Hey guys, as the title states I'm a guitar nooby, only been playing about a year. I've got a couple guitars that are all hard tails (Epi Les Paul, Squire Tele, and an iron label Ibanez).
I feel comfortable enough now with my playing and setting up my own guitars to my liking and want to take the next step into the floating trem world.

I am looking for some suggestions of guitars with floyds that will fit what I'm looking for and hopefully can find locally to try and see how they feel. I am on a venture to start learning all of Metallica's songs from the 80's, and of the guitars that I have, I play the best and easiest on the Ibanez so I clearly like the super thin necks. I have thought about another Ibanez but think I want to branch out more being that I'm so new to playing.

I immediate thought of an LTD KH-602 but am looking for other suggestions that would work well for what I'm looking for. My budget is somewhere around $500-600 dollar range.
What do you guys think?
Do you want new or used?

I would suggest getting an used Jackson with an OFR. If you go new, you probably won't find a decent Floyd in that price range. But since I don't live in the US, I don't know exactly how much of a guitar you can get with 600$ dollars if you go new.

I hope you are aware of how much patience is required to maintain and set up a guitar with a Floyd Rose. They are great, but there is a bit of a learning curve to get them set up properly and get the most out of them.
Last edited by DanyFS at Oct 10, 2015,
Quote by DanyFS
Do you want new or used?

I would suggest getting an used Jackson with an OFR. If you go new, you probably won't find a decent Floyd in that price range. But since I don't live in the US, I don't know exactly how much of a guitar you can get with 600$ dollars if you go new.

I hope you are aware of how much patience is required to maintain and set up a guitar with a Floyd Rose. They are great, but there is a bit of a learning curve to get them set up properly and get the most out of them.

Most likely used since I'd get more value for my money. I'm definitely aware of the learning curve with floyds, which is why I waited a while to get one. Part of the reason for wanting one is to learn how to set them up and maintain, as well as how to use them in my playing.

What model Jacksons and years should I look for with an OFR? Was there a cut off year when they all switched to their licensed or "special" floyds?
do you have to have a floyd or can it be another locking trem? you may want to look at some ibanez guitars as many have nice trems that stay in tune just fine. BC Rich offers good quality floyds (korean made) so you might want to give them a look as well.
Quote by monwobobbo
do you have to have a floyd or can it be another locking trem? you may want to look at some ibanez guitars as many have nice trems that stay in tune just fine. BC Rich offers good quality floyds (korean made) so you might want to give them a look as well.

I'd like to try something other than an Ibanez to expand my experience. I do prefer a floyd just simply because I want to learn how to set it up and tune correctly. I've gotten into a lot of the aspects of guitar setups, proper tuning, and electronics, and I would like to start learning how to set them up correctly as well as using them in my playing.
Quote by sudzinsky
Most likely used since I'd get more value for my money. I'm definitely aware of the learning curve with floyds, which is why I waited a while to get one. Part of the reason for wanting one is to learn how to set them up and maintain, as well as how to use them in my playing.

What model Jacksons and years should I look for with an OFR? Was there a cut off year when they all switched to their licensed or "special" floyds?

Actually the Floyd Rose Special is not too bad. It's essentially an OFR, but the insert blocks (the pieces that hold the strings on the bridge) and the sustain block are made of zinc. Knife edges are made of steel, just like an OFR.

However, if you can find a guitar with an OFR or even a Korean-made OFR (Floyd Rose 1000 is the name I think) in that price range, don't choose a guitar with a Floyd Rose Special over it.

Do you want passive pickups or actives? Preferred body shape?

I don't know exactly the models and years. There are some Jackson gurus around here, so they will definitely give you more help than me on that.

Look around Guitar Center and Ebay. I'm on a hurry, but after a quick search I found this Jackson Soloist with SDs, and that model has a Korean OFR I think: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Jackson/SL2-QUICKSILVER-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

The same guitar, but new: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-sl2-pro-soloist-quilt-maple-electric-guitar/h87637000003000
Quote by DanyFS
Actually the Floyd Rose Special is not too bad. It's essentially an OFR, but the insert blocks (the pieces that hold the strings on the bridge) and the sustain block are made of zinc. Knife edges are made of steel, just like an OFR.

However, if you can find a guitar with an OFR or even a Korean-made OFR (Floyd Rose 1000 is the name I think) in that price range, don't choose a guitar with a Floyd Rose Special over it.

Do you want passive pickups or actives? Preferred body shape?

