Page 1 of 2
Hakuna Matata

90s.

It's sux. But remember Pokémon pogs? That was the best marketing move this part of the galaxy has ever witnessed.

ATTENTION D:
UG is sux, we can only have 10 options in the polls, so please vote here:

http://vote.pollcode.com/15142991

EDIT:

THE VOTING IS OVER!

Here are the final results:

• K'Nuckles -------------------------------------------------------------- 4 votes
  • chev311e ------------- 1 vote
  • ultimate-slash --------------------------------------------------------- 4 votes
  • Trifonas ------------------------------ 2 votes
  • ehbacon --------------- 1 vote
  • BjarnedeGraaf --------------------- 2 votes
  • whywefight ----------- 1 vote
  • Minicaxotinho ----- 1 vote
  • FoOltz ---------------------------------- 2 votes
  • mind_meld ------------------------------------------- 3 votes
  • Papersparrow ------------------------ 2 votes

---------------------------
Also, next week it's "Free Week". You can submit any song you've been working on without the usual one week time constraint. Think of it as an incentive to finish a song!

The objective of this thread is to vote on the cover you like the most, but remember: don't base your vote on the quality of the recording, base it on the content.

Here they are:

1 - "Brave (Katatonia cover)" (K'Nuckles)

2 - "Where is my Mind (Pixies cover)" (chev311e)

3 - "Always (Erasure cover)" (ultimate-slash)

4 - "Oh Comely (Neutral Milk Hotel cover)" (Trifonas)

5 - "Given To Fly (Pearl Jam cover)" (ehbacon)

6 - "Hallelujah (Jeff Buckley cover)" (BjarnedeGraaf)

7 - "Sailor Moon (theme cover)" (whywefight, ft. FoOltz, ultimate-slash, nico_9550, SirZep, Hova, Napoleon Bonaparte, Jesus)

8 - "Between The Bars (Elliott Smith cover)" (Minicaxotinho)

9 - "Make Me Bad (Korn cover)" (FoOltz)

10 - "Private Universe (Crowded House cover)" (mind_meld)

11 - "Hallelujah (Jeff Buckley cover)" (Papersparrow)

HONORABLE MENTIONS

------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's last time's most voted COVER, from chev311e, it's "The Kill (30 Seconds To Mars Acoustic cover)"!

AND

Here is last week's most voted ORIGINAL song,
from Papersparrow, it's "Lies We Believe (Truths We Are To Afraid To Speak)"!
------------------------------------------------------------------

If you too want to become a better songwriter/gigolo consider joining our group (http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/mozartfactory/), all the info you need to join this weekly "contest" is there.

The votes will be counted this Thursday (post your song for next week meanwhile). The winner of this week's voting will be a mod in our group.

------------------
CRINGE CRINGE CRINGE CRINGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5RhAb3U_F8

Check out last week's (CONCEPT WEEK) thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33625146
OR
Check out the previous COVERS thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1682394
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Oct 18, 2015,
I think wwf's piece transcends being just a song and should be considered a piece of UNESCO World Heritage.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; man got to tell himself he understand.

Define '90s'.

Looking at you, 'Where is my Mind'
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Nah, I don't think the restrictions are that rigid. Or at least, I think all covers are accepted, but 90s covers give you extra cool guy cred this week.

So your song is acceptable but you're not as cool as the rest of us

Quote by chev311e
Oh shit lol totally thought it was 90s.

Oh well I guess I'm dq'd

lol no one listened to the Pixies in the 80s anyway.
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Three votes later and he's still in joint first so yeah I think your win string may continue lol

But I think most people are holding off of voting for now

I think I know who I'm going to vote for but I'm not going to yet because all the submissions are good
Quote by ultimate-slash
Nah, I don't think the restrictions are that rigid. Or at least, I think all covers are accepted, but 90s covers give you extra cool guy cred this week.

So your song is acceptable but you're not as cool as the rest of us

i totally thought i was doing a 90s cover if that counts

its funny cuz i have bunch of actual 90s covers already done that i could have used.
I guess we could extend the deadline a bit... There are a lot of songs...

Shall we do it? Until the start of the next thread?
Alright let's do this

1. Huge production, I love it. Vocals are a bit high in the mix for my tastes and the lead tone is a tad muddy but this is still a pretty rad cover. The original's pretty good too. You said DG produced the drums, are they real drums or programmed?

2. Honestly never was that big of a fan of this song. But I appreciate it's simplicity and the same goes for this cover. I think you streamlined it even further and honestly in some ways I prefer it to the original.

