I have an Ibanez rg321mh I use exclusively for alternate tuninqs. I know I'll be wearing out the stock nut before long. Any advantage to roller nut over graphite?
graphtech tusq material is very slippery I remember the CEO of the company Dave Dunwoodie (probably spelled wrong) saying. The roller nuts I've seen I can imagine have their benifits as well but the tusq ones are direct replacement so if you don't like them you can replace it with no reprocussion.

there is also roller saddles out there depending on your bridge type. For tremolos to all the chinese companies ripping off schallers roller bridge saddles

this was insightful though about roller nuts too
http://www.pasqualecustomguitars.com/pasquales-perspective/20-the-great-roller-nut-controversy

there seem to be ones doing a quick google search that'll be a direct replacement but this kind i got for free from a friend and never used it. Brass and bone nuts depending on what year the guitarist thinks it is are other good options. Gibson and this or that acoustic guitar company guys love bone nuts.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Oct 11, 2015,
I've been thinking about roller saddles, but I have doubts that it would make any difference on a fixed bridge.
Graphtech TUSQ XL nut is already infused with teflon but I always add BigBends nut sauce at the saddle and nut for added frictionless contact point (overkill? Yup! bends are easy to pull off and string stay in tune). Which is for my non locking bridge and nut (Washburn Idol WI64)
Quote by Tallwood13
graphtech tusq material is very slippery I remember the CEO of the company Dave Dunwoodie (probably spelled wrong) saying. The roller nuts I've seen I can imagine have their benifits as well but the tusq ones are direct replacement so if you don't like them you can replace it with no reprocussion.

there is also roller saddles out there depending on your bridge type. For tremolos to all the chinese companies ripping off schallers roller bridge saddles

this was insightful though about roller nuts too
http://www.pasqualecustomguitars.com/pasquales-perspective/20-the-great-roller-nut-controversy

there seem to be ones doing a quick google search that'll be a direct replacement but this kind i got for free from a friend and never used it. Brass and bone nuts depending on what year the guitarist thinks it is are other good options. Gibson and this or that acoustic guitar company guys love bone nuts.

imo i don't like the break angle on that thing.
it seems to me that installing a roller nut would require you to shave off the first few millimeters of the fret board so that the end of nut is in the proper location. otherwise, you have shifted the nut and intonation would be a bitch.
^^^ I agree. That nut in the photo requires major, irreversible surgery to the fingerboard otherwise the guitar will never play in tune.

I have worked with bone nuts and shaped and polished the slots to a pretty good finish where I experience relatively little binding. Combining that with perhaps some graphite lubricant (i.e. someone once told me to try pencil dust in the slots) might be good enough. It also depends on the headstock angle and flare. Failing that, a locking nut might be the only available option but they need to be installed carefully to not throw off the tuning once the locking is done - I have seen a guitar that was impossible to tune because the lock was installed too low and put added tension onto the strings.