I don't know exactly the models and years. There are some Jackson gurus around here, so they will definitely give you more help than me on that.

Look around Guitar Center and Ebay. I'm on a hurry, but after a quick search I found this Jackson Soloist with SDs, and that model has a Korean OFR I think: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Jackson/SL2-QUICKSILVER-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

The same guitar, but new: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-sl2-pro-soloist-quilt-maple-electric-guitar/h87637000003000
I have one of those, but with a trans red finish. Would certainly advise TS to try one if he can.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by DanyFS

How does a KH-602 stack up to this Jackson SL2?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I have one of those, but with a trans red finish. Would certainly advise TS to try one if he can.

This one?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Jackson/SL2Q-Pro-Series-Soloist-Trans-Red-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

They look like amazing guitars indeed. Never tried that model though, but they look very well built

Quote by sudzinsky
How does a KH-602 stack up to this Jackson SL2?

They are different guitars.

The KH 602 has EMGs instead of Seymour Duncans. Which ones do you prefer?

The necks are also different. Jackson has the Speed Necks and LTD Thin U Neck. Jacksons have a 12-16" compound radius and the LTDs have a 14" neck radius if I'm not mistaken.

You should try them both because they will feel different.

Since the KH-602 is a signature guitar, I don't know how much that adds to the price simply because it is Kirk Hammet signature. I would go for the Jackson personally, but trying them out if you can would be your best bet.
Quote by DanyFS
This one?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Jackson/SL2Q-Pro-Series-Soloist-Trans-Red-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

They look like amazing guitars indeed. Never tried that model though, but they look very well built

They are different guitars.

The KH 602 has EMGs instead of Seymour Duncans. Which ones do you prefer?

The necks are also different. Jackson has the Speed Necks and LTD Thin U Neck. Jacksons have a 12-16" compound radius and the LTDs have a 14" neck radius if I'm not mistaken.

You should try them both because they will feel different.

Since the KH-602 is a signature guitar, I don't know how much that adds to the price simply because it is Kirk Hammet signature. I would go for the Jackson personally, but trying them out if you can would be your best bet.

I find it to be a good guitar, certainly. Stays in tune solidly, the neck through makes it really comfy to play, and the stock pickups take gain well(though I don't pile it on, so YMMV) and still manage a decent clean sound(again, YMMV).
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
those MIM charvel pro mods might be worth a look, too- i haven't tried them yet. i think the trems are recessed on them now .
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I might be able to get a used kh-602 for $350..part of the reason I keep going back to it..I have played a 202 before and liked it but definitely prefer the non bolted neck version.
Quote by sudzinsky
I might be able to get a used kh-602 for $350..part of the reason I keep going back to it..I have played a 202 before and liked it but definitely prefer the non bolted neck version.

As long as everything is fine with it, the knife edges of the Floyd aren't worn down, etc, and you like how it feels, then go for it.

You can't go wrong with a Jackson Pro, KH-602 or even the Charvel that Dave suggested. They are all good guitars. Just pick whichever you like most, is in the best condition and has the best price.

350$ seems like a very good price, but make sure everything is fine with the guitar
A lot of Schecters would work too. Maybe better off getting a used one with an OFR. Their LFRs saddles wear out after a couple of years and cause tuning instability problems as the wound strings get caught in the grooves worn into the saddles.

Don't be intimidated by any double-locking floating trem. Just block it in both directions at the angle you want it when you do string or tuning changes, stretch the strings completely, and adjust the spring tension with the claw screws so that the trem stays at the correct angle when it's in tune and you unblock it.

It's just that simple.

BTW, Charvels only have 22 frets, so that would be fine if you want to play Het's parts, but a lot of Metallica songs go all the way to the 24th fret for Kirk's parts. Pre-bending at the 22d fret every time he goes there gets old fast.
Quote by SpeedSterHR
A lot of Schecters would work too. Maybe better off getting a used one with an OFR. Their LFRs saddles wear out after a couple of years and cause tuning instability problems as the wound strings get caught in the grooves worn into the saddles.

Don't be intimidated by any double-locking floating trem. Just block it in both directions at the angle you want it when you do string or tuning changes, stretch the strings completely, and adjust the spring tension with the claw screws so that the trem stays at the correct angle when it's in tune and you unblock it.

It's just that simple.

BTW, Charvels only have 22 frets, so that would be fine if you want to play Het's parts, but a lot of Metallica songs go all the way to the 24th fret for Kirk's parts. Pre-bending at the 22d fret every time he goes there gets old fast.

