So I am looking for a Jazzmaster and I am torn between the classic player and the J mascis Squier. Apparently both are really good. Budget isn't really a problem as I do have enough for the classic player and I don't want it to affect my judgement (at the end of the day I want a guitar that will be used for recording and live playing so I want it to be as good as I can afford).

When it comes to style they are both what I need...the main problem is that they don't seem to be that different. I can't try either of them out though I have tried some of other Jazzmasters and have liked every Fender I have tried. So I am hoping for anyone who has tried both to give in their input.

Thank you
The classic player will be a better built instrument. While the Mascis Squier is a nicer quality Squier, it will still lack the refinement of the classic player series. The classic player offers some color selection and is also alder while he Squier is basswood. If that means anything - some people are picky about wood.

If I had the cash and had to choose, the classic player would be a no-brainer. I wouldn't even think about the Squier.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Given the choice between having Fender or Squier on the headstock. Fender all the way.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

And that's pretty much what it boils down to. The headstock decal.
How much do you figure it's worth?

I'm often unable to detect differences in "refinement" that don't impact sound or playability.
That, and any guitar in my hands is going to suffer a rapid deflowering of "refinement."
It's more than a headstock decal difference. CP has a trem lock - Squier doesn't. Pups are better quality in the CP than the Mascis, different fret size CP medium jumbo - Squier Jumbo. I'm sure there are other matters to consider as well. Neck finish. Wiring quality. Re-sale value. Finish options. Wood selection. It's too simple to say - oh, you're just paying for the name on the headstock. They share the same body style, but the differences stack up from there.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by dspellman
And that's pretty much what it boils down to. The headstock decal.
How much do you figure it's worth?

I'm often unable to detect differences in "refinement" that don't impact sound or playability.
That, and any guitar in my hands is going to suffer a rapid deflowering of "refinement."

I live in Madison, WI and work as a guitar tech. You can imagine how many Jazzmasters I come across on the weekly (hint: a bunch).

The differences in the Squier JM's and Fender CP JM's are pretty large. It's definitely bigger than that headstock decal. The necks on those Squier ones are super dodgy, I've fret leveled a whole bunch of them, only saw little issues with frets on the CP. Also, the pickups in the Squier are super weak and quacky.

If you've got the comfortable cash for the Fender, get the Fender.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I went for the classic player, thought I'd might as well spend some more and get something that I won't want to replace in a year or so. I have other fenders so I also don't want a guitar that is lower quality than they are.

thanks guys
Congrats! Get us a picture, we love sharing in the glory.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
+1 HNGD and let's see it!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i