Hello there.

I found a Black SG style guitar. Supposedly it's about 1990s Korean build.
There are a lot of specifications but no clear build info.
That what worries me.

Does anyone know what Guitar model that is?
Is it good?

It could be a simple Epiphone SG Special, artificially aged to make it look older?
However it looks authentic! the pickguard differs from the current Epiphone SG Standard...

Thank you!
Last edited by BuddhaMaster at Oct 11, 2015,
That’s not an Epi. If it was an Epi it would say so. Also the pickguard shape is wrong and the proportions of the body are off. It looks like those weird Gibsons where the template had worn down and Norlin was too cheap to make a new one.

My guess is that it’s an unbranded Samick that was sold through mom-and-pop stores. It’s unlikely to be a Cort as MIK Epiphones were made by Cort and the people at Cort wouldn’t have risked that relationship. And Cort would have possessed accurate body templates.
Knobs don't look right, though they could've been changed. Any pics of the headstock? Serial number?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Quote by Stillhouse
Knobs don't look right, though they could've been changed. Any pics of the headstock? Serial number?

No there is no serial-number.

This is the closest shot you get from the Head.

There is no brand...

That might be another revealing view
Doesn't look like an Epi to me.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Sorry Haven't seen it. Heres a clear headstock pic

And another interesting shot (hardware)

I think I'll take it anyway. Looks solid enough. Sure better than any of those factory made Epiphone, Jay Turser etc. Right?
Can someone identify those Pickups?

Do they look cheap or is it just me? I've got no knowledge there
Quote by BuddhaMaster
I think I'll take it anyway. Looks solid enough. Sure better than any of those factory made Epiphone, Jay Turser etc. Right?

Probably not. Low-end 90s MIK guitars were mostly junk. MIK guitars got better in the later 2000s when the low-end business moved to China and Indodesia.

The bolt-on neck is a sign that this is a junk beginner model. And I can tell from the sharp angle and ragged edges of those fret ends that this is an especially shitty guitar. Not only did the maker not bother to clean up the ends, they didn’t even bother to clean up the tool they used to cut them with. That’s the kind of crap I’d expect to see on a shitty 1970s Japanese guitar.

If you haven’t already bought this guitar, don’t. Just wait a month and buy a $99 Epiphone when Guitar Center is doing holiday sales.
Quote by jpnyc
Probably not. Low-end 90s MIK guitars were mostly junk. MIK guitars got better in the later 2000s when the low-end business moved to China and Indodesia.

The bolt-on neck is a sign that this is a junk beginner model. And I can tell from the sharp angle and ragged edges of those fret ends that this is an especially shitty guitar. Not only did the maker not bother to clean up the ends, they didn’t even bother to clean up the tool they used to cut them with. That’s the kind of crap I’d expect to see on a shitty 1970s Japanese guitar.

If you haven’t already bought this guitar, don’t. Just wait a month and buy a $99 Epiphone when Guitar Center is doing holiday sales.

+1
Thanks for the infos! I will not buy it.

However it goes for ca. 130 dollars.
Im in switzerland and i cannot get a Epi SG Special below 230.
Is that still not worth it?
Its even got new strings. He said 0.010 but no brand...
I wouldn't buy it. It looks very cheap and not well made. In the one picture the low E string is way to far in from the end of the frets so I imagine the high E string is also going to be to close to the edge of the frets. It might just be the angle of the pic but I don't think so. Look at the shadow of the strings on the frets. I would also say whoever is selling it is a bad salesman. At the very least I would have cleaned it up a little before trying to sell it.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Oct 12, 2015,
Judging by the knobs it's gotta be a Fender Stratocaster

The pups are most likely just generic humbuckers--no way to tell from the pic what specific make/model even if they are anything more.
Pass.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Ok thank you very much everyone!

I found a new guitar.
See my new thread:
Albatross Semi Acoustic with Bird Inlays on the fretboard. It looks rather nice, but... is it worth?