Page 1 of 2
I know this seems like a vague question.
But what are your favourite BPM's?

Like in a sense to dance to, I'm sure you guys have some BPM's your songs gravitate to.

For me: 86, 96, 106, 113, 117, 123, 127, 131 and ofcourse 666
Quote by one vision

You wouldn't dance to a metronome.

On meth you would.
I don't know what BPM the songs I listen to are (I really don't care), but the BPMs that I use most often in my own songs (most of the time rock songs) are something like 96, 108, 112, 120, 128 - those are BPMs that just tend to work for basic rock songs. If it's a slow song in 6/8, it's usually something like 55.

I of course don't start with the BPM. But when I come up with a groove, it just usually fits one of the BPMs I mentioned.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Anything above 300 and ideally above 350.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Each tune seems to have its own natural tempo. I sense that it needs tweaking up or down. I don't know how it works, only that it does. I might do some checking back to see if there's a particular bpm that I use a lot.
All of them.

This actually may top the quirk of the endless "what's the best chord?" threads.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
^Agreed.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
40bpm

but that might not be the actual rhythmic value

what i do is i get two full stacks, right? and i stand them right in front of each other, and one's hooked up to my guitar and another's hooked up to a microphone, and i turn gain and volume on everything to 10 and put a delay, reverb, overdrive, distortion, chorus, another delay, another delay, another reverb and another distortion and 2 10 band eqs: one in a \/ formation and the other in a /\ formation. and i just play chords REALLY REALLY hard and yell
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
127.099. it's a subtle difference from 127 but it's a marked improvement. frankly if you're so closed minded not to use decimals and only restrict yourself to integers you're only choosing from a couple hundred possibilities out of a theoretically infinite amount. amateur mistake.

wait what are we actually serious about this
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
For F#¤k sakes. I just asked what you consider to be your favourite bpm's.

I DIDN'T SAY I ONLY USE THESE BPM'S NO OTHER BPM'S. TELL ME WHAT BPM'S YOU ONLY USE.
Quote by one vision

You wouldn't dance to a metronome.

On meth you would.
Last edited by Rensa at Oct 14, 2015,
Quote by Rensa

I DIDN'T SAY I ONLY USE THESE BPM'S NO OTHER BPM'S. TELL ME WHAT BPM'S YOU ONLY USE.

Holy F$"king shit.....

I don't think that anyone thinks that you only use those BPMs. It's just that most people probably don't think of BPMs that seriously. I personally just start playing, tap the rhythm into the metronome, and don't pay any attention to the actual number.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
100, 120, 220, 240. 220s pretty much perfect for death metal, I find. 8th note grooves seem to be at the perfect pace to bob your head at.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
People still compose in time?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Rensa

Holy F$"king shit.....

calm the fuck down
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Kevätuhri
I don't think that anyone thinks that you only use those BPMs. It's just that most people probably don't think of BPMs that seriously. I personally just start playing, tap the rhythm into the metronome, and don't pay any attention to the actual number.

this is why you're getting the reaction you're getting. those sorts of negligible differences in BPM are not really important. 127 is among your favorite BPMs? why not 126? are you really capable of calculating the tempo down to the BPM of a song that you can tell the difference between 126 and 127 using only your ear?

musicians tend to think of tempo (what you call BPM) as open to interpretation, too. allegro doesn't mean 120 BPM. it could mean 115 or 127, 113 or 134. it's variable. it's something that should be considered but if you're going to say you like 5 or 6 numbers and not the rest when, to be perfectly frank, you're not going to be able to isolate and internalize the difference between 126 and 127 unless they're up side-by-side...that's a pretty pointless discussion, honestly. how a piece changes when it's shifted from 90 to 120 is totally different, and there's a lot to be said for that.

if you take issue with what i'm saying, that's fine, but then: you say you like 127 and 131 bpm. surely, then, you must have a valid reason for not liking 126, 128, 129, 130, or 132, and all of the decimal values between them.
We tend to gravitate to writing songs that end up with a bpm somewhere between 90 and 120. We don't start with a certain bpm in mind and then write then song. We just write the song and that's how they turn out.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
This might actually be the most pointless thread I've come across in MT, this makes those "what's your favourite key?" threads look smart in comparison.
Quote by Jimjambanx
This might actually be the most pointless thread I've come across in MT, this makes those "what's your favourite key?" threads look smart in comparison.

I think they're both equally pointless.
Quote by Jimjambanx

I don't know... I think BPM makes more difference than what key you are playing in. You can actually hear a (very clear) difference between the same song played in 70 BPM and 120 BPM. So it kind of makes more sense than "what's your favorite key" threads.

But yeah, the answer is still the same - what works for the song. I don't know what the goal of this thread is.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I don't know... I think BPM makes more difference than what key you are playing in. You can actually hear a (very clear) difference between the same song played in 70 BPM and 120 BPM. So it kind of makes more sense than "what's your favorite key" threads.

But yeah, the answer is still the same - what works for the song. I don't know what the goal of this thread is.

you can easily hear a very clear difference between the same song played in Eb major and E major. i don't think anybody is arguing that there's no difference between such a huge shift in tempo. if your favorite BPMs include but are not limited to 143, 157, 128 (but not 129), and 86, that's ultimately a pointless distinction to make. that's not much different from saying your favorite key is F# major but only at 436 hz tuning.

i'm not ripping on anybody, i just think people that are so wrapped up about this sort of thing would benefit more as developing (and professional!) musicians if they refocused their priorities.
Quote by AeolianWolf
you can easily hear a very clear difference between the same song played in Eb major and E major. i don't think anybody is arguing that there's no difference between such a huge shift in tempo. if your favorite BPMs include but are not limited to 143, 157, 128 (but not 129), and 86, that's ultimately a pointless distinction to make. that's not much different from saying your favorite key is F# major but only at 436 hz tuning.

ya but 129 is too fast
Quote by AeolianWolf
you can easily hear a very clear difference between the same song played in Eb major and E major.

Well, depends on your ear, I guess.

I don't usually notice if a song is played in a different key than it was originally played. Though sometimes I do. It depends.

I mean, if I just start humming a melody, I can't tell if it's in the original key or not.

But whatever. Doesn't really make this thread any less pointless.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Oct 15, 2015,
Quote by AeolianWolf
you can easily hear a very clear difference between the same song played in Eb major and E major.

think the point is that playing the same thing in E or Eb isn't a functional change whereas playing the same thing at 95 and 115bpm is much more substantial.

also I have huge preferences between small changes in tempo lol. 124 is way better than 128 for example. 135 is terrible but 132 is good. 143 is bad. 120 is god awful. 100 is useless.
Quote by tateandlyle
also I have huge preferences between small changes in tempo lol. 124 is way better than 128 for example. 135 is terrible but 132 is good. 143 is bad. 120 is god awful. 100 is useless.

I don't think that's normal. Difference between 120 and 140 is apparent. Difference between 132 and 135 is nonexistent. It might be something like perfect pitch hearing though, maybe you're hypersensitive to rhythm. Or then you're just imagining things.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by tateandlyle
think the point is that playing the same thing in E or Eb isn't a functional change whereas playing the same thing at 95 and 115bpm is much more substantial.

hahahahahahaha cheers m8
Quote by Kevätuhri
I don't think that's normal. Difference between 120 and 140 is apparent. Difference between 132 and 135 is nonexistent. It might be something like perfect pitch hearing though, maybe you're hypersensitive to rhythm. Or then you're just imagining things.

Well, at least when we write and record with my friend, finding the right tempo is pretty precise. Sometimes 100 bpm feels like it's dragging a bit, but 104 feels just right. Or 108 bpm feels too fast. Of course this only applies when we are talking about "studio" recordings. When I play with a band, the songs always get sped up, and a 100 bpm song may be something like 110 (maybe more) when played live. And you don't even notice it. It just feels more natural to play it a bit faster than on the record.

I don't think one bpm matters, but 5 bpm is pretty easy to notice (well, of course if we are talking about slower tempos, 5 bpm makes a lot more difference than when talking about fast tempos).

But what tateandlyle is talking about sounds pretty strange to me. I wouldn't say 100 bpm is useless. It is useful if you write a song that fits it. Some songs don't work in it, others do.

It's like saying Eb minor is useless but E minor is freaking awesome (especially in A=439 Hz tuning - 440 Hz is just meh). But F minor is absolutely horrible. (Of course a bit exaggerated.)
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Sure, I'm not arguing with it being important in the studio. I'd just be surprised if tateandlyle could actually play his songs at exactly 132 bpm and consciously make the choice of not playing in 135 (playing without a metronome of course).

And the phrasing got me as well. "Terrible" and "useless" are not words I'd associate with any bpm inherently. But well, tempo is something I don't really think about that much, as I said I don't care about the number.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
I don't think it's unusual to be able to hear minute differences in tempo or notice a half-step transposition (especially if it changes what register you play in), but using the word "favorite" is a bit misleading. It's not a matter of absolute preference so much as usefulness, which is revealing as to what a person's preferred styles are, or how they approach music.

I chose my tempo range above because it's extremely useful and common in the styles I like to write. Were I writing straight ahead rock, 120-160 would probably be my range, but I don't write much rock music. I like to write jazzier stuff where the pulse is on the half note, so the actual tempo is pretty slow.

It's not like a song comes on at 84bpm and I think "Hell yeah, my favorite tempo!". It's more about feel, pacing, tone, phrasing... and tempo choice really does set boundaries in those terms. There's very little room for rubato phrasing at 180bpm, but at 66, you've got a lot more space to work with.
Last edited by cdgraves at Oct 16, 2015,
Quote by Elintasokas
I think they're both equally pointless.

If there's anything more pointless than threads like this, it's posts which point out how pointless they are.

Whoops.....
Quote by Kevätuhri
Sure, I'm not arguing with it being important in the studio. I'd just be surprised if tateandlyle could actually play his songs at exactly 132 bpm and consciously make the choice of not playing in 135 (playing without a metronome of course).

And the phrasing got me as well. "Terrible" and "useless" are not words I'd associate with any bpm inherently. But well, tempo is something I don't really think about that much, as I said I don't care about the number.

oh lol you think i play instruments
Quote by tateandlyle
oh lol you think i play instruments

It's kind of sad if you don't. Instruments are great. I like my instruments. They're not as good as other instruments, but they're still fine instruments. I'd also love to play more instruments.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
instruments are for old people

mlg420noscope bass drop
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
instruments are for old people

mlg420noscope bass drop

You forgot the "oh lol".
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Page 1 of 2