Page 1 of 4
"Thank you"

Or "gesundheit" or some other variant of this exchange.

Social formalities confuse me, but this one perplexes me the most. Someone explain to me why we do this and why some people make such a fuss about it.
Free Ali
Because sneezing is a sin that will be met with eternal punishment if another person doesn't instantly bless you
Blame in on the Pope and the Plague.

But now it's merely a cultural habit, a conversational convenience.

Not a bad thing though.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Because even Hitler felt bad if he didn't do it.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I like it, especially when qties sneeze. Or if one of my friends does so that I can say something stupid to him or her.

Also, we say 'na zdravje' which means 'to health'.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I heard it comes from the plague times, or just olden days where people would often die from colds and stuff, so someone sneezing was usually a sign they could die. So "bless you" became a thing as its a shortened prayer

Its just a polite thing to do now
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Arby911 at #33633891
But now it's merely a cultural habit, a conversational convenience.

Some people take it pretty seriously. I've witnessed firsthand people getting pissed that nobody says "bless you" when they sneeze and people getting pissed when you don't thank them.
Free Ali
When a hunny sneezes and no one else says bless you and then you say it, it's a good look.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by chrismendiola
Some people take it pretty seriously. I've witnessed firsthand people getting pissed that nobody says "bless you" when they sneeze and people getting pissed when you don't thank them.

Never seen that happen, but strangers seem to be pretty happy if you pay attention to them and do the polite thing even though you have no obligation to do so.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Never seen that happen, but strangers seem to be pretty happy if you pay attention to them and do the polite thing.

"And if you'll accompany me into this secluded alley, I will finish the blessing by anointing your tonsils with by baby gravy"
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by chrismendiola

Yeah, we'll probably never run out of assholes.

I would be willing to bet that a huge percentage of people don't even know why they do, or expect, it, much less why they would get pissed off about it.

I argue here like we all do, but IRL there's actually very little that upsets me, and something like this wouldn't even rise to the level of trivial annoyance.

Quote by ErikLensherr
When a hunny sneezes and no one else says bless you and then you say it, it's a good look.

Unless she's a militant atheist and thinks you're a fantasy supporting traditionalist loser...
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Oct 12, 2015,
Quote by chrismendiola
People like that are in need of sex and you shouldn't concern yourself with their problems.

GFDI arby ninjaing me
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY
Quote by chrismendiola
"Thank you"

Or "gesundheit" or some other variant of this exchange.

Social formalities confuse me, but this one perplexes me the most. Someone explain to me why we do this and why some people make such a fuss about it.
i think it was because during the days of ol' before modern medicine was a thing, especially during the plague and middle ages, a sneeze could mean a sign of a coming illness that could, in that time, easily become fatal. so people said "bless you" as a shorthand version of "you're about to g3t wr3cked, pray to jesus."

i normally say that german(?) word because it doesn't have so much of a religious context (which no one means anymore) and just a way of saying "you sneezed, i noticed."
Quote by slapsymcdougal
"And if you'll accompany me into this secluded alley, I will finish the blessing by anointing your tonsils with by baby gravy"

Brah I have access to chloroform three times per week, do you really think I bother with politesse in that situation?

Actually, I've heard that chloroform doesn't work as fast as they portray in movies so it's not really that convenient for knocking people out - they still struggle with you a lot before passing out so you might as well just drag them to said alley.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Brah I have access to chloroform three times per week, do you really think I bother with politesse in that situation?

Actually, I've heard that chloroform doesn't work as fast as they portray in movies so it's not really that convenient for knocking people out - they still struggle with you a lot before passing out so you might as well just drag them to said alley.

It's true, I just talk about chloroform a lot so the rozzers will think that's what I actually do, and I'll continue getting away with it!
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by JamSessionFreak

Propofol is probably the fastest, but as an injectable it's not very convenient to your nefarious schemes...
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911 at #33633910
Unless she's a militant atheist and thinks you're a fantasy supporting traditionalist loser...

