I was looking for a low wattage amp for home use and recording and the Blackstar HT-5R seemed to be the most versatile and a decent choice, both because of its features and price, but recently I stumbled uppon the Bugera G5 Infinium.
Seems to be the exact same thing, but with more features for less money (and, dare I say it, better tones). It's self biasing, it has a power soak, emulated out and so on.
I was wondering if any of you had any experience with it?
I'm interested into the emulated out, since that's the way I'll be recording and adding some impulses to create a better sound.
Are Bugeras any good?
I am aware that both are chinese made amps, and I know about Bugeras past issues.
Also worth mentioning that I'm not gonna use them for metal, but mostly Blues and Blues Rock.
I'm also open to other suggestions for small tube amps with emulated out or line out.
Thanks!
If you want a Blackstar get the 20 or 40. They sound better than the HT5 at low volumes. Blackstar just lowered the prices, so they within $100 of the HT5, and both can be had used for between $300 and $400.
Quote by jpnyc
If you want a Blackstar get the 20 or 40. They sound better than the HT5 at low volumes. Blackstar just lowered the prices, so they within $100 of the HT5, and both can be had used for between $300 and $400.

Hmmm, interesting. This may be the case in the US, but I forgot to mention I live in Europe and the price difference is 200€. Maybe they'll lower the prices in the future, who knows? I'd love the HT20, but for now it's out of the equation.

Thanks for the reply!
The G5 is a copy of the HT5, they do the same things and they sound the same.
They both sound pretty weak imo.

Also a less powerful amp won't sound better than a more powerful amp at low volumes - all things being equal, they'll sound the same.
If you want power tube distortion (which won't make much of a difference in sound with the HT5 or G5 considering they use tubes that are usually found in pre's as power tubes) the 5w is still a hell of a lot of power.

In short, you may wanna follow the directions in these post and refine your request - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Not sure of the pricing in EU but what about the Peavey Classic Mini Head - http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/1449/118739/Classic20MH

It has a USB output for recording, speaker defeat, 20/5/1 Watt modes, etc.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
you're aware they're hybrid, right, not all tube?

what type of tones do you want, and how quietly do you have to play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by metalmingee
Not sure of the pricing in EU but what about the Peavey Classic Mini Head - http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/1449/118739/Classic20MH

It has a USB output for recording, speaker defeat, 20/5/1 Watt modes, etc.

That's an excellent suggestion. This amp seems to be the swiss army knife of low powered tube heads. But the price is a bit steep on this one at about 680€. By comparison the HT5 is 389€ and the G5 at 277€.
Taking a look at higher priced heads, the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 Head looks like it might be good choice. Coming in at around 570€ it has a 18/5/1/0-watt power soak and a red box DI-Out for recording. I love the gain channel on this amp. It's saturated but not as much distortion on tap as the Blackstar, and that's a good thing for me. The only downside is it has no reverb built in. It's not a must, but it would be nice to have.

Thanks for the reply!
Quote by mockbel
Laney Studio + a cabinet (I have it with Laney IRT 112 cabinet).
1W or 15W input, 3 channels, USB out with speaker emulation switch). Perfect for home use and recording.

http://laney.co.uk/products/product_details/156

A lower price version is the IRT15H. Single channels without USB out.

http://laney.co.uk/products/product_details/157

I'm not crazy about the Laney. Nothing against it, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Quote by Dave_Mc
you're aware they're hybrid, right, not all tube?

what type of tones do you want, and how quietly do you have to play?

Yes, I've seen a lot of people talk about them (especially the Blackstar) not being all tube, but the shops still sell them as such. I've also heard people say the solid state element is not in the signal path... I wouldn't know what's it doing there in this case, but I'm no expert nor do I claim to be.

Regarding tone, I'd like something crunchy, not heavily distorted, and with plenty of mids. Something I could cleanup with my volume knob. Think Richie Kotzen.

Thanks for your input!
Quote by Spambot_2
The G5 is a copy of the HT5, they do the same things and they sound the same.
They both sound pretty weak imo.

