Title says it: Do you guys know of a pedal that just brings the VOLUME up without overdriving the sound and therefore coloring it? The way I would use it is stick it in front of my distortion pedal, to add gain. The reason why I want to try this is because the way I play, I always have the distortion pedal on, but when I need cleans, I turn down the volume knob on my guitar to clear it up. Unfortunately, this way, since I have the distortion cranked up pretty high, I have to worry a lot about picking strength, I have to be very delicate to get the sound that I need, which in turn leads to less precise playing in my case.

So what I am hoping to accomplish is to have some sort of pedal that would just boost my signal when I need a distorted sound, so I don't have to push my distortion pedal as far as I usually need, but then when I need cleans, I can turn it off and also turn down the volume knob on my guitar so I get a clean sound, with the dist pedal staying turned on. The difference would be that, since the drive on the distortion pedal is not cranked as high as it is now, it would give me the ability to pick a bit harder and worry a bit less about picking dynamics in general, since there's a bit less gain going on. It might sound weird, but this really works for me and gives me loads of dynamics in my sound while always being heard and having a full tone.
Last edited by Dzamija at Oct 13, 2015,
Tc spark booster is what I like. I have the mini.

But what you're wanting in the second paragraph, to me, doesn't sound like you want a clean boost as it is a clean boost=no gain. So it won't add extra distortion like you want. It will only be the same distortion just louder.
If you're looking for a pure volume boost esky is right- TC Spark Mini is by far the most transparent boost I've ever heard. Stick it in your FX loop to provide a simple line boost.

It will do a decent job of driving your distortion pedal when placed directly before it, but I'd suggest that you try stacking a tube screamer before it- this is exactly the kinda thing they were designed for, or do what I do, and use a Zvex Super Hard On; it's a glorious pedal that makes distortion units (pedals or amps) saturate in a way that a more tansparent boost just can't (it still does retain the sound of your initial unit).
Last edited by rustycooksie at Oct 13, 2015,
TC Electronic Spark Booster gets my vote as well.. I have the 4 knob original size.. The mini has a feature which mine doesn't have.. I'm sure Spark Booster mini owners will chime in what ever it is.
Your second paragraph isn't matching what you describe wanting with your first sentence, clear up you mind, fellow

Other than that, yes, TC Spark Mini is great. Also, EP Booster from Xotic Effects is great.
However, if you do want to color a bit, the TC Spark is a great pedal (full-sized). Has some EQ parameters so that you can tweak your solo sound (I like adding mids a bit to my solos).
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Alright, thanks for the recommendations, I'll check some demos out definitely, if everyone is recommending it But I'm also confused now. Isn't it true that when I put anything that boosts my signal before a distortion pedal, that it will result not only in a volume boost, but also in a gain boost? Putting it AFTER the distortion pedal would just make it louder, but wouldn't putting it BEFORE the pedal also increase the drive, since the amount of drive is proportional to the strength of the input signal? And if it wasn't so, wouldn't pickup output be pretty insignificant, since you could just boost the volume on your amp?

I know that when I work in my DAW and use an amp sim and put just about any plugin that boosts the volume of my track BEFORE the amp sim in the chain (say, a flat EQ plugin with just the make-up gain boosted), it gives it more gain, not just more volume. I figure that it doesn't work the same way with "real" pedals, but...shouldn't it? o.O

It will do a decent job of driving your distortion pedal when placed directly before it, but I'd suggest that you try stacking a tube screamer before it- this is exactly the kinda thing they were designed for

I do have a tube screamer pedal, specifically the Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive, I tried using it but it just colors the sound in a way that's not really to my liking. It gives it a harsh overly distorted, kinda thin tone (for my tastes anyway), no matter how much I tweak the EQ. Still, maybe it's just a crappy pedal
Last edited by Dzamija at Oct 13, 2015,
Quote by Dzamija
Title says it: Do you guys know of a pedal that just brings the VOLUME up without overdriving the sound and therefore coloring it? The way I would use it is stick it in front of my distortion pedal, to add gain. The reason why I want to try this is because the way I play, I always have the distortion pedal on, but when I need cleans, I turn down the volume knob on my guitar to clear it up. Unfortunately, this way, since I have the distortion cranked up pretty high, I have to worry a lot about picking strength, I have to be very delicate to get the sound that I need, which in turn leads to less precise playing in my case.

So what I am hoping to accomplish is to have some sort of pedal that would just boost my signal when I need a distorted sound, so I don't have to push my distortion pedal as far as I usually need, but then when I need cleans, I can turn it off and also turn down the volume knob on my guitar so I get a clean sound, with the dist pedal staying turned on. The difference would be that, since the drive on the distortion pedal is not cranked as high as it is now, it would give me the ability to pick a bit harder and worry a bit less about picking dynamics in general, since there's a bit less gain going on. It might sound weird, but this really works for me and gives me loads of dynamics in my sound while always being heard and having a full tone.

i've probably misunderstood what you meant but, er, why? instead of having to kick off the distortion pedal you're going to have to kick off the boost pedal, surely?

unless you just like the sound of cleans through your distortion pedal but with your guitar turned down. in that case that should work, yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

And if you want nothing but a volume boost, simply stick it in the amp's FX loop. A nice EQ (say an MXR 10 band) will do a great job as well.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
since no one else asked i will. dude if you want a clean sound why not turn off the distortion pedal? if you have the pedal set at unity (same volume as amp on or off) then you'd have a clean sound with no issues.
I like the Seymour Ducan Pickup Booster. It adds 25dB of absolutely clean gain with an added switch that can lower the resonant peak of your pickups. It is great for boosting the volume of things without any tonal change at all.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
TC Helicon Spark. I've had many and they've all added colour/gain and cost approx £170 each. The TC just did the boost and that's what I wanted, cost less too! I needed it because of longer cabling losing signal etc...it was not purchased as an effect pedal.
Fender Deluxe Ash Strat
Epiphone LP Custom Pro
Gretsch G5420T
Tokai Goldstar 1998
Fender GB Hot Rod Deluxe George Benson
Wampler, Red Witch, Mad Professor, TC Electronic