I can't seem to get any sound I like out of my gear even though I have gathered together all the stuff I wanted for my tone.

Amp: HT-5R blackstar
Guitar: PRS SE Santanna
PUPS: pearly gate in neck, custom custom in bridge
additional pedal: Metal End Biyang

I feel like I already put a good chunk of money into my stuff and I am not in any position to drop a whole lot more on it. I really strive for a neoclassical lead guitar tone ala Versailles, Galneryus (although they are exspensive tones I know ill never achieve) but I struggle just to find any sound I enjoy hearing out of my stuff.

If I really crank my tube amp volume it starts to sound FARRR better but my living conditions have it stuck at a very low volume. I've tried messing with the EQ so many times.... it either sounds horribly muddy or WAYY to bright.

any assistance on making what I have work better for me I would appreciate it.
you need an overdrive pedal not a metal pedal. your amp is fairly basic so it isn't very flexible as i recall it only has a tone knob.
You have a vintage voiced amp. Any $50 tube screamer clone will push it into the modern sound you want. Just turn the pedal’s drive knob down and the volume knob up.
try a Digitech Screamin Blues OD/Distortion pedal... I bought brand new $44 on ebay.
So OD is what I am after then. I was looking at the Boss SD-1, any objections to this pedal then?
I quite like the SD-1 tbh. But contact Tim at Toyroom Effects (greeny23 here at UG) and get him to build one for you. His has a few tweaks that I particularly like. I own a TS-808, Timmy, Green Rhino, Bad Monkey, Soul Food and a Toyroom OD+ and it's the Toyroom one that I use most.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 12, 2015,
For low volume at home and recording I will set my amp to a clean setting and use one of my older Ibanez TS pedals (either TS10 that was moded by Robert Keeley many years ago or an old TS9) but I like using the Bad Monkey also. For a real push I set the Bad Monkey to a lower gain and run it into a TS pedal. This combination gives great sustain and nice distortion without too much noise.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Oct 13, 2015,
Quote by Blicer
So OD is what I am after then. I was looking at the Boss SD-1, any objections to this pedal then?

sometimes they have a bit of bleed in bypass which can be annoying if you don't have another buffered pedal to put in front of it (which cures it). but as to the actual sound of the pedal when it's on, it's awesome. i really like the sd1. I think i prefer it to a tubescreamer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Blicer
I can't seem to get any sound I like out of my gear even though I have gathered together all the stuff I wanted for my tone.

additional pedal: Metal End Biyang

I feel like I already put a good chunk of money into my stuff and I am not in any position to drop a whole lot more on it. I really strive for a neoclassical lead guitar tone ala Versailles, Galneryus (although they are exspensive tones I know ill never achieve) but I struggle just to find any sound I enjoy hearing out of my stuff.

If I really crank my tube amp volume it starts to sound FARRR better but my living conditions have it stuck at a very low volume. I've tried messing with the EQ so many times.... it either sounds horribly muddy or WAYY to bright.

any assistance on making what I have work better for me I would appreciate it.

-a lot of the neo-classical folk like chorus and/or delay. you could look into that as well.

-a basic od pedal might be best.

-don't know too much about your amp, but a lot of amps don't really develop anything useful at the lowest possible volume settings. maybe something like a power soak would allow you to crank it but still have the sound level low.

-while good equipment certainly helps, good tone isn't all about the gear.
Last edited by ad_works at Oct 13, 2015,
Yep overdrive/tube screamer is the way to go. Chorus, delay or reverb can smoothen out the sound and make it less "dry".

And well, yeah it will sound better cranked, cant help you there.
OD, look for a Digitech Bad Monkey or a Hardwire cm-2 I believe it's called(mono come here and correct my mistake )
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
The Bad Monkey is a useable pedal, but its buffer is a bit of a tone sucker. You can live with it by adjusting the amp EQ pretty much but there are better options if you have a few extra dollars.
As far as tubescreamer derivatives, I quite like my Green Rhino. They cost a bit more than the Bad Monkey but not that much. I paid $115 in Australia for one, the Bad Monkeys are about $80.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ lol here the bad monkey is £20 and the green rhino is just over £100!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Blicer

additional pedal: Metal End Biyang.

As you've found, simply buying random gear doesn't guarantee the tone.
If you have noise constraints, I'd toss the Blackstar and pick up a reasonable modeler and a pair of headphones and crank that puppy until you develop tinnitus!