Also a less powerful amp won't sound better than a more powerful amp at low volumes - all things being equal, they'll sound the same.
If you want power tube distortion (which won't make much of a difference in sound with the HT5 or G5 considering they use tubes that are usually found in pre's as power tubes) the 5w is still a hell of a lot of power.

In short, you may wanna follow the directions in these post and refine your request - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

I was more interested about the G5s and HT5s durability and build quality. And how easy are they to live with playing and recording at home.

Thanks, Luca!
Quote by DukeOfAwesome
I was more interested about the G5s and HT5s durability and build quality. And how easy are they to live with playing and recording at home.

Thanks, Luca!

they're both cheap amps so don't expect them to do a world tour. for home use both are fie. never used either for recording. if they don't have a line out then you'd have t mic them and then it depends more on your recording setup than the amp.
I'd go the Blackstar over the Bugera (though this is based on my opinion of reliability - haven't actually played the Bugera myself yet). Also could consider a Fender Pro Junior though only single channel so not very versatile but great clean sound...
Quote by DukeOfAwesome
Yes, I've seen a lot of people talk about them (especially the Blackstar) not being all tube, but the shops still sell them as such. I've also heard people say the solid state element is not in the signal path... I wouldn't know what's it doing there in this case, but I'm no expert nor do I claim to be.

Regarding tone, I'd like something crunchy, not heavily distorted, and with plenty of mids. Something I could cleanup with my volume knob. Think Richie Kotzen.

Thanks for your input!

it's definitely in the signal path
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What do you guys think about the Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 5 head?
I do think this is a real full tube head, isn't it?
Anyone have any experience with this amp?

Thanks!
Quote by DukeOfAwesome
A gimmick, just as much as the blackstar.
Quote by DukeOfAwesome
It isn't tho - that too has some solid state components in the signal path.

I don't mean to sound rude, but it seems you don't know what you want exactly so it would help us helping you if you would post more info about what stuff you want to play, what your budget is and what gear you own now.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
For what you want get yourseld the lower gain Jet City amp. I believe it was called the Jca20 or something similar
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Spambot_2
A gimmick, just as much as the blackstar.
It isn't tho - that too has some solid state components in the signal path.

I don't mean to sound rude, but it seems you don't know what you want exactly so it would help us helping you if you would post more info about what stuff you want to play, what your budget is and what gear you own now.

Ok, then. You're right, I don't know what exactly I want, that's the reason I'm bouncing ideas of you guys.
I'm trying to find a good tube amp, preferably small package, with some nice cleans and crunchy sounds. Nothing over the top, as I said before, I'm not gonna play metal on this thing, and I'm not sure I ever want to play it in a band situation, but you never know, that's why I'd like it loud but to have an attenuator for home use. And I'd also like to be able to record it without a mic, but rather with a direct line to an interface.
So far in my search the Tubemeister 5 and the 18 sound the best for my needs, but I have not ruled out the other options. Budget is very flexible, but I'd like to keep the costs low. How low? Depends on how much I like the amp.
As for my gear, I play a humbucking PRS SE ZM and a single coil Tele. I don't really use pedals, except for occasionally experimenting with a fuzz and a delay.

I hope this clears things up as to what my needs are.
I don't perceive you as being rude, Luca. Any suggestions and comments are welcomed.
Quote by Fryderyczek
For what you want get yourseld the lower gain Jet City amp. I believe it was called the Jca20 or something similar

Yes, the Jet City Amplification JCA20HV. It's sounds sweet, but has no attenuator and no line out/emulated out. A bit of a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Randall RM20 with a selection of preamps from these guys:
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html

The RM20 has a silent mode and a line out with cab emulation.
Unlike all these other amps you are looking at, it is a full tube amp. Modular tube preamp containing two tubes plus others on the main board. No op-amps and diodes and other such shenanigans. Check ebay.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by DukeOfAwesome
Anyone have any experience with this amp?

Thanks!

I haven't tried it (I haven't tried the ht5 either), but I strongly suspect the tubemeister is hybrid too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I haven't tried it (I haven't tried the ht5 either), but I strongly suspect the tubemeister is hybrid too.