Well then she's prolly a legbeard and I don't want to bless her anyway.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Hmm, we use something very similar as an inhibitor in free-radical reactions. Maybe that could do the job but I don't have access to it that often.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
I've witnessed this exchange four times, each instance a different pair of people, since I've made this thread. I'll post my analysis once I've concluded my study about this pressing matter.
Free Ali
My (drunken) friends and I decided that since a really good sneeze can be close to a religious experience, or almost as gratifying as some sex, "bless you" came into being to either absolve you of gaining pleasure (which is against all things Christian), or ask for forgiveness of God on your behalf for having a spiritual epiphany that doesn't include Him. There is no other possible reason. We decided it. That is all. No one shall reserve the right to oppose us in our decision on the topic. Your historical references are moot. Your logic contrary to our decision is invalid. You will be assimilated.
Quote by Will Lane at #33633912
i think it was because during the days of ol' before modern medicine was a thing, especially during the plague and middle ages, a sneeze could mean a sign of a coming illness that could, in that time, easily become fatal. so people said "bless you" as a shorthand version of "you're about to g3t wr3cked, pray to jesus."

i normally say that german(?) word because it doesn't have so much of a religious context (which no one means anymore) and just a way of saying "you sneezed, i noticed."

omg i literally just said that
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Basscooker
My (drunken) friends and I decided that since a really good sneeze can be close to a religious experience, or almost as gratifying as some sex, "bless you" came into being to either absolve you of gaining pleasure (which is against all things Christian), or ask for forgiveness of God on your behalf for having a spiritual epiphany that doesn't include Him. There is no other possible reason. We decided it. That is all. No one shall reserve the right to oppose us in our decision on the topic. Your historical references are moot. Your logic contrary to our decision is invalid. You will be assimilated.
well. i do like to sneeze though.
Quote by Bladez22
oh whoops. my bad.
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 12, 2015,
fact: cursing like a sailor as soon as you let out a massive sneeze makes the pleasure even more intense

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by Bladez22 at #33633931

Neither of you answered the question, though. Pretty much everyone knows the supposed historical context of it (I've never bothered to check that for accuracy). It should be noted, also, that there are plenty of other suggestions regarding the origins of this phenomenon. I think I remember reading that there's historical evidence that some variant of "Bless you" some time well before the Plague- like, a thousand years before it happened.

But why'd it become like a thing to do for the sake of politeness? I'm almost always oblivious to social formalities, but I can at least understand some of them- this one is too perplexing to me as to why people even bother. How is acknowledging someone sneezing polite?

Additionally, there are variations of this that aren't congruent with this explanation. Spanish-speakers say "salud" and the German word "gesundheit" both can be directly translated to "health." Those are the only ones I know, though, because I've spent some amount of time studying both languages. According to the JamSessionFreak, the same is true for Slovenian.

EDIT: Now that I've said that, I'm interested in how this works in other cultures. I don't remember this ever happening in the Philippines, but I only lived there until I was 7 and visited for a month some years ago.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Oct 12, 2015,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
fact: cursing like a sailor as soon as you let out a massive sneeze makes the pleasure even more intense

Confirmed.
My sneezes are usually followed by me calling them a fucking bastard.
I was unaware of this until me wife pointed it out.
Quote by chrismendiola at #33633944
Neither of you answered the question, though. Pretty much everyone knows the supposed historical context of it (I've never bothered to check that for accuracy). It should be noted, also, that there are plenty of other suggestions regarding the origins of this phenomenon. I think I remember reading that there's historical evidence that some variant of "Bless you" some time well before the Plague- like, a thousand years before it happened.

But why'd it become like a thing to do for the sake of politeness? I'm almost always oblivious to social formalities, but I can at least understand some of them- this one is too perplexing to me as to why people even bother. How is acknowledging someone sneezing polite?

Additionally, there are variations of this that aren't congruent with this explanation. Spanish-speakers say "salud" and the German word "gesundheit" both can be directly translated to "health." Those are the only ones I know, though, because I've spent some amount of time studying both languages. According to the JamSessionFreak, the same is true for Slovenian.

EDIT: Now that I've said that, I'm interested in how this works in other cultures. I don't remember this ever happening in the Philippines, but I only lived there until I was 7 and visited for a month some years ago.

I think its because sneezing is both involuntary and its a sign that the person is ill, so saying bless you is a way of saying I hope you feel better soon
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by chrismendiola

yeah if I was with a friend and they didn't acknowledge that I sneezed or anything I might be a little offended. well, not offended really...it would just be weird that they didn't say anything because there wouldn't be any closure and then i'd be wondering if my sneezy noise was so awkward that they didn't want to draw attention to it. Whereas saying "bless you" is like saying "ok cool you sneezed now let's move on."

