Hi all!

Still looking for an beefy distortion pedal/preamp, please help

I have used Boss MT-2 (not mine), AMT SS-11b (not bad) and right now I'm using Hughes & Kettner Tubeman 2 (it's good, but too "oldy" to me).

It's vital to me to have tube preamp or good pedal distortion couse I play in the club with no good gear at all.

If it helps here is my chain -

Guitar (ESP Esa Holopainen Black Sun Signature Eclipse)
Tuner - Korg
Compressor - Strymon OB1
Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TB
H&K Tubeman
MXR Kerry King EQ
and modulation
Strymon Ola Chorus
Strymon El Capistal Delay
Strymon Blue Sky Reverb
Plus ISP Decimator and Behringer DI Box

And still I can't find my perfect sound!
Amps are different all the time, Marshall stack in the return chain mostly.

So please name me some pedals or tube amps to try!
I need modern and beefy sound in the pedal model, can't use rack or amp dist unfortunately!
Sounds like you need a new amp.
What style/genre of music? New or used? budget? location?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I'm looking something like Lacuna Coil sound or modern metal bands
Budget is not so important
And I'm not talking about amps, I don't have ability to use my own amp at the gigs, so I can only rely on my pedalboard and a good preamp or dist pedal
tough since matching pedals to amps often gets the best results. guess you might want to look into one of those Blackstar distortion pedals that has a tube in it. you might also wantto look into something like a POD HD if you can't use amps
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
AMT Legend series pedals would be what I'd look into
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
On the recommendation of a guitarist acquaintance who plays clubs regularly, I picked up a Boss '59 Bassman effect pedal. It is probably the best pedal I own for a bluesy distortion to add that edge to the tone. My other pedals are mostly suited for metal and very crunchy tones, whereas the '59 Bassman sounds more like a ... a '59 Bassman amp, I gather. I am very pleased with it.
Amptweaker Tightmetal may be what you're looking for. It's a preamp pedal, so you can run it into the effects loop return and just use whatever amp you've got as a power amp. It has effects loops built in, too, so you can use your time-based effects like normal.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Is there a reason why you are at the mercy of the club when it comes to what amp you are using? Get yourself a nice amp and tell the club to go ---- themselves if they give you a hard time about it.

If you can't do that. Get a POD.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Look at Blackstar HT range, I think they have a metal one. I tried their HT-Dual and it is comparable to the H&K Tubeman II. Have you tried boosting the Tubeman? Maybe an overdrive in front, like one of the cheaper Joyo pedals should do the job.

Have you tried giving FOH a feed from your H&K emulated out? That might be the fix, have them send you that in your wedge monitors and use the back only as a reference monitor.

I wouldn't worry too much about shows though - most of the time your stage sound will be bad, just learn to deal with it. As long as you can hear yourself in level you should be happy. After a while my band honed our stage set so well that we didn't really need the stage sound at all, we just cued off of the drummer so the monitoring didn't matter as much. We had an engineer fried usually keep the FOH guys in check so our levels would be fine for the crowd but we didn't really gripe that much about stage sound after a while.

I think your problem is really the varying gear so you won't be able to find "the sound" for yourself, so don't bother. Get something serviceable and live with it.
AmpTweaker Tightmetal
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Try a used POD HD floorboard of some sort. I also like the sound of the Verellen Skyhammer Preamp pedal but that may be a bit pricey and british sounding for you.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
AMT Legends 2, or a Boss Power Stack on the cheap.

Power Stack super underrated. I used one to turn a Fender Deluxe into a roaring heavy metal machine
I have been looking at an isp theta preamp. The demos sound good. I haven't been able to test one out myself yet though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I would recommend Tim Jauernig's Gristle King. I´ve got the 3rd version and it has a pretty good range from boost, overdrive, distortion until fuzz nearly. Has 2 switches so you can use it as a preamp and distortion separately. It is warm but it can bite too. Have a look at it

Jules
(Hello everyone, this is my first post!)
Last edited by bluesjules at Oct 18, 2015,
Check out the Seymour Duncan Dirty Deed. They are much heavier sounding than an overdrive, and don't have a mid hump that also swallows the bass up. It is also cheaper than a lot of boutique overdrives. The Duncan website has several soundclips/videos/blogs about it. I think it will well for you.