I have an Asus UX501.

I currently own a Line 6 Pod 2.0. It is pretty ancient, I'm guessing this is ~10 years old. I just plug it in the mic jack whenever I record. It's getting a little difficult to practice because the sound is unreliable, sometimes it suddenly switches to some soft thin bass-less tone, aside from dead spots everywhere.

I'm overwhelmed and confused on what to buy. Should I replace it with another pod? Or some people use an external sound card. I also see those usb guitar link interfaces.

If a pod isn't the best choice, I'll have to get a practice amp too since I do not have access to my laptop all the time.

Budget: ~ $150
Style: Metal
For: Laptop recording + practicing through headphones
Sounds like a dead pod. Find one with usb (Pod HD Bean) and you are golden.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 12, 2015,
Head over to the Recording Forum & read the stickies, there are loads of recommendations there within your budget
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Head over to the Recording Forum & read the stickies, there are loads of recommendations there within your budget
Ah, I just noticed the recording forum. Checking out the stickies now. Sorry and thank you!
Never EVER record through a line-in. It just and laggs is just a complete shit. Get an audio-interface such as Focusrite Scarlett or M-audio Fast track and you have a solid pre-amp for multiple things (guitar, bass, mics). Then get suitable VST and you're on.
Pawn shops are loaded with audio interfaces. I just picked up a Presonus Firebox for $20. For a laptop you;d want a USB. Make sure it's USB 2.0 as USB 1.0 is pretty slow and from my experience adds latency.
Well if you're cheap like me you can take (whatever size the headphone jack is) to (whatever size the headphone jack is) cord, shove that in the headphone (thing) in your amp and hook the other end to the microphone slot in the computer and BOOM! Keep the amp volume low or you'll get an awful AWFUL distorted sound.
Quote by NubsMcHatred
Well if you're cheap like me you can take (whatever size the headphone jack is) to (whatever size the headphone jack is) cord, shove that in the headphone (thing) in your amp and hook the other end to the microphone slot in the computer and BOOM! Keep the amp volume low or you'll get an awful AWFUL distorted sound.

This is probably the worst piece of advice ever.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by NubsMcHatred

that is some bad info. and this thread is dead. 6 months old, don't necrobump.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/