I recently bought an Epiphone Les Paul Standard from a friend, and I am having trouble determining what the exact model is. From what I can tell, there are 2 different models:

My guitar looks exactly like this, but it says "Les Paul Standard" at the top, and not Pro or anything, so I'm just confused.

Any idea how to identify which model my guitar is?
The only difference between a plustop and a plaintop is obvious in the specs.

The plustops have a flamed maple veneer, while the plaintop has a maple veneer that isn't figured. Hence the name 'plaintop'
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 13, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The only difference between a plustop and a plaintop is obvious in the specs.

The plustops have a flamed maple veneer, while the plaintop has a maple veneer that isn't figured. Hence the name 'plaintop'

So that is something that I should be able to identify by looking at it? Or is it something I will need to take into Guitar Center for help? I have no idea what the specs are on this guitar.
Quote by jererermy at #33635109
So that is something that I should be able to identify by looking at it?

The whole point of a figured top is the cosmetic effect, so yes!

Plaintop

Plustop
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I think it's more likely that it's just an older model. The "Plus Top Pro" model has only been around for a few years. Previously, there was a Plus Top Standard, which had the same truss rod cover as the Standard. I bet that's what you have.

Or it might be just a Standard with a nice top. The Plain/Plus top distinction wasn't always as clear as the current models make it out to be. The Plus top has been around for a while, but only recently did they specifically start labeling the Standard specifically as a plain top. A few years ago you could find Epi Standards with a flame top, it just depended on what they had at the factory that day. Now it seems that they're doing away with that, and specifically sorting the plain tops for Standards and the figured tops for the Pro models.
Here is an exact picture of my guitar. T00DEEPBLUE, if I had to guess, I would say it is a PlusTop? The only difference I can see is the wood grain direction, but I am no expert (obviously).

Roc8995 & T00DEEPBLUE, what do you think?
My Guitar
Quote by jererermy at #33635214
Here is an exact picture of my guitar. T00DEEPBLUE, if I had to guess, I would say it is a PlusTop? The only difference I can see is the wood grain direction, but I am no expert (obviously).

Roc8995 & T00DEEPBLUE, what do you think?
My Guitar

Roc is right in mentioning that the guitar was quite likely built before the plustop and plaintop distinction was made. The top on your guitar is obviously flamed.

The grain always travels down the length of the guitar, not across it. What you're seeing is the wood's figure. On a flamed piece of wood, the figuring is perpendicular to the grain direction. The way the figuring looks on two different guitars may vary from one to another as is the inconsistent nature of figuring.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R