I've taken guitar lessons on and off for years now. I'm always really excited and passionate in the beginning and then I get lazy and barely practice before I eventually quit playing all together. I hate that I keep doing this because it's always been a dream of mine to join/start a band. I'm ready to try learning guitar again, but I know that I suck so I think it'll be a good idea to start over from the basics. I don't want to fall into the same bad habits again (no alternate picking, sloppy chords, not learning how to read music etc), so I could use some pointers to set me on the right path. I don't know if it matters, but I'm mostly interested in playing hard rock, old school style heavy metal and prog stuff. What should I focus on to become a competent guitarist?
I can think of a couple of things:

You have to want to play music, not the guitar, to really succeed. - The idea of playing the guitar isn't enough, there has to be some other passion behind it.

Find a teacher with whom you are compatible, someone who can teach you the things that interest you.
I do have passion for music. Whenever I'm alone I sing non-stop. I just never really feel like unmaking progress when it comes to playing guitar.
Maybe your vocation is vox, not guitar? I'm sure one of the reasons I kept at guitar is because I can't sing.

OK, that leaves finding a good compatible teacher. I took piano lessons when I was young (pre-teens) , but didn't stick with it, because all those classical exercises were about as exciting as watching paint dry. OTOH, my mate went to a teacher who taught him using rock music for the exercises. He went on to become a successful part-time keyboard pro, working cruise ships and the like.
Guitar has always interested me. I've only started singing more over the last couple of years because I felt like I'd never be great at playing guitar and I'm naturally good at singing. Being a lead singer would be awesome, but guitar looks like fun too. Plus if I can't play guitar, any band I start would have to have 5 people instead of 4 and that means that everyone would get slightly less money. As you can see, I've thought about this way too much lol.
Quote by Wildspark
Guitar has always interested me. I've only started singing more over the last couple of years because I felt like I'd never be great at playing guitar and I'm naturally good at singing. Being a lead singer would be awesome, but guitar looks like fun too. Plus if I can't play guitar, any band I start would have to have 5 people instead of 4 and that means that everyone would get slightly less money. As you can see, I've thought about this way too much lol.

Plenty of powerful 4 pieces with one guitar, even 3 pieces with the singer fulfilling 2 duties. We have two guitars in one of my bands, and it's really cool for harmonies and stuff like that, and in the other band I joined I'm the sole guitarist which opens up more opportunity to accent stuff more without getting covered up by guitar #2.
You gotta really want it.You have to want it enough to make yourself practice even when you don't really feel like it.You also have to enjoy it!These are the most important things.If you have the motivation then you will do it.Nobody's gonna do it for you.You just have to set yourself realistic goals and then make yourself acheive them one at a time.It's all about the motivation.
Quote by Wildspark
I guess I'll get started by learning all of the songs in this topic: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125532

If I can pull that off, I'll definitely be a lot better

uh,, that's f-lot of songs. imo, ultimately i think that you'll shut down on that work load as well. i suggest playing with other people and possible using your guitar as accompaniment to your singing. for me i can shred on a guitar but i can't sing worth a damn. if you can do both reasonably well that would be a great accomplishment imo.
Quote by Wildspark
I guess I'll get started by learning all of the songs in this topic: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125532

If I can pull that off, I'll definitely be a lot better

damn i've been playing for over 35 years and i can't play all those songs.

you'll do better by keeping it real and not placing to many expectations on yourself. there is a big difference between being able to wank your way through a song and being able to actually play it.

guitar isn't an instant gratification thing. you will suck and it will be a a few years in most cases. this is why so many quit. you do have to really want it. as i said i've been playing for over 35 years and i'm not on the cover of Guitar World yet (or even close to it, link in profile if you want to hear me play though)
I'm in a similar situation. I stopped playing for over 5 years and now a band has kind of fallen in my lap and they all look to me for inspiration.

Stop trying to be good. Stop trying period. Just enjoy the music and work on being the best average musician you can. Give it a few months, come back and thank me.

I cannot tell you how incredibly different my work ethic is now, compared to when I was trying "to be a guitarist". Fuck that mentality. You should spend 5 minutes on a single note and feel satisfied. This will lead to a 'less is more' kind of trend where you will focus and improve on small meaningless things that will compound and help you gain a voice on your instrument.

Seriously, stop trying to be good at the guitar and just enjoy the things you play well. It will turn you into what you want to achieve. Progress in music is oddly irrational in that sense.

Have fun my friend.