Let's take an example here, you are playing chord progression F and G (so same shape but 2 frets apart), and when you do the switch, do you actually raise your fingers so that they don't touch the strings anymore, move them up the fretboard and place them on the G chord, or do you raise them only a little, slide your hand up the fretboard whilst lightly touching the strings and then when you reach the G chords you put pressure on the strings?

I've always been doing it the second way, but lately I've been noticing that those sounds the strings make while I slide my hand up the fretboard don't really do good for the music. I'm guessing when you are plugged it gets even worse?

I've been playing guitar for 5 years but only now have I noticed this....

p.s. I'm talking about acoustic guitar
There's not really a completely right or wrong way, but you do want, for the most part, to lift your fingers off the strings when you change chords. You also want to do it with the most minimal motion that you can.

In some cases you may want some sound effect of sliding a chord up, or you may want to palm mute to reduce the noise.

If you're having trouble changing chords, it might be because you're squeezing the strings and neck. That will always make it much less efficient and difficult for you to change chords. What you really want to get to is letting the weight of your arm and gravity do most of that work for you. So, rather than squeezing your fingers, you're just directing pressures. That way, you fingers will be a lot more nimble.
I'm not sure which one I do, I thing the second. If you dislike the sound I suppose you could train yourself out of that habbit, but I do think that most people who listen to accoustic guitar regard this sound as just a byproduct of the instrument's mechanics. I do believe that due to it's prevalence it's actually become an integral part of the guitar's sound, a desirable effect. Granted, I've never played a plugged acoustic but I've never heard anyone with negative attention to that sound.
"Yeees I am your god!" John Petrucci, Phsyco excercises
It depends on the song or your own personal preference. Some songs work better with the string sliding sound, some are better off without it. I mean, some songs would even sound best if you simply slide the whole chord up instead. So I guess, learn to do both would serve you best. Experiment around and find which sounds best.
i have a pretty light touch which helps with that. on acoustic you end up with some sliding noises unless you are super careful (i'm not) on electric it isn't as bad but again you need a lighter touch than acoustic. i don't take my fingers off the strings i just slide to the next chord. with some practice you won't get noise (or very little). learning string muting can help with this as well.
You don't pull your fingers away, you just let them go limp. They'll kinda stay on the strings. If you're getting sliding noise on an electric guitar you're probably pressing too hard (or you really need to use lotion on your hands).
Echoing previous comments, it depends on the sound you want. Try to focus less on the mechanics of your left hand and hear the sound you want to produce.... play around this for half a day non stop and it will come.

It's a combination of palm muting and string dampening (right and left hands) - we're talking very minor movements here, something that isn't really 'teachable' but something you will get a feel for.

A lot of people hide the change behind a 'down/up' on the 'and' beat after the 4 (in 4/4 time).
I never thought about how I do it until you posted this thread. I got a guitar and played to see what I do. It agree with Davemagfly. I lift my fingers enough to make a smooth change but I instinctively palm mute the strings between changes if the next chord inversion requires moving to another position on the neck. I don't get any additional or unwanted string noise. I have done this for so long that I do it without thinking. Good question.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Oct 19, 2015,
I typically lift my fingers enough to mute the strings, but my fingers stay in contact with the strings the entire time.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
It actually gets better when you're plugged in. The raw scraping sound gets more amplified on guitars with soundholes.
Ah....barre chords again. I really need to get them down. I will definitely leave my fingers on the strings while working with them (I think it'll be easier that way), but when I "skill up" I'll do what I do now...I'll lift my fingers off the strings when changing chords (except for common fingering, obviously).