Hey guys!

Having a bit of a dillema, can't decide whether I should go for the versatility and functionality of an axe fx, or get a real amp (probably a 5150iii) and supplement it with something like a TC Electronics G Major.

I have heard the two before, I personally think the real amp brings something a little extra to the table (obviously, given that the earlier is an attempt to recreate it) but was wondering which might be a better choice.

Hoping to hear from someone who owns a digital impulser (axe/kemper) and valve amps and someone who's had some experience with the quality level of the G Major!

Thanks
Last edited by davies101 at Oct 11, 2015,
Why not a Kemper plus a G Major?

I dunno my personal choice is tube amp + G Major. Probably wouldn't be a 5153, I don't like them.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Nahh wouldn't do that, Kemper's have a range of fx i'd feel like I was doubling up on something where cash could be spent on something else. Why do you say the 5150 isn't great/what do you use?
I used to own a 5150 II. I prefer the darker, more aggressive Peaveys to the 5153.

My personal thoughts on the 5153: It's fizz city. I've heard worse, but it's not worth the money. I'd much rather a PRS Archon 50 at the same price point as the 5153 50w and an Archon 100 at the 100w price point. Just plain a better amp.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
had a gmajor in my 6505+ and my DSL and it was great. I loved the way it sounded, I just really didnt need all of that. The difference is that I had an amp and added the multi fx, and it appears you dont have any.

Do you have a budget? and or a preface to another amp? or does it have to be the 5150iii
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by oneblackened
My personal thoughts on the 5153: It's fizz city.

Then you were doing something wrong.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Then you were doing something wrong.

I dunno, it sounded like it took the character of the 6505 but made it... I dunno, kinda wimpy in comparison.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I can't say that I've been overly impressed by the Axe FX. I haven't used one myself but every band that I've played against that used one got totally owned by my RM100.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by oneblackened
I dunno, it sounded like it took the character of the 6505 but made it... I dunno, kinda wimpy in comparison.

It's definitely not as mean. That's the one part that disappoints me.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Problem with that kind of sound is if you take away the really growly snarly low mids you're left with a bunch of high fizz, IME.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I got my Kemper a little over a year ago. I haven't looked back since, to be honest, I haven't even looked at getting a regular amplifier again. I don't use pedals anymore either, although I might want to get a good delay again in the future, along the lines of a Strymon Timeline. The built-in effects are decent enough for me that I don't haul around a large pedalboard around anymore, which I used to do before.

I haven't played the Axe FX in a while, but I found the Kemper to be the clear winner regarding amp sounds when I got the Kemper.
I guess the question for the TS is, "What do you NEED?"

A G Major is, more or less, the top of the line multiFX from the last generation. It's VERY smartly set up and the FX are well done. That and a tube amp were among the best that could be done 10 years ago. It's still a great solution if you're willing to live with the drawbacks presented by the tube amp. Despite it bringing a "certain something," it also brings relative fragility, weight, bulk and and inability to work well silently or at low volumes. It also severely reduces the "versatility" factor.