Ello everéboodé!
After a bit of hesitation, I bought the 74 gauge single strings for a drop B tuning to keep good tension and get a seriously sick sound. I looked a lot into tuners for accommodating bigger strings, but couldn't find any single ones. I bought the strings in the end because I didn't think about stripping the part of the string between the tuner and the nut slot for it to fit into the hole. Though I'm not too sure how some have already done this (what do you use and how? ). I prefer to not drill out the holes in the end, my tech wasn't sure about it and neither am I.
Basically, anybody got some advice?
Quote by jzRTCAQ!PY13575 at #33631162
drill out the holes

This is what most people do.

You may not like to drill the holes out, but if you're getting strings that heavy then there's no other way. It doesn't damage the tuners and if you're paranoid of damaging the guitar, you can take the tuner out and drill it on a seperate bench.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I've never used strings that heavy (never went over 64 for A on my 7-string, which just barely fit), but another method I've seen mentioned often by ERG people was to unwind the end of the string (so just the bare plain steel string is wound around the tuner). Apparently can take a bit of time, but also works.

Although, on a different note, are you sure you want to use 74 for B?! I know I'm on the lighter side of string tension preferences, but put bluntly, that's going to be really, really fucking tight and probably not far from breaking point. I'd do a little more research before widening the nut for that, as if you find out it is indeed to tight, it might be a bit of an issue afterwards if you get e.g. 60 gauge and the nut slot becomes a bit too wide and loose.

Not sure what tuning and gauges you've been using so far, but this site is pretty awesome for calculating how to get a similar feel with a different tuning: http://www.stringtensionpro.com . Apparently 74 in B is comparable to ~55 gauge for standard E...
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
Last edited by TheLiberation at Oct 10, 2015,
^^Agreed. .74 is very, very tight for B, and I like A LOT of tension. .62 is the biggest I've ever gone for drop-B and it was plenty tight on a 25.5 scale guitar.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
74 gauge string would make sense on a 24.75 scale guitar for low A or even Ab if you like tight strings but for B thats waaaayyyy overkill. 62 is good for normal tightness (comparable to 42-46 on E) tuned to B, no need for bigger unless you do Drop A on same guitar and even on that 62 works fine unless you absolutely need tight low string.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
This is the same guy who wanted ridiculously high action for better tone and kept telling us all we were wrong about having good tone with low action.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
This is the same guy who wanted ridiculously high action for better tone and kept telling us all we were wrong about having good tone with low action.

Wut? Only way low action would affect your tone is if you get fret buzz along with it, or your pickups get too close to the strings which is just a matter of lowering them. The string does not know how close to the wood it is. Its still vibrating in the air freely unless it touchess something in the process.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
@theliberation thanks for the info, but stripping meant unwinding (I think it's the same thing). The point you just mentioned is what I'm talking about, but I'm not sure how to unwind it and with what (I've seen a few forums about this I think but no details on how to do it), though thanks for taking the time to give advice.
@Maazeus, KailM, and Theliberation: it might be a bit tight, but it's the bottom string, so it's not much of problem for doing riffs. Clear tone sell a 13-70 gauge and said it could be in C standard, but they said C# for 12-60, which makes it sound like a 74 isn't too dangerous for the neck either. I did a calculation on this thing which showed the difference of tension between C# standard with 13-64 and C# standard with low string dropped to B with a 74 on the bottom, with only 2 pounds tension apart. If it feels like that the string tuned to B is too much, I'll tune to A# probably, and see what we can do with that. I like a tight thick string, it's bite (I think that's the word) is fierce and the bass is deep. It's perfect for hitting dubstep drop chords. Look at these guys: fracionodo and dubstepfortress (polyhymnia!).
@TooDeepBlue I know it's been done (drilling) but it might depend how tight their string was and what tuning they were using. The tech just told that too much tension with a bigger hole could cause damage (as the string is being wrapped round a thinner wall of the tuner). I'd rather not risk it.
just drill. it doesn't matter how thick the string is. It's all about the actual tension of the note it's tuned too.

