Can you actually gig with an amp as small as 5 or even 1 watt??? I have been lugging around a hefty 2 x12 for the last 2 years, don't get me wrong it's an amazing amp but I'm curious to know more from the guys who have used a small valve amp and mic'd it up at a gig to full effect. If you want to offer suggestions too please barely in mind it must have an effects loop as i run a guitar processor through it. Thanks guys
INDIE SEMI HOLLOW DOUBLE CUT CUSTOM FOR SALE!!

IBANEZ S470 WITH MIRICLE MAN ADY SD JB PICK-UPS FOR SALE!!

PEAVEY VALVEKING 112 COMBO FOR SALE!!!

PM IF YOU ARE INTERESTED!!
I gigged fairly regularly with a 15 watt Tweaker for a few years. Majority of the time you're gonna be mic'd anyway so it doesn't really matter. Wattage =/= volume necessarily It does equal headroom, though.

I loved it. Single channel though so I had to do some volume knob shenanigans. I much prefer low watt amps.

I keep my renegade in the low power mode.

EDIT: sorry for the redundant intro I got as far as "can you really gig a 1 or 5 watt" and ignored the rest
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Oct 15, 2015,
Yep, one watt is plenty if you let the mic and PA do the heavy lifting and supply all the needed headroom. I am a small amp guy these days after dragging a 4x12 around for 10 years or so. I often gig with a SuperChamp at 15w with no need to mic for pub gigs. It has some built-in processing like Rev, delay, chorus, flange, but no effects loop.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I have an 18 watt Marshall and it's tough to keep it clean when playing at a decent volume. Micing it would obviously help but I think I'd be more comfortable in the 30 watt range. A 1x12 would be a lot less to carry regardless of wattage.
gigging with an amp with that small of a output totally requiers a great monitor otherwise you (and the rest of the band) won't be able to hear yourself on stage. as metnioned not much headroom.
I have a smaller Blackstar ht5r amp. It has a line out than can be ran to a PA while still throwing signal to the speaker for stage volume.

It's pretty darn versatile but you may run into headroom issues at louder volumes gigging.
Burrito Enthusiast
i know its probably obvious, but it should be noted that if playing with a band your low watt amp needs to be mic'd. dont expect your 5-15w to compete with a drummer on its own.
The only people I’ve seen use five watt amps live were guitar and bass jazz dues. i.e. no drummer.
its not about volume. its about HEADROOM. a 5 watt amp will be some variation of dirty the whole gig. it could be just breaking up / cleanish which sounds great! its all about you, your pick attack, your pickups, your music style.

some people may be able to play a 5 watt amp perfectly clean. others may never get a clean tone. so many vairables. its headroom, not volume.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
But yeah, If you want to be super realistic 15 watt is watt I would say the safe minimum would be.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
You can gig with anything, the problem with small 5W- amps is that you have to rely totally on the sound guy to hear yourself. Personally, for that reason, I wouldn't go lower than a 15W tube amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Vox Pathfinder and Laney LX amps are great for gigging. Sure, they are solid state but both amps sound and respond like a tube amp. The Vox Pathfinder would be the better option.

Then just get a decent overdrive/distortion pedal like a Mesa Boogie Flux-Drive, Throttlebox, Blackstar HT-DIST, HT-DRIVE or MI Audio Super Crunchbox and you'll be sweet. Using a high quality cable like Mogami, George L or Lava will also help. I like to use Ernie Ball Cobalts or M-Steels because I find them to have a great audio response.

I hope I have been of help

Though for small amps I would recommend:

Vox AC4
Laney CUB
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Yamaha THR10 (not a tube amp)
Epiphone Junior
Ampeg GVT-5

You could always connect to an external cab and put a Bad Cat Unleash between it to increase the wattage...
Last edited by Gibson_LesPaul_ at Oct 17, 2015,