Right, I'm translating an abstract in to Italian for a friend of mine for university.

I came upon this sentence, while they were explaining the trials they held:

A blind statistician carried on and monitored the data entry and performed data quantitative and qualitative analysis of reliability and agreement.

To translate this properly, I need to fully understand the meaning of it (Can't jsut translate literally)

The bits which are stopping me are "blind statistician", the blind bit. Obviousl, he wasn't blind, so there's a different meaning to it.

And, more than that, the "carry on data entry"

May seem stupid, but I'm not entirely sure what "to carry on data entry" means. And thus, I can't translate that part properly. Any help, please?
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by Krieger91
Right, I'm translating an abstract in to Italian for a friend of mine for university.

I came upon this sentence, while they were explaining the trials they held:

To translate this properly, I need to fully understand the meaning of it (Can't jsut translate literally)

The bits which are stopping me are "blind statistician", the blind bit. Obviousl, he wasn't blind, so there's a different meaning to it.

And, more than that, the "carry on data entry"

May seem stupid, but I'm not entirely sure what "to carry on data entry" means. And thus, I can't translate that part properly. Any help, please?

In this sense, 'blind' likely means he wasn't made aware of the context of the data.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Krieger91 at #33632281

Welcome to my life!

Quote by Deliriumbassist at #33632306
I think Slapsy is right on the context of blind.

In this case, 'carried on' means continued.

This, and to clarify, the 'carried on' doesnt' relate directly to the data entry. It just means that he continued doing something, and that something is 'monitoring the data entry'
io sono masturbato interno giorno

you're welcome

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
What does 'double-blind' mean though. Unaware and blind? Never knew, always just assumed that meant a study was more legit
Quote by Fat Lard
What does 'double-blind' mean though. Unaware and blind? Never knew, always just assumed that meant a study was more legit

In a study, its where any information that might affect the outcome of a test due to behavior of the subject is withheld.

For example, a coke vs pepsi taste test:

non-double blind
"This is the coke, this is the pepsi.. which tastes better?"

"I prefer the coke because that's what I've always bought."

double-blind
"This is soda A, this is soda B.. which tastes better?"

"I prefer soda A."

The double-blind test is more valid because it's based on only the taste of the soda as opposed to being based on brand recognition or personal bias.
Quote by Fat Lard at #33632637
What does 'double-blind' mean though.

the administrator and participant are blind

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Thanks a lot guys!

Quote by ultimate-slash
Welcome to my life!

This, and to clarify, the 'carried on' doesnt' relate directly to the data entry. It just means that he continued doing something, and that something is 'monitoring the data entry'

So you translate for a living? How did you get in to it?

As hard as it can be, it's something I would be quite interested in, only every online agency requires some kind of qualification that I can't afford and haven't the time for, unless it's some kind of MOOC.

How did it happen to you?

Anyway, if it doesn't relate to the data entrt, it can't really relate to anything. This is the whole paragraph:

In 2 interrater trials, 35 subjects with the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis (0,5<EDSS<5,5), ranging
in age from 23 to 75 years, were rated concurrently on the BESTest, the Timed Up and Go Test and
the Berg Balance Scale by an expert physiotherapist and a student. A blind statistician carried on
and monitored the data entry and performed data quantitative and qualitative analysis of reliability
and agreement.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by ultimate-slash at #33632553

It certainly makes sense, but I can't help but think about the off-chance that it means something else. Studies don't normally contain colloquial phrases.
Free Ali
Free Lard
I studied translation in college actually. And nowadays I make my living working as translator (also doing some other stuff related to translating) in-house at a large company. The degree is not necessary (and requirements vary per agency), but it did give me few years worth of experience and other knowledge regarding language, which is really nice to have. If you know the basics it really just comes down to experience though.

If you really want to do it, getting some kind of qualiification eventually would look good on your résumé, but there are some websites where pretty much anyone can advertise themselves and look for odd jobs and stuff.

Proz.com and Translator's Café are some popular ones.
Quote by chrismendiola at #33632745
It certainly makes sense, but I can't help but think about the off-chance that it means something else. Studies don't normally contain colloquial phrases.

I might have explained badly, but I didn't mean to say the phrase was used colloquially. I meant to say 'data entry' wasn't used as the grammatical object of the verb 'carry on', which I think is what OP was asking about.

And what ^he said
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Oct 11, 2015,
Quote by rickyj
In a study, its where any information that might affect the outcome of a test due to behavior of the subject is withheld.

For example, a coke vs pepsi taste test:

non-double blind
"This is the coke, this is the pepsi.. which tastes better?"

"I prefer the coke because that's what I've always bought."

double-blind
"This is soda A, this is soda B.. which tastes better?"

"I prefer soda A."

The double-blind test is more valid because it's based on only the taste of the soda as opposed to being based on brand recognition or personal bias.

No, your first example isn't a blinded trial at all.

In a blind trial, the subject will be unaware what they're being given, but the person who gives it will know.

In a double-blind trial, the person giving the subject the <whatever> doesn't know which is which either.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal at #33632795

In a blind trial, the subject will be unaware what they're being given, but the person who gives it will know.

In a double-blind trial, the person giving the subject the <whatever> doesn't know which is which either.

I prefer a double-mute trial, in which no one talks to me and I talk to no one and everyone just lets me play some solitaire on my pc instead of doing the boring research.
Quote by ultimate-slash at #33632767
I might have explained badly, but I didn't mean to say the phrase was used colloquially. I meant to say 'data entry' wasn't used as the grammatical object of the verb 'carry on', which I think is what OP was asking about.

Nah, it's nothing to do with your explanation. I mean it's strange that a study/journal article used the colloquial phrase "carried on" at all.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by slapsymcdougal at #33632795

yes
Quote by ultimate-slash at #33632803
I prefer a double-mute trial, in which no one talks to me and I talk to no one and everyone just lets me play some solitaire on my pc instead of doing the boring research.

yes
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Ok, thanks a lot guys!

Quote by ultimate-slash
I studied translation in college actually. And nowadays I make my living working as translator (also doing some other stuff related to translating) in-house at a large company. The degree is not necessary (and requirements vary per agency), but it did give me few years worth of experience and other knowledge regarding language, which is really nice to have. If you know the basics it really just comes down to experience though.

If you really want to do it, getting some kind of qualiification eventually would look good on your résumé, but there are some websites where pretty much anyone can advertise themselves and look for odd jobs and stuff.

Proz.com and Translator's Café are some popular ones.

And what ^he said

By him do you mean deliriumbassist?

By the way, to and what languages do you translate from?
Yeah, what deliriumbassist said

I only do English to Dutch at the moment, which is mostly because my company is British and all our clients primarily deal with English documentation. That and there's more than enough work in just English to Dutch translation. Could do Spanish and German to Dutch if pressed. Dutch to English as well, but it's less common, as it's usually preferred to translate into your mother tongue.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions but don't feel like typing everything in this thread. Don't have any experience with being a freelancer, but I know translation and work with freelance translators on a daily basis.
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Oct 13, 2015,
Sorry guys, one last question, just so I can be sure (This is mostly due to the fact that, seeming that I'm not studying this stuff, I can sometimes find it hard to fully grasp some meanings)

BESTest “section II” indicates a low reproducibility: the second administration values are
remarkably lower, 0,17 and 0,561 than the threshold of 0,7.

Right, by "second", does it mean the second set of values, or the values of the second administration? (Need to know, simply because good old Italian is such a babidi bupi differently constructed language, that, for it to be grammatically correct and make sense, I have to specify)

Quote by ultimate-slash
Yeah, what deliriumbassist said

I only do English to Dutch at the moment, which is mostly because my company is British and all our clients primarily deal with English documentation. That and there's more than enough work in just English to Dutch translation. Could do Spanish and German to Dutch if pressed. Dutch to English as well, but it's less common, as it's usually preferred to translate into your mother tongue.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions but don't feel like typing everything in this thread. Don't have any experience with being a freelancer, but I know translation and work with freelance translators on a daily basis.

Ok, thanks. I find it quite an interesting line of income, though not easy.

I just know that, as a freelancer just starting, it can be hard to build up to the point where you're making any money at all. A qualification would definitely help.
Based on that sentence alone I would say it's the second set of values. Or does the rest of the text specifically mention something about a "first administration"?

And it can be hard to get started, but it's really just a matter of working yourself up. The more you've done, the easier it will be for you to get work. Once you have a little experience, you will also be able to get away with higher rates more often.
Quote by ultimate-slash
Based on that sentence alone I would say it's the second set of values. Or does the rest of the text specifically mention something about a "first administration"?

And it can be hard to get started, but it's really just a matter of working yourself up. The more you've done, the easier it will be for you to get work. Once you have a little experience, you will also be able to get away with higher rates more often.

It doesn't mention a "first administration", but it does mention "all test administrations"

The items 9 and 13 showed a low statistical significance as to FT2 test administration: 9 and 13 items scores resulted the same value in all test administrations and for all patients. BESTest “section II” indicates a low reproducibility: the second administration values are remarkably lower, 0,17 and 0,561 than the threshold of 0,7.
Was this piece written by an Italian (or someone else whose first language isn't English) by any chance? Would explain some of the phrasing.
In any case, reading this, and considering there were multiple 'test administrations', I would now consider it to mean the values of the second test administration.
Quote by ultimate-slash
Was this piece written by an Italian (or someone else whose first language isn't English) by any chance? Would explain some of the phrasing.
In any case, reading this, and considering there were multiple 'test administrations', I would now consider it to mean the values of the second test administration.

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines. It's the fact that the values are, as a matter of fact, two (0,17 and 0,561) which has made me rethink it.

I'll just go for translating in to "The values of the second administration are 0,17 and 0,561, remarkably lower than the threshold 0,7", to Italianize it, and explain when I give it to her. Maybe, being her essay, she'll undertand.

And yes, at some stages, I asked myself the same question.