please note i said most).
I have extremely flimsy standards on what I like and don't like, I'll actively dismiss something as bad only to get super into it five years later or summin' (like Ion Dissonance), or like a band for 3 years straight and then instantly go off them for no reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L89i-OTR-6c
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
No. All I find inaccessible or unpleasant is some nu metal and some onkyokei.

I'm glad you enjoy Swans but I wouldn't call them hard listening in the slightest bar one record. If you're interested you should trace down their influences and origin points, and they come from scenes of far more violent performers.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Ive been able to leave my manliness at the door for about five years now when it comes to music

Ive been listening to heavy stuff for tenish years now, and now I rarely listen to metal at all.
Last edited by whywefight at Oct 10, 2015,
I like hearing the same songs again and again.
But I like some new music too
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into
words and that which cannot remain silent" ~ Victor Hugo
For some reason I thought System of a Down was stupid for years, after hearing part of Chop Suey once.
A few months ago, I actually got their debut album and Toxicity, and after listening to a few songs I was like "holy shit this is great" and now I listen to them more than any other band probably.

And who knows how many other bands I've judged like that.
Originally Posted by Cheeselord
Sanitarium iz by SLAYER DUMBASS!!!!!

SLAYER FAN4LIFE!
Well Swans are amazing so

just bought their RSD EP there actually
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by Banjocal at #33631287
No. All I find inaccessible or unpleasant is some nu metal and some onkyokei.

I'm glad you enjoy Swans but I wouldn't call them hard listening in the slightest bar one record. If you're interested you should trace down their influences and origin points, and they come from scenes of far more violent performers.

idk, I think Swans are pretty out there for anyone who isn't really into music. I've put them on and people were like "this isn't even music."

It's all relative.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
^i played Screen Shot at a party and one of my mates was like 'this is cool but where's the release? So repetitive'

and I'm like m8

but I get banjo's point. Aside from Filth, they make relatively accessible massive jams, like an actually exciting post-rock band or somethn
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by WCPhils
idk, I think Swans are pretty out there for anyone who isn't really into music. I've put them on and people were like "this isn't even music."

It's all relative.

They're only hard to listen to cuz they do the Neutral Milk Hotel/raw black metal thing and physically hurt your ears. Other than that, they're nothing special.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
wait why are u comparing NMH to swans?

I missed the opportunity to see Swans live cos I couldn't be arsed with the volume tho. That shits just dumb imo
Quote by ErikLensherr

I don't actively seek out fresh music but if I hear it and like it it's all good. Problem is though that most new music I'm exposed to is pop, dance music and club anthems and that's just not my thing.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
it's not that loud tbh, and frankly it does impact the performance. Like with bands like Sunn O))), the physical presence of the sound is really important, especially in their early work. and that's ignoring their industrial and noise influence where high volume is part of it in various ways

besides you should be wearing earplugs regardless

seeing ppl covering their ears at noise shows is grim

let's be real tho ppl saying 'it's not music' are sub-human in intelligence and even Filth is pretty easy to listen to. PCIAGI is the only one that I'd say is really noise/industrial music and that's largely due to the recording quality
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal
it's not that loud tbh, and frankly it does impact the performance. Like with bands like Sunn O))), the physical presence of the sound is really important, especially in their early work. and that's ignoring their industrial and noise influence where high volume is part of it in various ways

besides you should be wearing earplugs regardless

seeing ppl covering their ears at noise shows is grim

let's be real tho ppl saying 'it's not music' are sub-human in intelligence and even Filth is pretty easy to listen to. PCIAGI is the only one that I'd say is really noise/industrial music and that's largely due to the recording quality

wait what album is that acronym?

also ehh I dunno, I'm no sound designer but I get the feeling they could still put on a great show with lower volumes. but I'm not one to tell performers how to perform
Quote by ErikLensherr

Last edited by steve_muse at Oct 10, 2015,
sorry; it's Public Castration Is A Good Idea. It sounds like

https://youtu.be/9-5PZ-YYPI0

They could, but it'd lose the physical impact which is rly significant. It's like the Sunn O))) and the fridge jokes. Yeah, it's amusing online but when you're there in a room filled with fog, where your seat is literally shaking and each chord change vibrates inside your chest, red lights piercing the smoke and robed performers dramatise every change? It's pretty terrifying tbh. Same with stuff like Vomir and Hanatarash - there's a definite performance element where the way the performers behave + the outlandishness of it all really improves the message. rather than going for subtlety they push it into absurd excess

Swans live was - both times I saw them - what I can only describe as a religious mass from another dimension.

EDIT: for reference, this is what Sunn O))) look like live
and this is how they 'are'
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Oct 10, 2015,
Quote by steve_muse
wait why are u comparing NMH to swans?

I mean the way they mix/produce things and how it translates to how I listen to it.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Quote by Banjocal
sorry; it's Public Castration Is A Good Idea. It sounds like

https://youtu.be/9-5PZ-YYPI0

They could, but it'd lose the physical impact which is rly significant. It's like the Sunn O))) and the fridge jokes. Yeah, it's amusing online but when you're there in a room filled with fog, where your seat is literally shaking and each chord change vibrates inside your chest, red lights piercing the smoke and robed performers dramatise every change? It's pretty terrifying tbh. Same with stuff like Vomir and Hanatarash - there's a definite performance element where the way the performers behave + the outlandishness of it all really improves the message. rather than going for subtlety they push it into absurd excess
I
Swans live was - both times I saw them - what I can only describe as a religious mass from another dimension.

EDIT: for reference, this is what Sunn O))) look like live
and this is how they 'are'

Yea I get the whole physicality, performance as performance thing, but listening to walls of sound just doesn't sound (lol) like a fun time to me. At least, it wasn't too pleasant when I saw Mogwai.

I've seen that fantano vid yea. I'm not really into drone tbh, I prefer the softer ambient stuff like Brian Eno and the like.

with swans specifically, their recent stuff has lots of nuance which is what I'd like to hear live too tho
Quote by ErikLensherr

Is the poll about music that just came out? Or 'new' as in 'bands you've never listened to'? Either way, I'm always looking for new stuff. Can never have too much awesome music.
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
Quote by WCPhils
Yea, they're both pretty popular but I just started listening to both like 2 weeks ago, lol

But I legitimately love Vessel by 21P and Grouplove's Spreading Rumors

Yeah ive had some of Grouplove's stuff for a while, its decent. Downloaded Vessel today and from what I've listened to so far I'm a fan.
Quote by JamSessionFreak at #33631574
I don't actively seek out fresh music but if I hear it and like it it's all good. Problem is though that most new music I'm exposed to is pop, dance music and club anthems and that's just not my thing.

basically this

also people never know what to play for me when I'm with them in cars or something, and I'm like, I don't really care, it takes a lot to bother me
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by JamSessionFreak

same, except it definitely is my thing so I'm okay with it.

my tastes in music haven't changed - I just have less time to actively look for and listen to new music so I listen to whatever's on and luckily it is not tremendously complex so I don't really even need to pay attention to enjoy it
cat
Oh I meant fresh as in released recently. I still spend a substantial amount of time checking out music I haven't heard yet but more often than not it happens to be at least 15 years old. Releases from this decade still find their way into my library but they're almost always by artists who have been active for quite some time.

I am planning on picking up the debut album Spusti (2011) by Orkestrada this week if it counts, but first I need to find the headquarters of Radio Študent where it was released.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Oct 10, 2015,
Page 1 of 2