I don't go around sneezing in public and picking fights with strangers who don't say bless you to me though lol
cat
Quote by guitarxo
yeah if I was with a friend and they didn't acknowledge that I sneezed or anything I might be a little offended. well, not offended really...it would just be weird that they didn't say anything because there wouldn't be any closure and then i'd be wondering if my sneezy noise was so awkward that they didn't want to draw attention to it. Whereas saying "bless you" is like saying "ok cool you sneezed now let's move on."

I don't go around sneezing in public and picking fights with strangers who don't say bless you to me though lol

I don't think they would hear you sneeze.
Just a little tssss, like a cat sneeze.
Quote by Bladez22 at #33633964
I think its because sneezing is both involuntary and its a sign that the person is ill, so saying bless you is a way of saying I hope you feel better soon

Okay, but (1) sneezing is not always a symptom of illness- but I guess people don't know that. I don't know what my point is there, really (2) people sneeze multiple times and people will say "bless you" each time. The redundancy is pointless if this is the case. And I really doubt this is the intention of most people. I think it's just social conditioning, but I can't really prove it. When you say "bless you," do you really intend to wish the afflicted person a speedy recovery?

Like, I get that we do out of courtesy, but is it actually just meaningless?

These questions need answers.
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
Okay, but (1) sneezing is not always a symptom of illness- but I guess people don't know that. I don't know what my point is there, really (2) people sneeze multiple times and people will say "bless you" each time. The redundancy is pointless if this is the case. And I really doubt this is the intention of most people. I think it's just social conditioning, but I can't really prove it. When you say "bless you," do you really intend to wish the afflicted person a speedy recovery?

Of course it's meaningless. Just like the universe.

Everyone should just stop bothering, lie down and wait for death.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by UltimateGuizar
I don't think they would hear you sneeze.
Just a little tssss, like a cat sneeze.

lmao no my sneezes make my ears ring after i'm done
cat
On the topic of sneezing I never understood how people say anything other than "achoo". Girls tend to have super high pitch sneezes and then there was one guy who was like "hi-TAHWEE".

Also I don't feel obligated to say bless you to anyone, friend or stranger.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Quote by Cardbored at #33633989
On the topic of sneezing I never understood how people say anything other than "achoo". Girls tend to have super high pitch sneezes and then there was one guy who was like "hi-TAHWEE".

Lol, right? I used to sit next to a girl in 8th grade science whose sneezes just sounded like her saying "chew." You heard no part of a sneeze. Speaking of which, I think it's really weird when people try to suppress their sneeze.

But I guess "achoo" is conditioning as well. I've thought about this before when I moved and people would say "ow" or "ouch." I was used to people saying "aray." It's pretty interesting that people vocalise their expressions of pain differently depending on the culture.
Free Ali
Suppressing sneezes is easy, just cover your nostrils with your index finger or something. I'd rather that than sneeze on my sleeve in case there's snot. Also you avoid any disturbances
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Quote by Cardbored
Suppressing sneezes is easy, just cover your nostrils with your index finger or something. I'd rather that than sneeze on my sleeve in case there's snot. Also you avoid any disturbances

I always let them rip. I'm scared I'll blow snot out of my ears like a fire hydrant if I hold it back. And somebody please explain why it is that when a sneeze wants to happen, but won't, looking at a bright light "helps" it along.
Quote by Cardbored

I got thrown out of class once for sneezing.
I went, aaachoo, aaanotherchoo. Genuine sneezing but I dressed the last one up just for giggles.
Bitch told me to leave.

Also I think hi-tahwee means achoo in some asian language, I'll have to ask Gary.
Last edited by UltimateGuizar at Oct 12, 2015,
Quote by Basscooker at #33634002
I always let them rip. I'm scared I'll blow snot out of my ears like a fire hydrant if I hold it back. And somebody please explain why it is that when a sneeze wants to happen, but won't, looking at a bright light "helps" it along.

It's something called "photic sneeze reflex" and you can Google it if you're interested in learning more. It affects something like less than 30% of people.
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola at #33633976

that's true, dust and other irritations will cause sneezes, as will other sensory inputs. So I don't really know, I've always found it weird that coughs don't warrant a bless you, and accidental burping is rude and its polite to say excuse me, but not with coughs/sneezes which are arguably more rude as you're potentially making other people ill

I guess its just a weird social quirk. I'm rather fond of it as it is quite sweet, and its little bits of politeness and kindness that makes the world a better place

Like if I'm on a train and I sneeze, and someone says bless you, or vise versa. Then I thank them and we both have a little smile and feel a little better about the world, bonus points if they're a qt
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Page 1 of 4