A question for people that are experienced in fret work ?
I have 4 fret replacement jobs under my belt but I am still learning , I much prefer playing guitar I must admit when it comes to making repairs on my own guitars I mostly don’t find time . But Last year I did replaced my frets on my guitar did all the working needed fret dress , re -crown , I play on average about 2 hours a day but there are days when ill play for 3 or 4 , now some of the frets are looking a little bit flat and lost that crown shape not all just some, but there are know dings in the frets and it still plays good , the problem is I don't want to level the frets partly because I hate taking metal off frets unless totally necessary , so would it make sense to just do a re crown on them frets without levelling ? because I feel that the frets are still quiet within the level range - Going off the fact I level the frets last year and there are know major problems with sting buzz or dead notes , Also I remember seeing a video of an old timer who had a few strings that had some dead notes he didn't level the frets he just re crowned the two problem frets that had lost the crown shape and this guys seemed to love this guitar
Last edited by dazzzer30 at Oct 11, 2015,
Well if you're only levelling the first 4 frets or so, you're going to inevitably remove material off them, which'll make the frets sit lower compared to the frets that you haven't crowned. And that'll prevent them from being level with the neighbours.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Well if you're only levelling the first 4 frets or so, you're going to inevitably remove material off them, which'll make the frets sit lower compared to the frets that you haven't crowned. And that'll prevent them from being level with the neighbours.

know My point was I don't want to level the frets and if I was to level I would level all the frets , I mean just crown them ! crowning the frets is not levelling it is just to get the shape so know metal will be re moved from the tops
I should also have point out my reasons for not wanting to level frets if this was not my guitar I may well have just levelled the frets, but because this guitar means so much to me I have another way I am thinking, If you level frets say in my case once a year you might get 3-4 levelling jobs before you then need to replace all the frets which is major work, or don't level frets do a re crown and polish them once a year and just let the frets wear down and when they are too low or causing problems replace them few frets with new ones- which is a partial re fret because I have noticed that some frets will wear down faster and more than others and in most cases I bet most frets will be fine ,. but if your going to level frets then your going to be replacing all your frets a lot sooner with a lot more work and money .
Quote by dazzzer30 at #33632511
know My point was I don't want to level the frets and if I was to level I would level all the frets , I mean just crown them ! crowning the frets is not levelling it is just to get the shape so know metal will be re moved from the tops

Well the fact that the crowns have been flattened means that material has already been removed.

But sure, you can crown the frets if you want to. What is the problem again?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Well the fact that the crowns have been flattened means that material has already been removed.

But sure, you can crown the frets if you want to. What is the problem again?
Hi! I just added another post to explain but basically I am just trying to make a case for not levelling frets and just doing a re crown and to see what people think? You are right in saying" the fact that the crowns have been flattened means that material has already been removed". yes a very tiny amount so small that it can't be measured, I can see by looking because it is shinny but when I measure them all the frets are about the same height and I don't have any string buzz . But to me to level all the frets and lower all the frets just because a 4or 5 frets have lost there crown seems drastic and will result in a total re fret .
If a few frets are worn, then simply recrowning them will not work, for the reasons given by TDB. To get a low action without fret rattle you need to level at least several of the frets downstream of the bad ones before recrowning. It doesn't necessarily mean that all the frets have to be replaced in the future. The worn ones can be replaced, and they will be higher than their neighbours, so can be brought down to the same level as the old ones.
Quote by Tony Done
If a few frets are worn, then simply recrowning them will not work, for the reasons given by TDB. To get a low action without fret rattle you need to level at least several of the frets downstream of the bad ones before recrowning. It doesn't necessarily mean that all the frets have to be replaced in the future. The worn ones can be replaced, and they will be higher than their neighbours, so can be brought down to the same level as the old ones.

If your only levelling the frets after the bad ones that means the frets before the bad frets wont be level does this not matter I thought all frets should be level on the fret board .
Quote by Tony Done
The frets on the headstock side of the worn ones don't matter so much, because they will be higher, and the string will have clearance
I am not disagreeing with you on your levelling of frets but every book I have read says and video shows all frets being levelled and level in the fret levelling process , with the exception of - upper fret fall away - now if your referring to the - upper fret fall way- this would and correct me if I am wrong only include fret 12 to your last fret? and if so are these the frets a should be looking to level? .
Last edited by dazzzer30 at Oct 12, 2015,
not really getting the question here, but in general one levels first then crowns. high or new frets are brought down in height to existing ones.

fwiw, i don't do fall-away. imo it kinda defeats the purpose of having a low action.
Quote by ad_works
not really getting the question here, but in general one levels first then crowns. high or new frets are brought down in height to existing ones.

fwiw, i don't do fall-away. imo it kinda defeats the purpose of having a low action.

Hi! Well the question was can you re crown without levelling frets , I levelled my frets last year and checked for uneven frets today with a fret rocker - and they are non - but I have noticed on some frets the crown shape has gone . Most people say level frets first but my frets are already level so what would be the point in levelling them- I guess when I get time I'm just going to re crown .
Quote by dazzzer30
Hi! Well the question was can you re crown without levelling frets , I levelled my frets last year and checked for uneven frets today with a fret rocker - and they are non - but I have noticed on some frets the crown shape has gone . Most people say level frets first but my frets are already level so what would be the point in levelling them- I guess when I get time I'm just going to re crown .

if your frets need to be re-crowned, this means that material has worn off the top of the fret and the "crown" is gone. crowning them is a waste of time without re-establishing the fret plane (leveling).

if you are saying that after using the fret rocker your flat frets and your frets that still have a crown are still level, then your inspection technique could be an issue.

the only possible cause if what you are saying is true, is that the initial fret work was so bad that you have now leveled the frets through playing. this seems doubtful ime.
Last edited by ad_works at Oct 12, 2015,
Quote by ad_works
if your frets need to be re-crowned, this means that material has worn off the top of the fret and the "crown" is gone. crowning them is a waste of time without re-establishing the fret plane (leveling).

if you are saying that after using the fret rocker your flat frets and your frets that still have a crown are still level, then your inspection technique could be an issue.

the only possible cause if what you are saying is true, is that the initial fret work was so bad that you have now leveled the frets through playing. this seems doubtful ime.
could be ! The thing is I have not been getting any problems with buzz or dud notes my string snapped so I took a look at the frets - and I said looks like it needs re crowning . everything seems level on the frets I used the fret rocker that I put over 3 frets and seems ok - . to be honest when I replaced the frets I felt the level I did was a good job but I didn’t feel the re crowning I did was that good .
indeed it can be tricky. a couple of things that have helped me a lot are:

-using a raduised crowning file. the traditional way is to go with a triangular file and roll the radii over each fret. to me this makes it hard to maintain a consistent profile without a lot of effort. one may argue that "so and so always does it this way" and that is ok for them, but i want a more exact and even radius. the files have safe edges so you won't nick the fretboard and the radius never wavers (provided you keep it perpendicular to the work) because it is part of the tool.

-do final set up and spot leveling (if necessary) in the playing position with broken-in strings tuned where you want them. necks move ever so slightly due to gravity and if you are using a dial indicator to check stuff out you will see differences when the guitar is on it's back vs. in the playing position. all that matters is the best possible playability in the position where the guitar is being played.
Last edited by ad_works at Oct 12, 2015,