Poll Options
View poll results: Can it affect?
Yes
32 91%
No
3 9%
Voters: 35.
Page 1 of 2
I was not a spoiled child, did what my parents told me to do, and if I screwed up, well, I was hit.

I learned and eventually come to a conclusion that it was a good thing they did that because it kept me in line from slacking off and taught me valuable morals and responsibility.

A friend of mine who was spoiled and got everything now has personal problems to deal with because he wasn't taught how to do certain things as a kid and he's a very lazy slacker that failed in society so far. So now me and a couple buddies decided to help him out.

I don't know if other situations like this happened to people, so what do you all think?
Can parenting affect your behaviour in the long term? Good question, glad you asked it.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Yes it can.

Spoiled people (who can often be lone children) can be annoying little bitches who don't know the value of money and how hard other people have to work to get what they take for granted

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I was spoiled and I'm a douchebag.

though I hope you're not implying we should start hitting people to teach them 'life lessons' lol.
Quote by chrismendiola at #33636064
Can parenting affect your behaviour in the long term? Good question, glad you asked it.

Can asking sarcastic questions stifle conversation and foster a hostile mindset in an already struggling community? I don't know, you tell me.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Certainly in teenagers it can cause major issues. And not just in the spoilt kids themselves either.

Adulthood I don't really have enough examples to say conclusively. I did go to school with this absolute brat though. She seems to feel really bad about it and spends most of her time doing charity work now.
On the other hand, I have an ex that was a complete brat because she felt more special than others because she "been though shit all alone". She was constantly talking bad about people that had a loving family or other people that offered a helping hand.

I believe it's either too much of being spoiled or left alone that makes a person an asshole.
I come from a privileged background and I'm lazy, but I feel like by admitting that I am shifting the blame to my parents rather than accepting that it's my own fault.

Most of my friends are from similarly privileged backgrounds and none of them are as bad as I am. They're good people and they work very hard.
Last edited by sashki at Oct 14, 2015,
Absolutely. I didn't come from a wealthy background, so I have always had to work to get things I wanted. To be honest, not being given everything I could ever want (in my opinion) has given me an outstanding work ethic and I appreciate the things I have earned for myself.
I was (am) spoiled but everyone likes me because i'm not a douchebag
or am i
or am i not
?
!
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
IME spoiled people can be super oblivious to the world's problems and have little to no empathy for those who didn't grow up under similarly privileged circumstances.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Yes, but you don't spoil kids with things, you spoil them by not paying attention, not teaching them, not holding them accountable and then giving them things to make up for your own parental failures.

All of my kids had more, and cooler, stuff than I did, and I'm glad they did. I don't begrudge them the fact that they grew up in a more technologically advanced era than I did. But I still did my job as a parent to the best of my ability, and that included paying attention to them, doing things with them, showing them how to do things (and letting them fail occasionally, even when I hated it) and holding them accountable for their actions. (but NOT letting them be held hostage to the actions of others, group accountability is a crock of shit.)

They turned out ok.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Yes. Not even up for debate.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
there's this dude whose parents are really rich. he got his ba in philosophy and now spends his time playing video games and working a min wage job. I'm from a poor background, chasing a stem degree and career and work a job thats fairly over min wage.

so yeah

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by Arby911
Yes, but you don't spoil kids with things, you spoil them by not paying attention, not teaching them, not holding them accountable and then giving them things to make up for your own parental failures.

All of my kids had more, and cooler, stuff than I did, and I'm glad they did. I don't begrudge them the fact that they grew up in a more technologically advanced era than I did. But I still did my job as a parent to the best of my ability, and that included paying attention to them, doing things with them, showing them how to do things (and letting them fail occasionally, even when I hated it) and holding them accountable for their actions. (but NOT letting them be held hostage to the actions of others, group accountability is a crock of shit.)

They turned out ok.

Agreed. Giving a kid the stuff he/she wants or asks for isn't inherently bad, but it's always going to be necessary to actually parent the kid as well.
When I asked my dad for a pedal kart, he did in fact make sure I got one, but he did so by building me one himself (and letting me help). Not only did I get my pedal kart, but I also learned some stuff and had a great day with my dad. And in doing stuff like this (my mom did similar stuff), my parents also showed me that the expensive stuff other kids had wasn't the only way to have a good time, so I ended up asking for less stuff.
Quote by Gatecrasher53 at #33636116
Can asking sarcastic questions stifle conversation and foster a hostile mindset in an already struggling community? I don't know, you tell me.

If that upsets you, then you're not made for The Pit.

Sarcasm is good humour, and we need more of that in The Pit other than asking questions to where there can be no disagreement.

Quote by OriginOfFeces at #33636122
On the other hand, I have an ex that was a complete brat because she felt more special than others because she "been though shit all alone". She was constantly talking bad about people that had a loving family or other people that offered a helping hand.

I believe it's either too much of being spoiled or left alone that makes a person an asshole.

This, also. Isn't it annoying when people go on about how hard they've worked and how they judge everyone else for not working so hard? It's almost like they resent other people for not struggling.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by chrismendiola
Sarcasm is good humour, and we need more of that in The Pit

I disagree, sarcasm is the worst and should be banned.
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Sure, but some people grow up and have enough self-awareness to know they were shits as kids.

I got a bit of both sides of the spectrum. Physical discipline has not and will never work on me. Bloody me up, black my eyes, it won't change my behavior. A reward system has always been much more effective in altering my habits.
Quote by Arby911

They turned out ok.

yea, this
Quote by ultimate-slash
Agreed. Giving a kid the stuff he/she wants or asks for isn't inherently bad, but it's always going to be necessary to actually parent the kid as well.
When I asked my dad for a pedal kart, he did in fact make sure I got one, but he did so by building me one himself (and letting me help). Not only did I get my pedal kart, but I also learned some stuff and had a great day with my dad. And in doing stuff like this (my mom did similar stuff), my parents also showed me that the expensive stuff other kids had wasn't the only way to have a good time, so I ended up asking for less stuff.