I have a faint memory that the gain boost was a solid state clean boost but otherwise its mostly a tube signal path. I think there was a gutshot of some Tubemeister floating around in this very forum couple of years back and people pondering about this.

But thats just my memory, and its far from reliable.

Anyway, TS dont put TOO much thought into what amp is a solid state, a hybrid or all tube, listen with your ears how it sounds like. If humanly possible test them with your guitar in some shop and pick the one that pleases you the most.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Oct 14, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc

It is.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by DukeOfAwesome
Yes, the Jet City Amplification JCA20HV. It's sounds sweet, but has no attenuator and no line out/emulated out. A bit of a deal breaker for me.
Alright I understand.

Well, know that built in attenuators aren't useful in most cases.
Unless you want power tube distortion at reeeally low volumes that is, but in almost all cases you can get away with preamp tube distortion just fine.

Emulated line outs in guitar amps always sound bad.
It's not an inherent characteristic of emulated line outs, it's a fact, you'd be better off with free amp sims if you don't want to use mics and whatnot.

Again, the idea of having something low powered because you want it to sound good at low volumes is basically pointless - as a general rule, an amp that sounds better will sound better at any volume level, regardless of how powerful it is, so decide on an amp basing yourself on how it sounds, and not on its rated power, 'cause amps have volume controls.

I'd second the idea of a jet city, either the 20HV orthe 22, which is the 2ch one with some cosmetic differences and a some different components that ideally make the sound more "modern".
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Cathbard
It is.

yeah didn't someone post a pic and there were op-amps at the input? just with the ht5 the schematic is floating about. but i'm with you, for me personally, combined with the fact it seems to have way too few tubes for the amount of gain it's meant to have, it's enough for me to say it's corroborated as being hybrid enough for me to consider it a hybrid.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, the first stages are op-amp driven.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
DukeOfAwesome

Get the Blackstar HT5 mini-stack (head and two 10s). I've had mine for over 6 years and had zero problems with it. When I bought mine, I was picking up a new Gibson LP Standard. When I went into the sound room to plug and play, the HT5 was sitting there and I decided to try it out. The tones are delicious. Needless to say, I left with the HT5 along with the new Les Paul. When using a PA, you can mic a 5 watt amp to fill any room. Shure SM57 mics are great for miking amps.

Anybody who claims HT5's don't sound good, either never tried one or doesn't know how to dial in tone. My bandmate did a A/B comparison between the Blackstar and his Marshall Class 5. The Blackstar categorically sounds better than the Class 5 playing clean, crunch, and high-gain with Les Paul guitars. We didn't have a single coil Fender Strat on hand or we would have tried that as wel. Almost every amplifier sounds best when you put it in the corner of a room.

I've been playing for over 30 years and used a plethora of amps over the years. I currently have a Mesa, a Marshall JTM45, a '65 Fender Twin, a Peavey Classic 30, and a Magnatone. BTW - I like to put two different speakers in 2x12 and 4x12 cabs, such as an Eminence with a Celestion. Be sure to properly break in new speakers as well. When listening to the tones of an amp, close your eyes and really listen. Pay attention to how an amp responds to your specific playing style as well. Good luck and enjoy.
DukeOfAwesome

Adding to my last post:
When it comes to tube vs solid state vs hybrid - until about a decade ago there was a distinct and obvious tone difference between tube amps and solid state. (Think high def FM radio vs. a squeaky AM station). I'm amazed at how good some of today's solid state amps practice sound. You can pick up a small practice amp for under $150 that sounds great. 15 years ago, I played through a Marshall AVT hybrid and it sounded better than some of the older Marshall tube amps I had played through. Marshall stopped making them because the AVT's sales were cannibalizing their higher priced tube amp sales.
I'm old school so I prefer tube amps and hybrids. Of course, that's what I'm used to and I can work on them myself.
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's definitely in the signal path
it's just like having an OD pedal in front of any other tube amp. Not a big deal, and they sound decent.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence