My original guitar is a 91 Gibson SG and it has been sitting for a while. I would like to get it back up and running so recommend some upgrades. The bridge was completely worn out and I found a $15 replacement but really want to try some new pickups.

SD 59's or Pearly Gates maybe? The stock pups were 57's and I've got some BKP's in there now but a change is in order.

Cheers
Quote by Marrowoflife
…a change is in order.

Why? What is it you want to change? That’s what should determine the pickups you use.
Well I would like to change the pickups. What would you recommend for an SG in general?
Quote by Marrowoflife
Well I would like to change the pickups. What would you recommend for an SG in general?

It depends what you want it to sound like, and what gear you're going to be using it with.

So, we'll need to know what sort of music you play, bands you like etc. before we can really advise anything.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Bands I like: Tool, AiC, Black Sabbath and I lean on the Hyperion Fuzz a lot..
Gear: Orange TH30, Marshall DSL50, MIG100
what bkps are in there? you might end up going sideways rather than doing an upgrade. if you're ok with that and are just jonesing to spend money for the sake of it, that's no problem (wouldn't be the first time I've done it ) but just as long as you know upfront that that's a possibility.

i've never tried swaps on an SG myself but I know bkp normally says to either go low or high output in an sg because the middling output pickups can get a bit muddy in an SG (I think that's the reason).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've got the stormy Monday's and you're right I'm just trying to spend money and try something new just because. The BKP hype is justified if you're playing clean, very noticeable there, but I play dirt the majority.
yeah i haven't tried them but the SMs are pretty much the lowest output BKPs (and alnico II to boot I think), so as you said, probably not the best choice.

How hot do you want to go? As I said, I haven't any experience with a swap in an SG, and based on what BKP said regarding pickups in an SG I'm a bit loath to recommend anything that I know should work in other guitars in case they don't work in an SG
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I'm just looking for heavy tones if that helps.

Yea the thing is the SG is a smaller guitar compared to the LP and pickups will sound different in each I think. Whatever maybe pearly gates would be a good choice.
To be honest, I don't like PGs that much. They're great for that classic rock thing, really good for that.

Think the VHII could serve you well from BKP.
Then, I really liked the Lundgren M6 with a fuzzy tone.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Oct 10, 2015,
Cool I'll look into Lundgren. You're speaking about the BKP VHII?

Sorry it was a late night..I hear you.
1. The SG stands for “solid guitar.”
Last edited by Marrowoflife at Oct 10, 2015,
Quote by Marrowoflife
Cool I'll look into Lundgren. You're speaking about the BKP VHII?

Uhh, yes, as it states there
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
Uhh, yes, as it states there

Uhh, look above
Quote by Marrowoflife
Uhh, look above

Burnt.. though I posted like at the same time you edited your comment, I think.

On a more useful note, I think you could also really like Kiesel Guitars new Lithium pickup.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

It's cool my fault anyway. Never heard of Kiesel? I'll check that.