Page 1 of 2
It's very simple. If it's not entertaining in the first 10 minutes forget it.

This is the idea behind movies to be entertaining. It can be entertaining in lots of ways beautiful cinematography, intense intelligent dialogue and character development, and of course action but I have had my fill of machine guns and fiery explosions.

I feel insulted by highbrow movies. If I want to solve a puzzle I'll go to the crossword section of the newspaper. The story should be concise and easy to understand. Just because it's hard to figure out doesn't give it deep meaning. I see so many movies like this. They are just pure trash and somehow they think it gives them greatness because they leave holes in the story that you have to figure out what happened. Put the end at the beginning that drives me nuts.

There are exceptions, pulp fiction was wonderful. It was entertaining from the first scene the last scene.
If the movie is boring in the first 10 minutes you can be sure that the producer didn't have you in mind when he made it.

I also do not care for movies were a bunch of kids were given a camera and told to make a movie.
The worst is when people pretend a movie is great just because it's about some sort of social justice.
Like a movie about a gay person or racism or something.
Some are indeed great and some are shit, but we have to pretend that ALL of them are filmmaking perfection.
Not all films are made with entertainment being their number 1 priority

EDIT:
Also, not all films are made with your entertainment being their number 1 priority
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Last edited by Gatecrasher53 at Oct 14, 2015,
How dare film makers forget to consult you about your ideal movie preferences........
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by yope at #33636050

If the movie is boring in the first 10 minutes you can be sure that the producer didn't have you in mind when he made it.

You must have a short attention span, then. Or do you seriously expect films to jump straight in to the juicy bits?
I have nothing important to say
You should watch a movie called "Backdoor Sluts 9" Yope. It's got all those elements that you say you like in movies and it's also really easy to understand too so you won't have to worry about trying to figure out any twist or ambiguous endings. I mean there are a few holes in it at first but they soon get filled as it goes along.
A film can be 2edgy with the complexity of its storyline, but it needs to convey those themes in a way that people can relate to. A film mustn't lay all its cards down on the table in the first 10 minutes. The only film that does that well is Up.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 14, 2015,
Hey you should probably go outside and get some fresh air too.
I told that to that other guy DG banned.
I hope he complied.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
i like when people insult 'pretentious' or 'high-brow' art, by being pretentious themselves. "it's not entertainment" = "art is entertainment" which is the same as "it doesn't have a meaning" = "art has to have social commentary". both ideas suck cause they exclude the other

why can't we just respect people's right to not like certain films?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by yope

I feel insulted by highbrow movies.

I doubt anyone is surprised by this...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Baby Joel
i like when people insult 'pretentious' or 'high-brow' art, by being pretentious themselves. "it's not entertainment" = "art is entertainment" which is the same as "it doesn't have a meaning" = "art has to have social commentary". both ideas suck cause they exclude the other

why can't we just respect people's right to not like certain films?

Because then the film thread would never have got past page 1.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I like movies
How do you make a signature? Is this a signature? Sig?.... Nature?..... Sigmund Freud?...... Nature Valley?.... Sigmund Fraud?..... Frankie Valli?.... ah, $!*@ it...
Quote by yope

2001: A Space Odyssey?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster

first ten minutes are great. apes beating each other up
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I got bored watching the first 20 minutes of the new Mad Max but I'm not going to write it off just yet.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Quote by Baby Joel
first ten minutes are great. apes beating each other up

That's like 20 minutes in, after all the nature scenery.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I stopped watching The Tree of Life after that one scene. A bit too artsy for my taste.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by Cardbored
I got bored watching the first 20 minutes of the new Mad Max but I'm not going to write it off just yet.

How dare you
Quote by JustRooster

that movie was inspired I loved it. Personal favorite along with Red Dawn. I'm not kidding.
Quote by yope
that movie was inspired I loved it. Personal favorite along with Red Dawn. I'm not kidding.

This is the most mind-blowing UG post ever
Quote by yope

Which "Red Dawn"? The original or the remake?
If the screenplay was written by a neanderthal, it usually becomes evident within a few minutes of dialogue. I agree with what the OP said about cinematography. It's torture for me to watch something that looks like a TV movie. Before anyone says anything about budget, Elephant cost next-to-nothing to make and the cinematography is exquisite.
Quote by yope

I literally can't understand this post.
Quote by jugglingfreak
Which "Red Dawn"? The original or the remake?

I've not seen the remake, is it worth a look?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911 at #33636616

It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. If you like the original I would not recommend it at all.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Arby911

I didnt like either but I thought the remake was awful especially
Quote by EyeNon15
The worst is when people pretend a movie is great just because it's about some sort of social justice.
Like a movie about a gay person or racism or something.
Some are indeed great and some are shit, but we have to pretend that ALL of them are filmmaking perfection.

one of my favorite kinds of movies is the race kind. When you read the reviews on the movies about racism, critics are too kind a lot of times about these kind of movies just because of the subject matter. Anything that has social comment.

That Dennis Hopper movie set in the South in the 1930s was magnificent.
Quote by Arby911

it's like Kentucky fried chicken, the original I like best not the extra crispy.
I spent actual time reading your OP, OP.

I almost feel entitled to compensation.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Arby911
I doubt anyone surprised by this...

nor you, with an insult

Hard to understand movies are stupid, It's not that I can't understand it its that I'm tired solving problems and finding solutions in my life and I don't want to watch a movie to use as a mental exercise. I get enough of that already. The hoity-toity people who make these movies need to realize that. Clockwork Orange holy ship!

Are you not entertained? Maximus
Quote by yope
nor you, with an insult

Hard to understand movies are stupid, It's not that I can't understand it its that I'm tired solving problems and finding solutions in my life and I don't want to watch a movie to use as a mental exercise. I get enough of that already. The hoity-toity people who make these movies need to realize that. Clockwork Orange holy ship!

Well, Maximus is here to entertain us.

That sounds like 'anus'.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Banjocal
I spent actual time reading your OP, OP.

I almost feel entitled to compensation.

you liberals always feel the need for entitlements. What you get with that was enlightenment
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Well, Maximus is here to entertain us.

That sounds like 'anus'.

that sounds like Butthead
Quote by yope
that sounds like Butthead

That'll be because I was paraphrasing the wise sage himself.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by yope
nor you, with an insult

You confuse insult with observation, also unsurprising.

As to the above, that's the human condition. Only the dead are free from that particular concern. If you expected life to be simple, fair and convenient, you got on the wrong ride. Your irritation with elitism is in itself a form of elitism, albeit in a race-to-the-bottom fashion.

"The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

You would seemingly have us instructed by instinct, but fortunately people of reason still prevail.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

No. It is absolutely horrible. The original seems like a work of art in comparison.
Page 1 of 2