3. Actually learned about this song from UG. I think it was posted in some 90s songs thread and I remember watching the video and not getting it at all lmao. Just everything about it was kind of confounding. I think sort of like chevelle's cover, you've sort of helped me understand what's great about the original. I think I might prefer the cover here a bit too... I like the more smooth mixed vocals a bit more than the vocals in the original.

4. I've honestly only recently started to not hate this album. I wish you'd submitted the title track because as I've already told you I've been gushing over how great your cover of that is for the last few days. This cover is also pretty solid. I have no idea what I think of this album still and as such I really don't know how I feel about this song. I just read a review that said it was 'one of the few perfectly crafted albums; on par with Loveless and Back in Black', neither of which are even close to perfectly crafted albums lmao. It would be easy to just write it off but I can tell there is something to it and it is a really important album to a lot of bands I like so I think I might end up really liking it someday.

But really what I'm trying to say is that you know an album's divisive when a short review of a cover spends more words on trying to review the album itself than on the actual cover.

5. I love the alternative percussion lmao. Acoustic guitar body right?

6. Ugh this song. It's a really gorgeous song tbh. Perfect really. Such a stellar vocal performance too. I think you adopted some of the vocal inflections, like the super tight vibrato. Right now I feel like I prefer this cover to Papersparrow's but both are great.

7. I had more fun making this than anything I've made in a really long time.

8. I love your voice, why don't you submit more songs bro. It's raw but it's real af. I don't understand why you changed the lyrics but I don't know why I changed the lyrics to mine either I guess haha.

9. Foltz said he was going to do a happy cover of a sad 90s song lmao. And that music video is so profoundly 90s. That chorus sounds really rad stripped down and the acoustic sounds perfect here.

10. The production on this is pretty tight too. Oh god that music video is even 90ser.

11. Bjarned's cover is closer to the Buckley version. I think I like the acoustic rhythm a bit more in the Buckley version but the sound of you sniffeling and the words at the end and the acoustic dropping out part way through is really awesome too. I might like this version more just because of that.

Well shit I thought I was going to vote for chev but I might end up voting for ultimate-slash. I need to start producing more bangers. Also it took me absurdly long to listen to every cover, original and review every cover.
Thanks for the review

You're the first person that says loves my voice, thanks
The truth is I can't sing but the song was easy (if I had to sing in a lower tone it would probably be a disaster, which is odd since it's closer to my normal speech tone)

I don't submit songs because I'm still "finding myself" musically (?). I think doing covers helps. Also I'm a lazy bum.

I wanted to write a review of sorts as well, maybe tomorrow.
I didnt 'find myself musically' until I started doing songs lmao

Seriously bro your last few covers remind me so much of early exactly that
Last edited by whywefight at Oct 13, 2015,
Quote by whywefight

1. Huge production, I love it. Vocals are a bit high in the mix for my tastes and the lead tone is a tad muddy but this is still a pretty rad cover. The original's pretty good too. You said DG produced the drums, are they real drums or programmed?.

Cheers man, the drum midi was exported from a GP file you can find on the site and he remapped it and made it sound good with Steven Slate
Is "finding myself" code for masturbating Mini? It is, isn't it?

I was torn between four songs, but I ended up voting for Trifonas, because I'm really really really digging those vocals. But 1, 7 and 10 take up an incredibly close second spot, and all the rest shares the third spot. Really good stuff everyone

Hopefully you're ok with me huu completely randomly in the next month or so

Ive got a bunch of other stuff I need to take care of first tho
^Who, Mini?

His OP's for these threads are a time-honoured tradition and works of art.

#neverstopmini #ultimateslashtags

Last edited by ultimate-slash at Oct 14, 2015,
Pls don't be mad.

Dumbledor dies.
Just like your voice will if you keep going like that. Or maybe not. I'm not familiar with that kind of singing but you sound like you know how to do it, and it sounded nice.
The instrument at around 5:52 was a surprise, and sounded more lo-fi than the rest of the elements so it popped out in a bad way, but kinda turned the rest of the song refreshing again after that.
I liked the production on your song better (the original makes my ears feel weird), and overall liked your version better than the original (especially the vocals), maybe because I heard your version first, but there's not too much difference so it didn't stand out to me. I'd like to hear some more K'Nuckles in there. I think. Because this is the first time I've ever heard anything from you.
Overall, boa cover
Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker.
And you are ...sounding a bit crazy on this one, more than the original (the other guy reminds me of a kid doing stupid stuff... which maybe was the theme of the song... ). You made me imagine a crazy person picking up a guitar and going at it. Which was a cool thing and suited the song well.
This cover sounds more chill than the original, which isn't bad but I feel like it lacked something. Maybe you should have turned the crazy knob to 11? Or maybe it's just me, I don't have much of a soft spot for acoustic stuff.
Overall it was still a very good cover. But now it totally sucks monkey dongs because it's not a 90's song.
The wolf is disguised as the grandma.
You sounded a bit too quiet here.
I guess it gave the song a different atmosphere, sounded more intimate, but I'd like to hear some soaring and sparkling vocals, like they just came out of a closet somewhere.......
...Anyway.
I also think some of the synth-things could be a bit louder, but still, I liked it. They were tight, well played
Great, fun cover, but having an earworm is no fun. ...It is, a bit.

