Page 1 of 2
I had my 2015 gibson studio and marshall dsl40c stolen. Insurance paid for it, so we are all good. Thinking about trying my hand with a fender special strat hss with another marshall DSL. I like all kinds of music but still am new at playing. My favorite music though is GnR, Motley Crue and rock of that nature. Will I accomplish this with the strat? Problem is that the new gibsons are out and I don't know which ones are any good.
I love Fenders, but imo the Strat is not the guitar for that kind of music; I think you'll be wanting a guitar with two humbuckers.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
So, what would you recommend? I don't want to put more than 1500 really like to stay around 1200. I do like all kinds of other music, so I want versatility.
I'll kindly disagree and say that a Strat is more than capable of rocking out, especially with the right humbucker in it. The stock fender humbuckers, well, some people like them others hate them. There are plenty of good options out there though, so that can help you get closer to where you want to be sound wise.

I will say though - you're looking at different scale length and all around layout/set-up between a Gibson and a Fender. They feel totally different in the hand, on the knee, and hanging from the shoulder. If you're primarily a Gibson player and this is going to be your primary instrument, you may want to lean towards finding another 2015 Les Paul hanging on the wall somewhere. I'm sure there are a few at your nearest guitar shop to consider. Only thing I've heard regarding the 2016 models is the celebration about them going back to their pre-2015 specs. Apparently the 2015 models didn't sit too well with Gibson enthusiasts.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Other than going with another Gibson, you mean? Lots of stuff out there.

If you're in the USA, Carvin is definitely an option. Also look at G&L, Reverend, Fernandes, Godin.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
That depends on a lot of things. Do you want binding on the neck? Heavy gloss finish or do you like the satin finishes? Do you have a neck preference - 50's or 60's profile? Is there a certain finish color that you are drawn to?

If I was thinking of buying a Les Paul, I'd be looking at the 2016 Les Paul 50's tribute. I like the satin finishes though, and I don't like a lot of bells and whistles on my guitars. But you may be totally different in that department.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
I'll kindly disagree and say that a Strat is more than capable of rocking out, especially with the right humbucker in it. The stock fender humbuckers, well, some people like them others hate them. There are plenty of good options out there though, so that can help you get closer to where you want to be sound wise.

I think the Strat'd be capable, however I think Gibson models would be better suited to it. Slash's trademark is pretty much neck humbucker soloing, for example, which is difficult to match either with a bridge humbucker or a neck singlecoil. Gibsons and their derivatives are simply the more obvious choice for GNR or Motley.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Apparently the 2015 models didn't sit too well with Gibson enthusiasts.

Nor 2014. Min-E-Tune was apparently quite poorly implemented and not very functional in practice, headstock "Les Paul" logos were ugly for whatever that's worth and QC was apparently out of whack (we'll see how that goes).

I believe we had a thread in the Electric Guitar section recently from someone who just got a 2016 Les Paul, perhaps they'd have some useful experience for OP?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by ThunderPunk

I will say though - you're looking at different scale length and all around layout/set-up between a Gibson and a Fender. They feel totally different in the hand, on the knee, and hanging from the shoulder. If you're primarily a Gibson player and this is going to be your primary instrument, you may want to lean towards finding another 2015 Les Paul hanging on the wall somewhere. I'm sure there are a few at your nearest guitar shop to consider. Only thing I've heard regarding the 2016 models is the celebration about them going back to their pre-2015 specs. Apparently the 2015 models didn't sit too well with Gibson enthusiasts.

Iron Maiden does pretty good with Strats.
And Mick Mars uses a Strat now and then.
Isn't there a start with two humbuckers?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Several in fact.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What do I do? Would you get a fender american special with the Dsl40c or a Epiphone les paul tribute that has 57 picks with the DSL5C?
Neither. I'd find a nice old Yamaha SG500/1000/2000 and a JCM2000 DSL401.
And btw, the Tokais crap all over the Epi's.
Expand your thinking.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Shut up I want all the Japanese.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 13, 2015,
While the strat can play those styles, I think a les paul woulddoa much better job of getting you closer to the tone you are looking for. Ultimately, it's your opinion. Try the strat, and if you like it better than your les paul, get it. Also consider something with a tremelo system, since you like motley crue.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Ohhh I like that first white one.
The Reverend Kingbolt RA might be a good option.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAuFP3FJOR4&sns=em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNyiI8xhwTA&sns=em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZnA76U1qz4&sns=em

Caveat: they've changed the pickups on that one recently, from a RailHammer Anvil (their hottest HB) in the bridge and their HyperVintage (PAF-voiced HB) in the neck to a pair of HyperVintages. Still quite capable of rocking out like G'nR, but less suited from the highest gain style-stuff.

Quote by CodeMonk
Ohhh I like that first white one.

Yeah, pretty and classy.

IMO a used MIM Fender Blacktop Strat. It comes with HH stock so no changing needed (I prefer these to Gibsons because Gibson are liars and thiefs imo)

For an amp either a Mark III or something by Marshall.
Izzy used the mark, whilst Slash I think a JCM800. I guess a DSL401 would do the job.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
My piece of advice has been, still is and will always be "go try the living shit out of various guitars until you find what feels right." Sometimes the biggest surprises are in the most unexpected areas.
If the $1200 - $1500 is just for the guitar check out the ESP E-II Eclipse.

So far you have mentioned several different scales, neck profiles, and fret sizes.

You need to get the neck feel and balance you want and the rest is mainly pickups which can b changed.

If you want a strat shape but more shredder - Jackson, Charvel, and Ibanez.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
could you list a few more bands you like? gnr isn't really superstrat (though it'd work) but motley crue is superstrat all over the place i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
could you list a few more bands you like? gnr isn't really superstrat (though it'd work) but motley crue is superstrat all over the place i think.

Mick Mars currently is using an HSS strat and certainly can be played on any superstrat. GnR is mostly gibsons although slash has used other guitars here and there (many guitar players will use a variety of guitars in the studio to get specific sounds)

to the OPs original ? a strat ins't the best choice. seems to me that when most people ask about strats they are refering to SSS models as that is what is most associated with strats. strats can certainly rock and with the right combo of amps and fx you can get some decent heavy tones. it is far easier to get those types of tones with humbuckers and you really can't duplicate a LP sound with a strat even with a humbucker. will a super strat get you a reasonable tone for GnR sure but not the first choice and certainly won't nail it. Mick Mars used LPs on many of the early Crue songs so again for stuff from at least the 1st 2 albums would be a better choice. later albums used more super strat type guitars.
Quote by OriginOfFeces
My piece of advice has been, still is and will always be "go try the living shit out of various guitars until you find what feels right." Sometimes the biggest surprises are in the most unexpected areas.

+1, definitely agreed with this. If you're looking at a Strat I guess you're not obsessed with the singlecut shape, so you can take a good look around. Your budget is really nice and can get you plenty of really great guitars.

Also, I'm surprised PRS hasn't been mentioned yet, they're beautiful, versatile, and have a reputation for quality. You can get a new SE Custom 24 and still have plenty of money left, or if you find a good deal you can probably get one of the S2 or some of the older made in US models. In either case, the author of this post would be jealous.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
I have seen death metal on a fat strat, and jazz on a superstrat. It really is preference of feel, and scale length of course.
I can only add that the Epiphone Les Paul Tribute with the Gibson 57 Classic pups is currently my favorite guitar to play classic rock gigs with. Great fat sound and nice feel and also has split coil switches on the tone pots for a somewhat single coil sound.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by monwobobbo
Mick Mars currently is using an HSS strat and certainly can be played on any superstrat. GnR is mostly gibsons although slash has used other guitars here and there (many guitar players will use a variety of guitars in the studio to get specific sounds)

to the OPs original ? a strat ins't the best choice. seems to me that when most people ask about strats they are refering to SSS models as that is what is most associated with strats. strats can certainly rock and with the right combo of amps and fx you can get some decent heavy tones. it is far easier to get those types of tones with humbuckers and you really can't duplicate a LP sound with a strat even with a humbucker. will a super strat get you a reasonable tone for GnR sure but not the first choice and certainly won't nail it. Mick Mars used LPs on many of the early Crue songs so again for stuff from at least the 1st 2 albums would be a better choice. later albums used more super strat type guitars.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul EX is something I would look at with EMG active pups and an extra fret added...looks great too! Or the Custom Prophecy which has classic Gibson pups. BTW, Strats can do anything but you'll need to upgrade/make changes but they don't look hard rock and image is important.
Fender Deluxe Ash Strat
Epiphone LP Custom Pro
Gretsch G5420T
Tokai Goldstar 1998
Fender GB Hot Rod Deluxe George Benson
Wampler, Red Witch, Mad Professor, TC Electronic
A strat doesn't look hard rock? Maybe you should tell Ritchie Blackmore and all the other hard rockers over the years that have used one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
A strat doesn't look hard rock? Maybe you should tell Ritchie Blackmore and all the other hard rockers over the years that have used one.

Speaking of Ritchie Blackmore, he's scheduling a limited tour of Europe in 2016. A rock band, not with his Blackmore's Night crew.

The new vocalist sounds Dio-esque.

Quote by Giants72
I had my 2015 gibson studio and marshall dsl40c stolen. Insurance paid for it, so we are all good. Thinking about trying my hand with a fender special strat hss with another marshall DSL. I like all kinds of music but still am new at playing. My favorite music though is GnR, Motley Crue and rock of that nature. Will I accomplish this with the strat? Problem is that the new gibsons are out and I don't know which ones are any good.

Crue- superstrat
Deep Purple- Strat
Gary Hoey- Superstrat
EVH- Frankenstrat
Malmsteen- Strat
Jimi- Strat
Yep they can rock it just fine.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 10, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Speaking of Ritchie Blackmore, he's scheduling a limited tour of Europe in 2016. A rock band, not with his Blackmore's Night crew.

The new vocalist sounds Dio-esque.

yeah looks like it's going to be good. guessing he'll use a strat to of course he won't come anywhere near here even if he does hit the states
One of my buddies already has tickets to 3 shows...and he lives in a smallish coastal town in Texas.

As in, he's leaving the country to see his idol back in action.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
One of my buddies already has tickets to 3 shows...and he lives in a smallish coastal town in Texas.

As in, he's leaving the country to see his idol back in action.

i can't afford to leave the county let alone the country these days . that's cool good for him now there is a dedicated fan.
Quote by monwobobbo
yeah looks like it's going to be good. guessing he'll use a strat to of course he won't come anywhere near here even if he does hit the states

Nah he'll fuck everyone up and use a PRS or EBMM
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Page 1 of 2