So the backstory is that every band I'm in end up being grunge or metal but it's not really the stuff I write for my solo stuff so I'm having my bass my way (flats and mutes all the way) and designating this ol' shell of a Precision bass as my 'metal bass'. It's not a Fender; in fact it's a gem from a notoriously shite British guitar company that I got from Gumtree for £30 and then gutted for other projects but it's a good hunk of wood with solid tuners and a working truss rod so here we go:

For a total of £100, and nothing more, I need:

A Precision bass pickup.
A high mass bridge.
A set of heavy gauge, bright, coated strings.

I know this can be done quite easily under budget from eBay parts etc but this is going to be a gigging and recording bass so it has to be reliable and sound at least ok. I'll go for the Seymour Duncan QP (as always) but I was hoping there'd be a cheaper alternative so I can put more towards the strings, etc.

£100 is the absolute maximum as I'm not factoring in postage and the wiring.

Cheers.

(p.s. The bass is also routed for a double-j pickup at the bridge, just in case there's any good'ns going cheap.)
Last edited by Spaz91 at Oct 11, 2015,
Looks like you need to post a WTB ad
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Sounds like you need to keep an ear to the ground on basschat for a set of used Wizards or Lindy Fralins (or SD's for that matter).

Same for the bridge honestly. You can nab those used Fender high-mass bridges on classifieds when folks upgrade to a Babicz/BAII/Hipshot/what-have-you.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Sliide90027
Looks like you need to post a WTB ad

I don't think they have ever worked for me. The quality of the parts mean that it'll be no cheaper than new besides the pickup.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Balaclava £5
Airtight alibi £20 to a homeless guy
Trip to Bass Direct in Warwick £35 average for petrol

East P Retro, Nordy NP4, Babicz bridge and strings of your choice: free

If we're ram raiding then I'm just having this.

Quote by Tostitos
Sounds like you need to keep an ear to the ground on basschat for a set of used Wizards or Lindy Fralins (or SD's for that matter).

Same for the bridge honestly. You can nab those used Fender high-mass bridges on classifieds when folks upgrade to a Babicz/BAII/Hipshot/what-have-you.

The bridge might be a goer but Wizard pickups haven't gone down in price at all. Apparently these are made to the exact same spec but the price has gone up and I doubt there's a rewiring service any more.