Hey,
I'm looking for a pedal to do a stutter effect.

An example of this is in 'The Peter Criss Jazz' by don caballero, starting at around 2:54 on the track. https://youtu.be/9o_C9n0mh_M?t=2m54s

Some pedals, like the Boss DD5 and Digitech Digidelay do this by using an infinite looper and having a non-latching footswitch where the sample time is set by how long you hold down the pedal before releasing (so you get a slightly random time each time you do it).

Others like the the DD3 have a preset sample time (200-800ms for this one) and do the looping while you hold down the pedal.

Does anyone know any other good pedals which can do this? Are there any that work similarly to the DD3 but have a shorter time than the 200ms? Are there any that can work in both ways?

Really appreciate any help/knowledge that anyone can give!
I can't say for sure as I don't have one, but the TC Electronic Flashback might be able to do this with the tone print editor.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Maybe a kill switch. I was looking at the shadow kill pot because it's built into the pot. No drilling.
1. The SG stands for “solid guitar.”
Quote by Marrowoflife
Maybe a kill switch. I was looking at the shadow kill pot because it's built into the pot. No drilling.

Shadow kill pot rocks. Got one on same guitar as a regular toggle kill switch and it's easier to get a more staccato stutter with it, when that's what you want. Regular toggles have their applications, too.

Also Zoom MFX have slicers. It's a great use of the MS-50 if you occasionally need a slicer and several of the other FX in that pedal and don't want to take a lot of space on your traditional pedal board. You get more control with a G1Xon, a G3, or a G5, though.
Appreciate that feedback. I'm probably going to install that on my Rampage.
Quote by Marrowoflife
Appreciate that feedback. I'm probably going to install that on my Rampage.

I'm assuming you're talking a Rampage model with 1 pup and one control...

Wow. Tough call. If I could only have one or the other, I'd take a coil split over a kill pot. I guess you could wire a coil split control switch in the trem cavity in back, or even recess it in the control cavity back plate. Or you could get the pickup ring with built-in switches that let you control splitting and phasing.

But maybe you don't care about anything other than stutter effects. Whatever floats your boat, but it could be a neat project. Good luck.
That's it. One pickup and one volume control.
I don't really like single coil but thanks for the idea. I'm ordering the kill switch right now.

TS did that help you at all?
How does the shadow kill pot work? Essentially I would remove my tone pot and install this guy?
Yeah, and connect up the switch of course.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cool. I may have to invest in one. In one of my guitar I currently have two volumes wired and I use my toggle for this effect.
I've got one in one of my teles. They're terribly expensive for what they are though. I mean they're just an Alpha with a momentary switch.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I've got one in one of my teles. They're terribly expensive for what they are though. I mean they're just an Alpha with a momentary switch.

If you wanted Alpha to build you a switch like that, you'd probably have to order at least 3 thousand of them. It'd probably cost about $4 each thru someone like Mouser electronics, so I don't mind paying $25 instead of $12,000 and waiting 2 days instead of 3 months.

Plus Shadow has to pay marketing costs, otherwise we wouldn't even be discussing them. Add packaging, logistics, accounting, insurance, taxes, and health benefits; it's improbable that Shadow's owners are getting rich off this.

Small-run niche products are always going to cost a lot more than commoditized items.
Quote by SpeedSterHR
If you wanted Alpha to build you a switch like that, you'd probably have to order at least 3 thousand of them. It'd probably cost about $4 each thru someone like Mouser electronics, so I don't mind paying $25 instead of $12,000 and waiting 2 days instead of 3 months.

Plus Shadow has to pay marketing costs, otherwise we wouldn't even be discussing them. Add packaging, logistics, accounting, insurance, taxes, and health benefits; it's improbable that Shadow's owners are getting rich off this.

Small-run niche products are always going to cost a lot more than commoditized items.
At $25, sure. I had to pay over $40 here.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for the link Will Lane, those are some really nice pedals (I've contemplated attempting to get a hold of the revolver but always end up thinking how much I'd actually be able to use it apart from self-indulgent bedroom messing around).

As for the other suggestions, these all seem like different ways of getting a tremolo effect, not the sample-and-repeat of the stutter (probably a bad name for it).

What I'm getting at is a pedal that records a short (in the range of 10-1000ms or so) and then repeatedly loops it. Essentially it is just a looper for very short sound clips. However loopers (at least all those I have experience with) all require one press to start recording, and a second press to stop recording/start playback (making it quite difficult to make extremely short samples).

I'm looking for pedals like the DD3 which automatically record and loop by simply pressing and holding down the pedal, or the DD5/6 or digidelay where recording starts when you press the pedal and playback starts when you lift your foot off.
The Zooms can do that. Line 6's big delay modeler does it with more options and a better interface.