And "finding myself" could totally be used as a metaphor for a small penis. Not mine, someone else's.
Goddamn you all to hell, THIS WAS EARTH ALL ALONG.
You sing sooooooo well, how do you do it?
Would have liked to hear some trumpets or whatever they play in the original version, but oh well. That's actually a bit hypocritical, because I think your song sounds almost exactly like the original. It stood out performance-wise, but I'd have liked to hear something different, even some slight difference (omitting instruments doesn't count though :P ).
Still, very very good vocals/playing.
Also, great "In the airplane..." cover, I'll have to take a listen to the whole thing
OBEY... the aliens disguised as humans.
You have lots of options, lots of stuff you can do to improve
I'm not very fond of acoustic stuff, so I'm not an authority on the subject, but I feel like your cover would be way better if you sang. Even if you don't feel comfortable singing, you should try, it would add so much.
As it stands it gets a bit boring because it doesn't have many elements, taking the time span of an entire song that uses drums, guitars, vocals...
Even if you only have a guitar, try to sing or hum, try a cheap harmonica, try adding more guitar tracks, where one of them could be a vocal melody line, a "bass" line, whatever you have / can get / use.
About that percussion, tapping on the guitar is a cool alternative when you don't have drums, and it added something to the song, but still not enough in my opinion
You can play, but you need to add more elements to your songs.
Keep going man
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Oct 14, 2015,
It was all an hallucination while he was dying.
Bear the Count. Count Bear.
You made the intro a bit eerie, I liked it a lot. But then it turned... not eerie.
It didn't do much for me after that, but you played and sang well
The kids DON'T get eaten by the witch.
This was so fucking cool
Only complaint I have: It kept the same energy throughout, I kept waiting for a mad church organ to show up but it never did
Other than that, amazing. Made me laugh. Very original. Loved the ending.
The kids discover the meaning of Christmas.
I don't like Korn, I find them annoying, but your cover wasn't
Your voice suited the song, it was a bit edgy but still it all turned out pretty chill.
However... I don't like Korn. I'm not sure that's the problem, but this didn't do much for me
The heroes win.
This was great. I kind of agree with K'Nuckles that it was better than the original, but I still like some things from the original better, like some vocal melodies (ex: "... breaking free...") and the way he sang some words giving them a cool rhythm (ex: "... wasn't getting any better..."), and also the vocals sounded clearer, I think you had too much reverb (was it reverb?) at times.
But what makes me like your version more is the energy, especially in the vocals. Great singing, great percussion (similar to the original but hey... still nice), well placed guitar and piano, and THEY TALK TO ME, THE BIRDS TALK TO ME.
Loved it, it just pushes the right buttons for me.
America wins.
I wasn't expecting that... :'/
Well, you can play, and seems like this isn't your first rodeo (those 8 Elliott Smith covers in a row... in one take... nice) but yeah...
I liked that you messed with the song, but didn't do much for me, maybe because... it's an acoustic song. (Says the guy who covered an acoustic song and still kept it acoustic)

Symon Cowel out. Piece out bitxes
These were only my personal opinions, don't h8.
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Oct 14, 2015,
How dare you criticize my art?!

Bruce Willis is the ghost!
Thanks for the crit tho!

I have a lot of voice insecurities because i grew up with a lisp (which i worked hard to get rid about 5 years ago). Also i grew up in Philly and New Jersey so i have an accent different from the ones i hear all day, making it so that when i hear my own voice i don't like it because i never hear an accent that is similar.

Plus to take on a Pearl Jam song for the first time i sang here would be a bit daunting

But thx for critique, seems like a lot of work haha
Last edited by ehbacon at Oct 14, 2015,
ya know I'm pr sure a supermod can add more options to a UG poll
unless I'm mistaken
so PM a blue guy (called theguitarist) next time and see
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Page 1 of 2