A low B on my 28.625 scale baritone is only 31 pounds of tension and I run an 82 there. just drill it.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
drill the tuner out. its not a big deal, just touch it up a bit with a small file and sandpaper.

i usea .56 for a D sometimes, so if you want that much lower, i could see why.

for reference i use .11's in standard, and .12's in C#. i don't tune down any lower though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
@AcousticMirror That's what I'm also talking about. The B string (6th string) could still be quite tight if it's tuned to that note. Cleartone said with 14-80 that you should tune down to drop A on that string and the others in B standard because it could damage the instrument. If I was using my current string (64) tuned to B, it would probably be alright. But I don't really won't to risk it with 74 (just to be clear, mine is not a baritone). I know it's not about the thickness of the string, it's about the pitch and thickness together. I'll think about it, I've been advised to avoid doing that, by my tech and neighbour. I know who else I could ask too, so I can see what they think as well. I'm just not sure how long that tuner could stay undamaged. :/
@Theliberation Yeah, it would probably be similar to a 55 approx.
Last edited by jzRTCAQ!PY13575 at Oct 11, 2015,
I run a thicker string on a higher tension then you with a drilled out tuner. it's not going to hurt anything.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Well, I don't mean you'll damage the guitar (I don't know how much overkill you'd have to go to do that, there are people doing E with 13-56 sets after all), but I also had a phase for thick strings and with a ton of tension they really sound dull (and trying to get aggressive palm mutes is like trying to knock down The Great Wall of China by kicking really hard on it). You might find you like it as I've encountered people who like the feel and sound of ubertight strings, but I think it's more of a factor than the technical adjustments themselves.

Also, I'd generally advise against using sets by string companies as a reliable reference point, in many, many cases I have no idea what kind of voices told them that kind of string tension balance makes sense (take a look at most regular 8-string sets to see what I'm talking about). It's a far better idea to take the tuning and gauges you've been using so far and use a calculator like the one I linked to see how to get a similar feel with a different tuning.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
@AcousticMirror that is pretty tight I agree, but has it not damaged the wall of the tuner at all? With it being that tight, I thought the tuner would have trouble staying stable. Though I could try it, I just need to be sure about this. Thanks for the advice.
@TheLiberation I agree that it is weird that they say that that you must dramatically drop tune between the 13-70 and 14-80 gauges. It's strange how they say it works: I don't know why they say you should go from E to D# when you go 52 to 54 and from C to A when you go 70 to 80. It's a bit confusing :/
Can't 8 string guitars take more tension because of the bigger neck?
Probably yeah. My point regarding 8-string guitars was: http://daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=19&productname=EXL140_8_Nickel_Wound__8_String__Light_Top_Heavy_Bottom__10_74
The default Ernie Ball 8-string set is identical. 25-27 lbs of tension on EAD strings, and 14.8 on the F# string. If this isn't a good example that you shouldn't consider sets made by string companies a good reference point for logical tension, I don't know what is.

As I said, try it out yourself - it's up to you and your preferences, but in my opinion, all of these examples (70 for C, 74 for B, 80 for A?!?) are far, far overkill and would be extremely uncomfortable to me, plus require some additional setup. You haven't mentioned yet what tuning you've been playing in so far and with what strings, but I still think you should try the tension calculator and see what you get when you try to get the same tension for drop B.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Last edited by TheLiberation at Oct 11, 2015,
@TheLiberation It's a bit tight, but I usually get the feeling that when it's tight, the sound is more rigid and has some good bite. TBH, a 64 in C# isn't bad, it's nice and big for that note. I like the feeling of a big-gish string.
My tuning and strings are: 13p; 22w; 24w; 46; 52; 64; from top to bottom: C#;G#;E;B; F#; C#
I tried a tension thing online and it said the only difference in tension would be that the 74 tuned to B would have a pound more of tension than 64 tuned to C#, which sounds pretty good. I know I'm defending my point about this thing again, but with that tension combined with high action, the intonation will still be alright. Robbgnarly might be right about this, but I've seen mixed opinions online and when it was fully lowered once with a similar gauge, there was nothing! No voluminous bite to it. It might be the pickup height too, but as I've finally got the sound I want, I don't want to configure anything differently right now, because I'm scared of not being able to find that tone again (it nearly happened to me, and I spent a lot of time looking into this). I don't know how the pickup thing works, but I think the voluminous sound comes from the string having more space to move near the frets, and if the string is quite tight, it snaps at the pickups and comes back quite quickly, giving it some nice bite. Sure, if the string is tight, it might not wave around as much, but that all depends on what tone we're looking for.
Oh yeah, I forgot, that bit about the 8 string gauge: I don't know, F# for 74 is seriously seriously loose! Though you'd probably get a different tone with that, and I've seen people on internet do that, but I'm not super keen on that kind of tone right now. I need it to be tight to give some bite.
Last edited by jzRTCAQ!PY13575 at Oct 11, 2015,