Hey y'all,

Got a new track to share with whoever might be interested to hear it.

It's entitled 'Heart Dimension'

https://youtu.be/2sZAEAMM86I

A sort of heavier track than usual but still with the progressive elements.

Also, I'm up for some C4C so if you're interested just share away with what you got as well.

Cheers.
Good stuff man! Are the weird synthy sounds synth or cool guitar effects?

Also curious in what manner this was recorded. I live the song but the performance sounds a little stiff. That's just my opinion.
Been Dazed and Confused...
Hey ZeligtheAxMan,

Yes the weird synthy sounds are synths and the track was recorded by writing it in guitar pro first then exporting to midi then importing that midi into fl studio to play it through virtual instruments then exporting each virtual instrument as a wav file and importing it into Adobe Audition whereby I record guitar over it (guitar recorded using Line 6 PodHD500x plugged into a focus rite scarlett 2i2 audio interface) and do the sound production thang then bounce all the audio files to a mixdown then import that mixdown into fl studio to play it through a mastering plugin then, when mastered, export to wav file and use windows movie maker to make a video using that wav file and then upload to youtube. Finitto.
Last edited by Steve Hart at Oct 16, 2015,
Quote by Steve Hart
Hey ZeligtheAxMan,

Yes the weird synthy sounds are synths and the track was recorded by writing it in guitar pro first then exporting to midi then importing that midi into fl studio to play it through virtual instruments then exporting each virtual instrument as a wav file and importing it into Adobe Audition whereby I record guitar over it (guitar recorded using Line 6 PodHD500x plugged into a focus rite scarlett 2i2 audio interface) and do the sound production thang then bounce all the audio files to a mixdown then import that mixdown into fl studio to play it through a mastering plugin then, when mastered, export to wav file and use windows movie maker to make a video using that wav file and then upload to youtube. Finitto.

Way more detail than I was expecting or can even comprehend to be honest. Thank you for that information! One day soon I'll stop being lazy and start doing what you're doing! Until then I'll say this semi-obnoxious armchair piece: You're a killer musician and would probably sound ten times better playing the same song with 2-3 other guys then in this format.

Keep on making killer music man!
Been Dazed and Confused...
Hi mate, thanks for the crit. This combines a lot of styles of music I love. The riffs are great- I really enjoyed the groove from around 0:30. Mix wise everything is audible and seems to be in the right place. The guitars are occasionally a little flat- maybe try playing around with the EQ a bit. The composition itself and the playing is however very good!
Production side: Cut a bit of lower mids on the guitars. Boost the drums a bit, compression, limiter on master drum buss, lower volume of rhythm guitars so the synths come out a bit better, the guitars are kind of masking everything else.

Composition: This is nice. Reminds me a little bit of early Dream Theater. I like it. Very VERY proggy. No real criticism, just that I feel some better production is really need to truly make this track shine.

I have a suggestion. Ditch FL studio, download reaper. Use Massive or Absynth or any of the FabFilter synths for your weird sounds. And work a bit on the production end. Especially giving each instrument its own space. Thats the only thing thats lacking, its a very very entertaining and engaging track to listen to, in a strong 80's prog kind of way.
very proggy sound and it keeps the interest man, mixing could use some work but still listenable. I like the odd sounding riffs that aren't very common very refreshing!
First off, thanks for checking out my track. Apologies for taking so long to get back to you.

Onward!

"Heart Dimension" thrusts the listener into a gritty, gothy, atmosphere. This track instantly reminded me of old-school Paradise Lost, Tiamat, and Mental Home. The track evolves and crosses genres without skipping a beat or detrimentally changing the feel. Some of the phrasing is very melodic, juxtaposed by atonal phrasing.

Here are some of the highlights of the track for me:

0:42 Wow! There's some really progressive stuff going on here.

2:00 The track feels significantly 'happier' here.

3:30 Going back to the vibe of the intro, this was really a full-circle moment

3:58-4:20 I found the transition from glee to gloom here rather amusing.

I really dig your approach and note choice. Thanks for sharing your creation with me.

Cheers
Thank you for listening ZeligtheAxMan, aaron aardvark, Richo1985, GS LEAD 5, enloartworks and silvadolla.

I appreciate the advice about the sound production. As you might notice it's a learning in progress for me. I always try to do a little better with each new track but still got much to learn.

As for the reference to the bands 'Paradise Lost', 'Tiamat' and 'Mental Home' (silvadolla) this is the first time I've actually heard of these bands, thanks for bringing them to my notice.

Keep it spicy y'all
Last edited by Steve Hart at Oct 20, 2015,
Thanks for checking out my track. It sounds like some professional 1980's prog track, I enjoy how well you repeat some of the riffs using different tones also the harmonies are very well done, the way you transition and compose is also admirable. The part starting at 1:51 was awesome sounding, I imagined myself at like some weird playhouse on acid.

Overall it's a impressive and interesting song. I was hoping and would of liked to hear some part where you just let loose and got dirty with a instrument for 32 bars, lol but it's your music your choice.
Hey Steve,

Overall very well played and a interesting composition .
I specially like the melody starting at 00.40. Including the odd time measures.
Your song stays interesting all through the end.
As mentioned before . A better recording would do a lot for this piece of music.
Maybe Cubase , ore Studio one pro ?

I prefer the sound of your lead over your rhythm sound , probably a Line6 issue .
I personally didn't like the percussion sounds in the background. For me they don't fit very well into this kind of music .

I did like too listen to your song very much!

If you wanna listen too one of my songs feel free .

Greetings,
Sef Bezemer

Prime Time
Hi mate,

Really cool tune, reminds me of Dream Theater. I think the drums could do with some velocity variations to make them sound a bit more human-like and maybe bring them up in the mix as they are a bit overpowered by the guitars. The guitar/synth duo parts sound nice and I like the tones.

Overall, I enjoyed it!

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33649492#post33649492