i have two MIM strats, and will probably pick up an MIA strat in the next bit. i was inspired by a guitar i was working on at my church, so i thought about this...

i was thinking about swapping in a new pickguard on my '95 MIM strat with two humbuckers. i am also thinking about swapping out the trem block, but i am still going to keep it decked. it has graphtech saddles on it now (the original saddles form '95 are long past chewed up).

its a '95 MIM white w/maple board and white guard, all nicely aged with time.

what would you put in for pots/caps/switch, etc?

i don't care about coil tapping, and i am thinking maybe just getting a single volume pot (500k?) and a basic three way switch.

i am not concerned that it will only have 21 frets. i can bend

what would a good pickup set be? i am looking for something that can cut it for modern thick metal leads, nothing extremely heavy, i don't need chugging, just searing leads. i would like it to get thick neck pickup tone. it will only be in E std.

i am more partial to dimarzio than seymour duncan, but am open minded both ways. i have three ibanez prestiges that it would more or less compete with, one with a tonezone and air norton, one with a crunchlab and liquifire, and one soon getting d-activators.

as far as duncans, i am not a big fan of the JB and jazz. the '59 is alright, but i don't think it is what i am looking for. i remember liking the pearly gates and a custom custom when i tried them.

budget for pickups - $160

the rest isn't a big deal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Pots - 500K, audio for volumes & linear for tones. CTS, Alpha, Bournes are good and cheap.
Caps - Orange drop, .022uF is pretty standard, cheap upgrade. Some people don't hear any difference with tone caps, but it's a few bucks and I think the stock ceramic ones get muddy early. Try it out, see if it does anything for you.
Switches - CRL or Oak Grigsby are solid, although you don't necessarily need to change it if the stock one isn't dirty or broken, it won't sound any different. Still, if you're already working on it a few bucks for a more reliable switch isn't a bad idea.

Pickups - Super Distortion seems like the obvious set to me, but I don't play metal so I'll let someone more qualified help with pickup choices.
Quote by Roc8995
Pots - 500K, audio for volumes & linear for tones. CTS, Alpha, Bournes are good and cheap.
Caps - Orange drop, .022uF is pretty standard, cheap upgrade. Some people don't hear any difference with tone caps, but it's a few bucks and I think the stock ceramic ones get muddy early. Try it out, see if it does anything for you.
Switches - CRL or Oak Grigsby are solid, although you don't necessarily need to change it if the stock one isn't dirty or broken, it won't sound any different. Still, if you're already working on it a few bucks for a more reliable switch isn't a bad idea.

Pickups - Super Distortion seems like the obvious set to me, but I don't play metal so I'll let someone more qualified help with pickup choices.

i use bournes for pots and switchraft jacks and switches, but i haven't really messed with caps. i know they are cheap though. what would be a good variety for having extra in general?

i like the super distortion, it rounds out my variety of dimarzio pickups, lol. but i am not sure if i want something that thrashy.

Collin - would you recommend a place that has the pickguard cut for two 'buckers?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
For pickups, you might like something from Tesla. I have used ones from the OPUS and VR series, and found them quite acceptible. My guess is the VR or Plasma series would fit your needs:
http://www.teslapickups.com

Lots of places to get pickguards, like:

http://www.greasygroove.com/
http://www.qparts.com/index.php/pickguards.html
http://www.wdmusic.com
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 11, 2015,
A good 'starter pack' of caps is probably more about values than types, I'd try a few values in two of the major non-ceramic types -
Values: .015, .022, .047
Types: Orange drop, Vitamin T (or some other paper in oil cap - old russian ones are reasonably priced on ebay).

Other types would be ceramic (stock in most guitars) but to me an orange drop is just a better ceramic. The Mallory 150s are fairly common too but they're not that different from an orange drop, so I'd try one or the other but probably not both unless you're just curious. To me, there's not enough difference to go beyond two or three types. The poly film caps (mallory and orange drop) are nice, standard caps, and the paper in oil are cool, 'blurry' sounding caps that are worth a look for a slightly different flavor. I do mean slightly, too. With any substantial amount of distortion you may not ever hear a difference between the types. Best way to test is to wire some alligator clips into your guitar temporarily and then swap caps in and out while plugged in and playing.

The bigger the value, the quicker the treble starts to roll off, so for example if you want to take the edge off your neck pickup without it getting muddy fast, you might try a .015 on it instead of the stock .022 that goes with most humbuckers.
What kind of music? What kind of amp? Just going by the first post, I'd recommend the Custom Custom for the bridge, and an Alnico II Pro for the neck. These are one of my favorite pickup sets.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
I would consider keeping your current pickguard and looking at single coil sized humbuckers first. The Air Norton S would be my choice for the neck with a Fast Track 2 in the bridge. The Super Distortion S and Tone Zone S could also work in the bridge.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Is the body routed for humbuckers?

You've already had (IMO) good advice on pots and caps. The only other suggestion I would make are:

1) Put a treble bleed cap across the hot and wiper on the volume pot(s) to stop treble loss as you wind the volume down.

2) Use two volume pots and go pickup-to-wiper so that you can blend them in the middle switch position, from full neck to full bridge. This makes the tone control(s) behave differently, but I like it on the guitar on which I have it.

If the whole thing ends up sounding a bit warm, as one of mine does, you could think about using a no-load tone pot (easy to make) and/or single/series/parallel switching.
Quote by Emperor's Child
I would consider keeping your current pickguard and looking at single coil sized humbuckers first. The Air Norton S would be my choice for the neck with a Fast Track 2 in the bridge. The Super Distortion S and Tone Zone S could also work in the bridge.

I want full size 'buckers. I haven't been satisfied with the sc buckers I have tried.

As far as amps, i have a mesa Mk4, mesa tremoverb, orange Rockerverb, splawn promod, splawn nitro, Fryette Sig:X, orange dual terror...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Tony Done
Is the body routed for humbuckers?

You've already had (IMO) good advice on pots and caps. The only other suggestion I would make are:

1) Put a treble bleed cap across the hot and wiper on the volume pot(s) to stop treble loss as you wind the volume down.

2) Use two volume pots and go pickup-to-wiper so that you can blend them in the middle switch position, from full neck to full bridge. This makes the tone control(s) behave differently, but I like it on the guitar on which I have it.

If the whole thing ends up sounding a bit warm, as one of mine does, you could think about using a no-load tone pot (easy to make) and/or single/series/parallel switching.

Solid advice, good points.

I am thinking warm and thick are what I am going for.

custom custom and '59? I like the classic lamb of god tones on Mkiv's like ashes of the wake.

What about the pearly gates?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
If you are going for the LoG tone on ashes, I think that Mark used Dimarzios, I know now he has his own Dimarzio Dominions.
You could always add some switches to your pick guard for a db boost or possibly some phase switches. I just picked up a Jaguar and as for now I am enjoying all the switches.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I'll toss out the suggestion of a Duncan Custom. The JB in a Strat is a pretty solid combination though. I mean, does Dookie ring a bell? Granted there was a modded Marshall involved in that tone as well.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by bobafettacheese
If you are going for the LoG tone on ashes, I think that Mark used Dimarzios, I know now he has his own Dimarzio Dominions.
You could always add some switches to your pick guard for a db boost or possibly some phase switches. I just picked up a Jaguar and as for now I am enjoying all the switches.

At some point one of the LOG guy's used 59's in both bridge and treble if i remember correctly.

As far as switchs go, I am going to keep it straight forward. I may do the blend knob thing Tony mentioned though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!