Quote by dspellman
These are rapidly becoming pointless exercises.

Agreed, I understand that it is not always easy to actually get your hands on a particular instrument for a test drive, but researching specs and reading professional as well as customer reviews is apparently a dying art.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Oct 12, 2015,
I only know ESP as a brand out of these guitars. However, I wonder how all mahogany guitars are running that cheap ?? I understand that mahogany guitars are expensive by nature... I think I was wrong !!
Why don't you just go used with that budget? You would get a much better guitar if you go used for 260$.

Quote by mockbel
I only know ESP as a brand out of these guitars. However, I wonder how all mahogany guitars are running that cheap ?? I understand that mahogany guitars are expensive by nature... I think I was wrong !!

Those Harley Bentons are Thomman's own brand I think. They are made in China with low quality materials, building quality isn't great either (uneven frets, bad eletronics, etc). You may be lucky and actually get a decent guitar, but they are not very worth it imho.
Quote by mockbel at #33633680

Mahogany isn't just mahogany. In the guitar world, 'mahogany' is most likely not mahogany at all! But rather a more readily available substitute that gets the same umbrella term of 'mahogany' even though it isn't anywhere near the same species. True mahogany species, such as Honduran and Brazilian mahogany are borderline endangered. There are nowhere near enough trees of that genus to supply the guitar world, let alone any other industry.

Shorea and Nato, among other names are what you'll typically find in cheap guitars that are advertised as having 'mahogany' wood, on the grounds that they look similar and have similar physical and working properties.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 12, 2015,
Quote by DanyFS
Why don't you just go used with that budget? You would get a much better guitar if you go used for 260$.

Those Harley Bentons are Thomman's own brand I think. They are made in China with low quality materials, building quality isn't great either (uneven frets, bad eletronics, etc). You may be lucky and actually get a decent guitar, but they are not very worth it imho.

Any recs?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Mahogany isn't just mahogany. In the guitar world, 'mahogany' is most likely not mahogany at all! But rather a more readily available substitute that gets the same umbrella term of 'mahogany' even though it isn't anywhere near the same species. True mahogany species, such as Honduran and Brazilian mahogany are borderline endangered. There are nowhere near enough trees of that genus to supply the guitar world, let alone any other industry.

Shorea and Nato, among other names are what you'll typically find in cheap guitars that are advertised as having 'mahogany' wood, on the grounds that they look similar and have similar physical and working properties.

Right so would the ESP be more likely to have something closer to real ebony?
Quote by dspellman
These are rapidly becoming pointless exercises.

Yea sorry mate but its my budget thats making me ask so many questions. It keeps fluctuating just when I'm about to make a purchase.
Quote by eragon1452 at #33633766
Right so would the ESP be more likely to have something closer to real ebony?

Real ebony? Nope.
Real mahogany? Nope.

Not that it matters either way, honestly.

I've just seen your thread history because I swear I've seen you post another thread like this before and bloody hell just buy an Agile already. Stop making threads.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Hey,

I have a thing for cheap guitars (maybe it's because i can't afford the expensive one's...) and I am very interested in buying a Harley Benton single cut.
Unfortunately I have reached to an indecision. I play heavy metal and I was aiming in having a Harley Benton Sc-1000L Progressive Line VB.

I know that it's not a 5000 USD Gibson but it has 3 things that made me interested in it:

1 - The shape and body
2 - the 24 frets
3 - the active humbuckers

And then I saw the Harley Benton SC-450plus Vintage which is the old L450 plus and I lost myself. (also, are they good for heavy Metal too? or just rock and blues?)

Any sugestions on which guitar should I buy?

P.S.: I know that the HB Progressive Line is for metal, but already have a Ibanez and Schecter but they don't have active pickups, and I woould like to have a different guitar from the one's that I have (they're heavy guitars...). My fear is only one: regretting a choice between them...
Last edited by Filipe.mota89 at Jan 22, 2017,
Don't necro old threads.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R