Hey guys. So I'm looking to buy a new tube head and I've got it narrowed to these options. I can get used a Blackout Mesa 100w/50w Dual Rectifier 3ch multi watt with a Mesa Rectifier horizontal 2x12 for $1600usd, I also have someone around my area selling a 100w/50w Mesa roadster + mesa recto horizontal 2x12 + cab road case for $1850usd. Both have new tubes and come with a spare set. The other option I am considering is saving some money and getting the Mesa Boogie Mark 5:25 (25w/10w) brand new for $1399usd from sweetwater.

Right now I'm going between the roadster and the mark 5:25.

I would not be gigging much with the head, mainly recording and bedroom playing but also possibly playing with a full Metal band with loud drummer. I would like it to be able to everything very well which from all the searching I've come up with the fact that all of these would have the versitility and quality that I want.

I enjoy playing a little of everything, from glassy cleans to classic rock and metal, to modern rock and metal being my main interests. I enjoy the thundering bottom end of the rectifiers for my rhythem and want to be able to get a nice change in sound between my rhythem and lead if I were to only use the single amp I bought. I also though like the tightness of the mark v's bottom.

So, which one would you guys buy?

The dual rec is only being sold as a set with the cab for $1600usd

The roadster is either $1400 usd for only the head or 1850 for the cab and cab road case

Other options have looked at have been the peavey 6505mh for $499, randall rd20h or rd45h for $399-$599, evh 5153 50w for $999, or the Mesa mini rectoverb 25 for $1049 if you guys would like to weigh in on those as well feel free
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Oct 14, 2015,
For $1600 you can get a used Dual recto or single recto and a Mesa 4x12 and have money leftover.

Here is a rectoverb (50 watts) for $750
www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Mesa-Boogie/Single-Rectifier-50W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-111460659.gc

and here are a few mesa cabs for you

Mesa recto 4x12 for $399
www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Mesa-Boogie/Rectifier-4X12-280W-Straight-Guitar-Cabinet-111475465.gc
or a 2x12 for $379
www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Mesa-Boogie/2X12-2FB-Guitar-Cabinet-111564465.gc

Save some money and do a bit of research
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Dual Rec. Hell, or perhaps even a ful Mark 6 and an overdrive?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
The Roadster is the most versatile of those choices with 4 channels and 3 modes each. Many say it's the best sounding of the 3 channel Rectifiers channel 2 and 3 which are 3 and 4 on the Roadster. You also get the cleans and overdrive tones of the Lonestar / Mark I on 1 and 2.

Fender cleans to ultra high gain metal and about everything in between all foot switchable.

I'd go Roadster but I already bought one!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
The links that Robb provided are pretty great deals. I really like my Dual Rec, never played a roadster and used to own a Single Rec. I will say that the Dual and Single do have different sounds. The Mark series is different tonally than the Rec, which I am sure you already know.

If it were me I would snag the Single Rec Rectoverb, then with money to spare buy pedals.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Now I just found a Mesa Rectoverb 25 with matching 1x12 cab on ebay for 520 right now ( bid only 3 days left so price will increase) but that pops to me as a screaming deal. It may be just the thing for me because that would leave me with plenty of cash left over for the gear for the home studio I want to set up. That may be a little more bedroom friendly too in getting the tones I want. Diabolical, how do you like the mini rec? Does it still have the bass of its big brother etc? I know it's a bit more mid voiced from what I've heard. Does it take an overdrive well for some tighter metal rhythems?
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Quote by TYSHADOWS
That may be a little more bedroom friendly too in getting the tones I want.

I don't believe you quite understand that wattage does not equal volume or low volume performance.

If you want quiet recording then looking into the Mesa CabClone or something like the Torpedo C.A.B.

Frankly for recording Dual Rec sounds at home there is a ton of free to inexpensive software that does a great job.

If you want a versatile amp from cleans to classic rock to cranked Marshall to thrash to modern metal and does them all very, very well the Roadster is your ticket.

Cleans = Channel 1 or 2 Clean or Fat
Classic Rock and Blues = Channel 1 Tweed
Cranked Marshall = Channel 2 Brit
Then you know about the Raw, Vintage, and Modern modes of Channels 3 and 4.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by bobafettacheese

If it were me I would snag the Single Rec Rectoverb, then with money to spare buy pedals.

+1

Or buy another guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I really love my tremoverb, ticks all of the boxes fot me.

For me, i wouldn't go single rec. I like the tube rectification. To me, that is part of the rectifier holy grail tone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ OK, there are plenty of Dual rectos for $800 also.

I'm not a huge fan of the tube rectification, but I haven't played around with them that much so that could be part of the issue.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate