So I'm gonna get myself an English-made JCM2000 amp head soon. For now I'm gonna use it pretty much exclusively for bedroom recordings and I'm wondering if it's okay for that amp to run without a load (speaker cabs) connected?
Not good with valve amps.
Don't do it unless the amp has a silent recording mode or whatever it's called.
the new 6505 mini and the 20w randall rm have this.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Not good with valve amps.
Don't do it unless the amp has a silent recording mode or whatever it's called.
the new 6505 mini and the 20w randall rm have this.

Is there any way around it? Like a fake load or something?
I don't think I have enough for both the amp and speaker cabs at this moment of time
Quote by nitrousable
So I'm gonna get myself an English-made JCM2000 amp head soon. For now I'm gonna use it pretty much exclusively for bedroom recordings and I'm wondering if it's okay for that amp to run without a load (speaker cabs) connected?

No. RTFM.
Quote by nitrousable at #33636232
I don't think I have enough for both the amp and speaker cabs at this moment of time

Dummy loads are indeed a thing.

NEVER run a tube amp under no load. You'll destroy the output transformer.

Are you trying to use the amp's preamp for recording and use cabinet sims? That's a very expensive and inefficient way to do it. Just get yourself a proper cabinet and a microphone.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 14, 2015,
Quote by nitrousable

Yes, of course -- there are load boxes like the TwoNotes Torpedo Live http://www.two-notes.com/en/hardware/torpedo-live/ or the Palmer PGA04 http://www.palmer-germany.com/mi/en/PGA-04-Speaker-Simulator-with-Loadbox-8-Ohms-PGA04.htm

Used by major professional bands on and off-stage. You may not be happy with the price.

While you're saving up for one of these, you might consider spending $80-90 for a used Pod XT bean.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Dummy loads are indeed a thing.

NEVER run a tube amp under no load. You'll destroy the output transformer.

Are you trying to use the amp's preamp for recording and use cabinet sims? That's a very expensive and inefficient way to do it. Just get yourself a proper cabinet and a microphone.

I have a Shure SM 57 mic so I'm all set I just need a better amp and some sort of a cabinet so as not to fry the output.. but like I said I do have some money issues getting all this together

dspellman Thank you, I will definitely be considering these!
Last edited by nitrousable at Oct 14, 2015,
Might I suggest a guitar to computer interface and some free or low cost software? You can do all of this for under a few hundred and have a killer setup. . . Literally $20 for the interface to get you started. . .

Check out the recording forum.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Have you considered Laney IRT Studio?
Bought one last friday, it's like when your sweetest dreams comes true...

Comes with dummy load, no need for a cab, just plug your headphones or plug it directly to you pc and record!
Quote by metalmingee
Might I suggest a guitar to computer interface and some free or low cost software? You can do all of this for under a few hundred and have a killer setup. . . Literally $20 for the interface to get you started. . .

Check out the recording forum.

Sorry but I am not interested in interfaces. I prefer real sound as opposed to computer generated one (that, albeit sounds very close to the real deal.)

carpercen I've read the specs and was left awed... Until I saw the price tag which is 535 Euro here for the new one That sure seems like a great piece of hardware it's just out of my price league... for now
Quote by nitrousable at #33636302
Sorry but I am not interested in interfaces. I prefer real sound as opposed to computer generated one (that, albeit sounds very close to the real deal.)

If this is the case, then why do you even want to turn your amp on in the first place? What's the point if you have nothing to drive it with?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by nitrousable

carpercen I've read the specs and was left awed... Until I saw the price tag which is 535 Euro here for the new one That sure seems like a great piece of hardware it's just out of my price league... for now

Unless you're running that amp at performance volumes with a decent cab you're not going to get "real sound" though, so your argument is kind of moot.

If you want decent sound quality for bedroom-level recording to a PC then a valve amp designed for stage performance simply isn't the right tool for the job.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by nitrousable

Well I hope you have a big house and the neighbors live far away. Because a JCM 2000 is a bit on the loud side.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If this is the case, then why do you even want to turn your amp on in the first place? What's the point if you have nothing to drive it with?

Well I do have a shitty guitar cab that I don't use because the jack connection is so loose that even a slight movement will break the connection... That is not a problem with my current amp since it doesn't require a load. But if the connection decides to drop when connected to a Valve amp that's troublesome...
Quote by steven seagull
Unless you're running that amp at performance volumes with a decent cab you're not going to get "real sound" though, so your argument is kind of moot.

If you want decent sound quality for bedroom-level recording to a PC then a valve amp designed for stage performance simply isn't the right tool for the job.

Well, I just really like the sound of it. It doesn't have to be stage-level loud to sound good. I've seen some youtube videos of JCM2000 being played and really loved it. I can't play very VERY fucking loud in my neighbourhood but I can play loud enough for it to sound good
Quote by nitrousable
Well I do have a shitty guitar cab that I don't use because the jack connection is so loose that even a slight movement will break the connection... That is not a problem with my current amp since it doesn't require a load. But if that happens with a valve amp that's troublesome...

Welp, I guess you're screwed then.

Or maybe, just maybe, you could spend the $4 and fix the damn jack?

Decisions, decisions...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Welp, I guess you're screwed then.

Or maybe, just maybe, you could spend the $4 and fix the damn jack?

Decisions, decisions...

It sounds like crap anyway. Sure, I can fix it and if I can't I can probably pay some techie at the guitar store... But I'd rather get a new one so I'm weighing my options and see what's best. I can probably afford another speaker atop of the amp for like 100$ bucks (same price for which I got my current speaker) but I don't think it's a good investment since 100$ speaker is crap by definition
Quote by nitrousable
It sounds like crap anyway. Sure, I can fix it and if I can't I can probably pay some techie at the guitar store... But I'd rather get a new one so I'm weighing my options and see what's best. I can probably afford another speaker atop of the amp for like 100$ bucks (same price for which I got my current speaker) but I don't think it's a good investment since 100$ speaker is crap by definition

Where do you live?
Charles Darwin
Quote by nitrousable
Looks pretty good... But it's 111 euros and not 100 dollars

I might just get it. Just need to save up a little.

Thank you for your advice!

I know, but it's still very reasonable. Worth it. $127 dollars isn't a massive difference.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Oct 14, 2015,
Quote by nitrousable
Well I do have a shitty guitar cab that I don't use because the jack connection is so loose that even a slight movement will break the connection... That is not a problem with my current amp since it doesn't require a load. But if the connection decides to drop when connected to a Valve amp that's troublesome...

Fixing the jack is literally a few minutes and a very low skill set away.