Your dad seems cool.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by ultimate-slash

Sounds like your dad understands what it means to be a dad!

Make sure you keep that tradition alive!
Charles Darwin
Quote by slipknot5678
me too
How do you make a signature? Is this a signature? Sig?.... Nature?..... Sigmund Freud?...... Nature Valley?.... Sigmund Fraud?..... Frankie Valli?.... ah, $!*@ it...
Quote by slipknot5678

I wasn't spoiled(at least, I don't think I was), and I'm a cunt.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I wasn't spoiled(at least, I don't think I was), and I'm a cunt.

Clearly false, because if it were true I would like you.

You're a dick.

Charles Darwin
My wife and I used to live and old friend and we hated it. Mostly we had beef because the both of us were raised just above the poverty line and he was the baby brother of some rich parents. We didn't dislike him BECAUSE he was rich, we hated how oblivious to regular people struggles he was. He's 25, his parents bought him a condo and he has a credit card from them he puts his food and gas on, plus he's on their car insurance and phone plan. Dude has like no bills. Which, again, good for him, I'd like to have that as well, can't fault him.

What we'd get irritated with is he'd assume folks had money like him. He'd buy tickets to a concert and then buy a new video game then go out to eat. Sometimes we'd join and buy tickets and go to dinner, too, and he'd say stuff like "I just don't understand how people don't keep enough money aside to do fun stuff like this!" and my wife and I would have to bit our tongues because we just spent all our extra cash until the next paycheck on dinner and tickets, so we'd be shut-ins for the next week while we watched him go around and do stuff.

What we have learned is that growing up spoiled severely stunts your ability to be self aware. It's really not his fault that he hasn't had to deal with bills, or known the stress of waiting for your paycheck to to spend it all on rent immediately. However, it's completely disabled him from being empathetic to anyone who has financial struggles. The guy honestly believes that he has earned what it is he has, which is about 25% true. My wife and I both qualified for government assistance until recently (we didn't want to take it because we knew more folks were worse off, but that's another discussion), and I'm busting my ass to get a second degree in a more profitable job field, and I have to keep resigning contracts with the national guard just so I can afford education and healthcare... and after all that I realize I'm still in a better spot than 80% of my peers. He's never understood that struggle, therefore he's lost a TON of friends because he can't relate. He thinks he's "leaving them behind because they can't manage their money." He's said this to me, but really they just stop going with him to stuff.

I'm a little afraid for the guy. His parents are both in their 60's, and most of his family dies in their late 60's from trends of his grandparents and uncles (they're not that healthy, all smokers and heavy drinkers). He's never lived without a safety net so it's going to be very precarious when it drops from under him. Knowing my wife and I we'll probably help him out, begrudgingly.

/roommate rant
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Oct 14, 2015,
isn't this kind of an asinine question? of course it would?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
isn't this kind of an asinine question? of course it would?

OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Arby911
Clearly false, because if it were true I would like you.

You're a dick.

Better a dick than a... git.

Damn, that's a weaker finish than the 8th wank in 2 hours
Quote by Diemon Dave
Most spoiled thing I did was have my mom drive me to Best Buy (FAR) when she had a migraine so I could get Halo 2.
of course lol. this is like clinically proven and thousands upon thousands of pieces of literature have been written on the subject.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Better a dick than a... git.

Damn, that's a weaker finish than the 8th wank in 2 hours

I expect better, go get some rest and come back when you can insult me properly!!
Charles Darwin
For the most part my siblings and I had to save up money if we wanted something growing up. We always knew the value of a dollar or whatever. If we did want something that we couldn't afford my parents always made sure we did something to earn it. We did get a lot at Christmas and birthdays for the most part, but if one of us acted like a spoiled ungrateful brat (which we probably all did at one point or another) it would NOT go over well. They always made sure we knew we had it fairly good and not to take it for granted.

Both of my parents were one of eight children in working class homes growing up so they always said they wanted our lives to be nicer than theirs were. I'll probably do the same with my own kids whenever that happens.

I don't think it's good to spoil them, but I also knew people who's parents were just kind of jerks, and were extreme in the other direction. There's always a good middle ground.

Quote by ultimate-slash
Also did this. Built one of my bikes, and it was fucking awesome.
This is the most poorly-considered nature-vs-nurture thread OP EVER
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger

Clearly yes.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3 at #33636773

Clearly yes.

good post

Spoiled kids make for entitled dicks in later life, the kind that never heard the word "no" and wants everything their way and throws a tantrum when they don't get what they want
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
I'm not sure the tories are entitled dicks so much as they're utterly malicious.

The queen on the other hand...
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by chrismendiola at #33636271

This, also. Isn't it annoying when people go on about how hard they've worked and how they judge everyone else for not working so hard? It's almost like they resent other people for not struggling.

in my experience, with these type of people once you find out their actual background they never legit struggled in the way they make it out to be. so many times I have heard 'fuck you I work for a living' etc. (as if nobody else does lol) from someone who thinks because they didn't get everything they want that they are severely disadvantaged and that everyone around them is just lazy and stupid and they go off on this 'humanity is shit' bs. actual struggling people are less likely to act that way ime at least.

not that I'm trying to marginalise people's problems but I think you know the type I'm talking about.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Oct 14, 2015,
Page 1 of 2