Schecters are a nice option too. I don't like the necks of Schecter guitars though, a bit too thick for my taste, but still very nice guitars.

What you said about FR type tremolos is true. After a couple of string changes, it's peanuts as well. Intonating is still a bitch though, but that may be just me. However, I don't change string gauge or string brand very often, so it's not much of a problem.

Oh yeah, forgot about that detail about the Charvels. A 24 fret guitar would definitely be a better option for TS.
I would highly recommend saving up a bit more. I, for example, got a KH-2 from a guy off craigslist for $800 and a Vigier off someone else for 1k. Both of these have phenomenal bridges (OFR and custom Vigier floating) and are top quality guitars. That being said, in that mid-range (between like 500-800) I really like Schecters even though their necks are a bit thick. Really quality components and solid QC.
i would look into a jackson, SL2 or a DK2.

after that i would look to see if you can find a MIJ charvel in range, i really dig the looks of them. they play well too. the one thing i don't remember if they had recessed routing for the trem. i don't like trems if they aren't recessed. some are dive only. which is only half the fun.

you have one ibanez and you like it, while not being different, their prestige models are pretty nice. i have three and love them. great trems.

as far as LTD, i personally haven't loved their superstrats. they don't really turn me on. i wouldn't get a sig guitar, but that does seem to be a good deal.

FWIW i owned a DKMG, DKMGT, and a DXMG. good guitars overall, but i sold them off and went the ibanez prestige route. also i owned three LTD's EC400, EC401 and an EC1000, they were nice overall, but they aren't my thing. the 400's are better than the 401's, they were built in different factories. my prestiges are the favorites for me right now, i don't think i will be letting them go. all of the bridges on the prestige models are very solid. i can grab the guitar just by the tremolo bar and it will stay in tune (so would a good OFR though).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by SpeedSterHR

It's just that simple.

Thanks for the heads up. How do you know where to set the spring tension if it's blocked in both directions?
Yeah I'd definitely want 24 frets as I'll focus on Kirk's parts.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would look into a jackson, SL2 or a DK2.

after that i would look to see if you can find a MIJ charvel in range, i really dig the looks of them. they play well too. the one thing i don't remember if they had recessed routing for the trem. i don't like trems if they aren't recessed. some are dive only. which is only half the fun.

you have one ibanez and you like it, while not being different, their prestige models are pretty nice. i have three and love them. great trems.

as far as LTD, i personally haven't loved their superstrats. they don't really turn me on. i wouldn't get a sig guitar, but that does seem to be a good deal.

FWIW i owned a DKMG, DKMGT, and a DXMG. good guitars overall, but i sold them off and went the ibanez prestige route. also i owned three LTD's EC400, EC401 and an EC1000, they were nice overall, but they aren't my thing. the 400's are better than the 401's, they were built in different factories. my prestiges are the favorites for me right now, i don't think i will be letting them go. all of the bridges on the prestige models are very solid. i can grab the guitar just by the tremolo bar and it will stay in tune (so would a good OFR though).

I was at shop yesterday and got to play a Jackson SL2 and a KH-502 side by side. The Jackson was so much easier to play..by far. As for Schecters, I do like them a lot..My friend has a couple of them and I would like to get one eventually..but their necks are definitely more chunky than what I'm looking for right now. Think I'm going go with a Jackson..I was pretty amazed at how easy the neck was to play..Felt very similar to the Ibanez Iron Label that I have which is by far the easiest guitar to play I've handled so far.
Quote by sudzinsky
I was at shop yesterday and got to play a Jackson SL2 and a KH-502 side by side. The Jackson was so much easier to play..by far. As for Schecters, I do like them a lot..My friend has a couple of them and I would like to get one eventually..but their necks are definitely more chunky than what I'm looking for right now. Think I'm going go with a Jackson..I was pretty amazed at how easy the neck was to play..Felt very similar to the Ibanez Iron Label that I have which is by far the easiest guitar to play I've handled so far.

Just remember that setup can have a big effect on playability. When you're new it can be hard to tell if the neck shape and fret sizes are making it easy to play, or if it's the action height, string age, or even different amps/settings that are actually causing the perceived differences. With enough work, any guitar can be set up the way you want it--it might require a fret job, though, and that could be a good place to draw the line unless you want to pay to get the guitar PLEK'd by a good shop.
Quote by DanyFS

Oh yeah, forgot about that detail about the Charvels. A 24 fret guitar would definitely be a better option for TS.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?