Page 1 of 2
http://m.chron.com/local/education/campus-chronicles/article/campus-carry-ut-austin-dildo-dildos-texas-6563276.php

What are your thoughts? And let's try to keep from derailing this into an argument about pro/anti-gun attitudes and focus it more towards forms of protest (we have lots of other threads you may refer to if you'd like to talk about guns as an issue)
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Nice. Americans use guns to compensate for their tiny weaners anyway, don't they?
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
That must explain why I don't own a gun

(it doesn't)
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Alternate forms of protest are only clever if laypeople understand what they actually represent.

Any layperson who is not up to speed on the debate is not going to know why the dildo is there without suffering the embarrassment of asking, which defeats the point of starting the protest in the first place.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 10, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Alternate forms of protest are only clever if laypeople understand what they actually represent.

Any layperson who is not up to speed on the debate is not going to know why the dildo is there without suffering the embarrassment of asking, which defeats the point of starting the protest in the first place.

I think expecting people to ask about the protest rather than making it completely direct can have some advantages. Someone may be much more engaged with the topic after they ask about what is happening, rather than simply passing by without the blink of an eye. I wonder how effective a "Babies Matter" sign is at a pro-life rally.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal at #33631841
I think expecting people to ask about the protest rather than making it completely direct can have some advantages.

Yeah, but having a dildo in your backpack isn't conducive to that strategy because it makes the person asking sound and feel like a pervert.

It's probably the last thing you want a curious person to feel if you're trying to further a cause.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 10, 2015,
Protesting is stupid.

Edit: Generally.
Last edited by Rossenrot at Oct 10, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Yeah, but having a dildo in your backpack isn't conducive to that strategy because it makes the person asking sound and feel like a pervert.

It's probably the last thing you want a curious person to feel if you're trying to further a cause.

Oh I figured it would make the person asking feel that the dildo guy was more of a pervert than the inquirer lol
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Rossenrot
Protesting is stupid.

Edit: Generally.

Hm, what about the civil rights movement? or Gandhi's salt march? some instances of organized protest seem to have garnered strong results in the past
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I really really dislike this article. So many pun opportunities missed.

Ex:

"Jessica Jin, who set up the "Campus (DILDO) Carry" event on Facebook, invokes the argument that allowing more guns on campus will make students safe is a phallus-y'

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I really really dislike this article. So many pun opportunities missed.

Ex:

"Jessica Jin, who set up the "Campus (DILDO) Carry" event on Facebook, invokes the argument that allowing more guns on campus will make students safe is a phallus-y'

xiaoxi you should do a full punned-up edit and repost for us
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
Hm, what about the civil rights movement? or Gandhi's salt march? some instances of organized protest seem to have garnered strong results in the past

Some have been effective, like the Civil Rights movement. The vast majority are on the other hand a waste of time.
Getting people to ask questions about x protests seems more effective. Ice bucket challenge might've been more effective than the 'raise astigmatism awareness' thing.

Eventually they'll see enough dildos to know somethings going on and be curious, not sure why they'd be 'embarrassed to ask' at that point
Last edited by Fat Lard at Oct 10, 2015,
Quote by Rossenrot
Some have been effective, like the Civil Rights movement. The vast majority are on the other hand a waste of time.

I'm wondering what it was about the Civil Rights movement that made it more effective than the others?
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
I'm wondering what it was about the Civil Rights movement that made it more effective than the others?

prolly the lack of dildos tbh D:
Quote by vintage x metal

It was morally righteous, well organized, well-led, had clear objectives, and impelled change that ended a hundred years of systemic oppression. It was as much a proficiently calculated demand for equality as it was an expression of manifestly legitimate grievances. That's not to say that every part of the movement was good/benign, or that all changes it produced were positive, but the peaceful protests led by people like MLK and James Baldwin were remarkable acts of first rate citizenship. Their professionalism is miles ahead of the childish tactics of modern victim cults that fill the streets at the first hint of indignation.

And yeah lack of dildos.
Can't wait for Arby911 to bust into this thread with his walker waltz into this thread and talk about how guns are really important and we're all wimps for being scared of guns or something.
Free Ali
lol do you guys really think dildos are so icky? it's okay if you do but they are really not so uncommon or bad
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I think I'd feel less threatened by a stranger with a dildo than a gun just because they can't really do anything to me with the dildo but they can shoot me with a gun so
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

If I remember correctly, there are kinds of dildos that do "shoot."

Which is fantastic.
Oh that's how we should solve America's gun debate:

The line between gun and dildo no longer exists - today, they stand in full solidarity. All guns are dildos. All dildos are guns. Those dildos that cannot be used as guns, and those guns that cannot be used as dildos, shall be put to rest.

wait I am not supposed to talk about gun rights here, sorry
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
lol do you guys really think dildos are so icky? it's okay if you do but they are really not so uncommon or bad

nah it's pretty slick actually (imo ya) but good luck getting all them goldie glocks down there to hear you out when you're lugging around a giant neon dong yknow? D:
Quote by MinterMan22
nah it's pretty slick actually (imo ya) but good luck getting all them goldie glocks down there to hear you out when you're lugging around a giant neon dong yknow? D:

speak softly and carry a big dildo

Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Amendment 2. Section b. - Right to bear dildos.

But not bear dildos.

Bears.

Wat.

preferable to the dolphin dildo

Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

idk I don't know many children who use dildos but I could be wrong
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal

preferable to the dolphin dildo

which is preferable to the cobra dildo

Quote by bradulator
Seems childish and not constructive.

So was the ice bucket thing, but only a twat would say nothing good came from it
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Childish in a stupid frat boy kind of way. Like wow congrats stupid rich college people you are very funny because dildos ha!
Quote by Rossenrot
It was morally righteous, well organized, well-led, had clear objectives, and impelled change that somewhat reduced a hundred years of systemic oppression.

ftfy

anyway OT the majority of people fucked with dildos in their own house get fucked with their own dildos
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by steve_muse
So was the ice bucket thing, but only a twat would say nothing good came from it

That was silly but it's effectiveness can and has been measured. This is more intended to mock and have an excuse to carry a dildo than to benefit a cause. Because college.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
which is preferable to the cobra dildo

is it a duck or a rabbit?

Quote by bradulator
Childish in a stupid frat boy kind of way. Like wow congrats stupid rich college people you are very funny because dildos ha!

I was just pulling yr leg Brad

I think the reason they chose dildos is because of policies that deem dildos as obscene, therefore illegal to carry with you visibly (relating directly to gun carrying policies) and less "lol let's carry dildos", though there is certainly an element of "lol let's carry dildos"
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I think it's been alluded to here, but the biggest difference between successful and unsuccessful protests (and their broader social movements) is focus and projecting a sense of legitimacy. MLK Jr., Ghandi, the Temperance movement folks (in their time), LGBT rights activism more recently, etc., were all successful largely because they were able to do those two things--maintain a specific focus in their desired goals and convince people the pursuit of those goals was a normal activity.

Packing heat of this type doesn't make it clear what they're protesting to those not in the loop and it doesn't seem like a legitimate activity.

I do like it just for the sake of dildos.
This just in

College dildo protest ended in heinous scene of women being stabbed in vagina multiple times
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Page 1 of 2