hi people,
im looking for a amp head (valve)
i'd use the head for band practise aswell as some gigs (amps would be miced tho)so it should be loud enough to get over a heavy hitting drummer.
i would also pair it with the harley benton G212 cab.
I want the cab to be able to play clean tones aswell as dirty ones id be playing rock.
my budget is around 550€
Quote by TIP_Matthew
hi people,
im looking for a amp head (valve)
i'd use the head for band practise aswell as some gigs (amps would be miced tho)so it should be loud enough to get over a heavy hitting drummer.
i would also pair it with the harley benton G212 cab.
I want the cab to be able to play clean tones aswell as dirty ones id be playing rock.
my budget is around 550€

Peavey 6505, Jet city jca22h or jca50h, orange dark terror, orange or15, any of the evh 5150III's, maybe a used mesa boogie. Im probably missing some but that sall I could come up with.
Quote by PancakesGO!!!!
Peavey 6505, Jet city jca22h or jca50h, orange dark terror, orange or15, any of the evh 5150III's, maybe a used mesa boogie. Im probably missing some but that sall I could come up with.

i did a quick google search if the 15w heads are loud enough to go over a drummer some say yes some say not but most of the awnsers were yes but most of them saying that driving the amp head to 9-10 isnt a good idea
thoughts?
Quote by TIP_Matthew
i did a quick google search if the 15w heads are loud enough to go over a drummer some say yes some say not but most of the awnsers were yes but most of them saying that driving the amp head to 9-10 isnt a good idea
thoughts?

Its loud enough, Ive used 15 watt heads live before and volume wasnt an issue. Your sound guy will thank you too.
Quote by PancakesGO!!!!
Its loud enough, Ive used 15 watt heads live before and volume wasnt an issue. Your sound guy will thank you too.

how would haydens mini mofo do then? i've heard its a great head
Quote by TIP_Matthew
thoughts?

Depends on the drummer. It may be enough, but I'd not count on it.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Depends on the drummer. It may be enough, but I'd not count on it.

as i said most people have different opinions on the 15watt heads thats why i ask :P
in my opinion id find a solid 50w or a 100w head (even if id like a 15w more)
Quote by TIP_Matthew
as i said most people have different opinions on the 15watt heads thats why i ask :P
in my opinion id find a solid 50w or a 100w head (even if id like a 15w more)

If you're unsure than dont get a 15w head, better safe than sorry.
Randall RD45H or even the 100 if you find it.
Better cleans than a 6505 and IMO a better gain channel.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
JCA50 gets my vote.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Peavey Valveking, clean and overdrive channel, not my cup of tea for metal territory but rock is definitely right up its alley. Also can be found used relatively cheap and are built pretty solid - i.e. should stand up to gigging and if something did happen you won't be out a ton of money.
I use either 15w, 30w, or 45w tube amps for gigs. My drummer is pretty heavy with a large DW kit and the 15w is enough for everything except outdoor-unmic'd gigs. Just make sure it is pointed at your head, not your knees. Speaker choice matters so if you run a high spl like a V30 or Emi Legend you will be fine.

FYI we gigged Sat at a local watering hole and the place is pretty live with a good crowd. I was running my Mesa 30w at about 2/3 volume and they asked us to turn it down twice. "3rd time and it's party over". Message received. I've been kicked out of clubs for being too damn loud before. Not being kicked out is better.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY