Anybody do any renders with their daw for really long projects? I recorded a performance that turned out to be about 5 hours and I am trying to render it. There are only two tracks (vocals and acoustic guitar). The first hour or two seem okay, but as the render goes on, there seems to be timing issues and the vocals start getting about half a second ahead of the guitar; I dont really understand what would cause it. Everything sounds and lines up fine in my daw, but the render seems to be messing it up. Im using Reaper and I am rendering to mp3 with the lame.dll. Any ideas?
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Select all items, and double click an item while still having all items selected. Enter 1 in the playback rate text field. Press okay. Check that the rate is 1.0 in the transport. Also, check if you didn't accidentally ad a tempo change marker. This won't matter if you did the first step. First try render to .wav and then to .mp3. Hope any of this helped.
if this didn't help, find where the problem exists and listen if the same problem occurs in reaper when playing back the same region. If the performance was recorded in multiple takes, you might have accidentally moved an item to the left of right, either by mouse drag or by keypad (4 and 6 buttons)
Nah its none of that. All my settings are 1.0 playback and i dont have any time change markers. Also, it sounds totally perfect in my daw no matter where i run playback. I tried Wav and it had the same problem. Something is getting fudged up because the track is so long or something
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by diabolical
Why not just cut it up and see what happens or render to wav for comparison.
I think the mp3 plugin might be doing some drift.

I tried .wav- same issue
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Not sure why you could possibly need a 5 hour long audio track. Split it up into smaller pieces...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I am thinking maybe beat mismatch. I am thinking that it might be audio card driver clocking issues, I had something drift like that back when I used Cubase 1 with Firepod drivers on Mac, maybe look at the clock or try different interface (the built in one?) instead of your regular one in Reaper.
Check with their message board, it might be well documented issue and you might need to upgrade to a later patch.

Personally, I'll split and render in smaller pieces.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Not sure why you could possibly need a 5 hour long audio track. Split it up into smaller pieces...

We'll I took video for the whole event also, and I was gonna put them together and it would have just been easier to have the one continuous 5 hr track, rather than doing a whole bunch of individual renders and joining them; especially since Im not exactly sure how short the tracks have to be to avoid the drift.. I was putting it together for my dad who enjoys listening to my performances (he got me into music to begin with).
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by diabolical
Do you have another DAW you can try it in, Audacity maybe?

Never mention DAW and audacity in the same sentence again. Haha.

These problems do occur in reaper. It's one of the downfalls of the program (can't really complain for the price eh)

I've been using reaper for 6 years now and found that it drifts on both mp3 and wav. Mp3 being the worst because of lame. On my macbook it starts to drift after about 2 hours of rendering. I've messed around with this quite a lot but never managed to solved it. So I just render in parts.

Another would be to invest in a new DAW like Cubase or Pro Tools
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by Watterboy
Nah its none of that. All my settings are 1.0 playback and i dont have any time change markers. Also, it sounds totally perfect in my daw no matter where i run playback. I tried Wav and it had the same problem. Something is getting fudged up because the track is so long or something

1) try realtime render

2) I would suggest rendering smaller sections at a time if realtime render doesn't work. 5 hours is kind of ridiculous. Chop it up.
The Audacity suggestion since it is free, easy to install and can import and line up two stereo files which can then render and you can compare if there is a drift.

Check the REaper forums, I don't think anyone would be using it if it had that issue, you are either on an older version or unstable version on Mac. That'd be my guess.