Hello,

So, I recently got a super deal on an 03 Ibby Prestige, but the deal was because the wiring didn't work at all in this guitar, Someone tried to re-wire it, and that did not go well. Their loss became my project.

Good news: Everything works, better than before.

What I did that was unique was I used some PC style quick change connectors to wire EVERYTHING up. I can change pickups, pots, switches, in seconds, and without getting out my soldering gun. I did this initially to trouble shoot which component was causing a nasty hum, turned out to be the Ibby COR-TEK 5-way, but the quick change connectors helped me do this. Then I thought, what the heck, leave them in! And, they work fine, with the new added feature that I can change anything in seconds, without soldering.

I will post pictures, but here is what I did:

Soldered the volume pot leads (12 total) to female quick change ends, so that the volume pot has a 12 way female connector. 6 ground posts, and 2 leads for each of the terminals on the pot. I made a loop connector to ground one of the terminals. The rest of the grounds are used for the pickups, tremolo ground, and 1 lead goes off the the jack.

Tone pot I soldered 6 leads, 3 on terminals, 3 grounds. I also took 2 caps (1 x 0.22uf and 1 x 0.47uf ) and soldered male connectors on them, so I can quickly change out the caps if I want to switch.

Changed the jack to a 2 wire male connector. Whats nice about this is that I can quickly wire any of the pickups directly to the jack, and change back in seconds.

I switched from the Ibby COR-TEK and their odd wiring of that switch to a standard Fender 5 way. 1 side is used for pickups, the other side I used for grounding the coil tap wires. I used an 8 connector female socket for this, 4 wires on each side. I did have to make a 2-into-1 coupling so I could connect both humbuckers tap leads to the same middle position so the humbuckers would tap in positions 2 and 4.

Pictures will do this thread alot more justice. I was thinking of selling kits like this on eBay for $50, or offering people the option to send me their guts and I convert their parts into solder-less quick-change connections.

David

PS - I saw the EMG kits, but they were all for their pickups and active wiring. My kit is for ANY pickup, and you don;t need to use a specific brand. Also, I plan to sell my kits at about 1/2 the price of the EMG's. (which were close to $100)
Last edited by howarddavidp at Oct 14, 2015,
I saw something similar once, again, with PC connectors. It is a splendid idea actually for the long run. Waiting for pics.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
I've used PC stuff before but just the monotony of "Converting" pickups to it one way like making quick connect cables was a headache, however the screw in terminals with a bit of prep work is excellent for strats and all for those who the dreaded soldering iron terrifies them