Hi there!

I'm looking for some good books on guitar maintenance and setup.
I own a couple of guitars and I wanna be able to do this myself. I think it's a nice thing to be able to do - and if I were to take all my guitars to the pro, I would run out of money...
So, can any of you recommend some books on the subject?
I've been looking on Amazon and there's A LOT of book there, but can't really figure out whick one's the best or if I should buy more than one...

A little help, please!

THANKS
Don't spend money on book as there is tons of free info all over the net. That's how I learned, and of course by doing.
ime, the stew mac/dan erlewine & eric coleman books are good.

there's tons of bullshit on the internet regarding guitars so if you know nothing how do you know what is right and what is wrong unless you make a mistake on something expensive?. for example, there's a person on the internet who advocates "strapping down the headstock and body" of your guitar to a table with ratchet tie-downs to level the neck in preparation for fretwork. if you are new and follow this advice what do you think will happen?

buy a book first -it's a good start. then once you have a clue you can separate fact from fiction in your internet searches a lot better.
Last edited by ad_works at Oct 16, 2015,
^ yeah. teaching yourself only really works if you have enough knowledge to filter out the crap.

Which is not to say that everything written in a book is necessarily correct, of course. the erlewine one, IIRC, says you can adjust a floyd's string height/action under full tension, and personally I'd be a bit wary of that. But other than that, the erlewine one is pretty good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
'''says you can adjust a floyd's string height/action under full tension, and personally I'd be a bit wary of that.'''

since the fr is a balanced floater how else? the screws are hardened as well as the seats. you should have a drop of oil or a tiny dab of grease in the contact areas anyway. once the base plate is leveled it's simply a matter of up and down.
Quote by ad_works

there's tons of bullshit on the internet regarding guitars so if you know nothing how do you know what is right and what is wrong unless you make a mistake on something expensive?. for example, there's a person on the internet who advocates "strapping down the headstock and body" of your guitar to a table with ratchet tie-downs to level the neck in preparation for fretwork. if you are new and follow this advice what do you think will happen?

buy a book first -it's a good start. then once you have a clue you can separate fact from fiction in your internet searches a lot better.

Well if you only go by one guys word, then that's really your own fault if you do wreck something.

I was a little leery doing stuff that could be damaging if done wrong, or overdone, so I read up about it. A lot. Now this guy could buy a book published by this guy, or he could find an online copy of it, or almost identical.
Quote by ad_works

Agreed. I recommend this one

www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Electric-Guitar-Great/dp/0879309989
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
^^^^ Exactly what I recommend: How to make your electric guitar play great by Dan Erlewine.

Quote by esky15
Don't spend money on book as there is tons of free info all over the net. That's how I learned, and of course by doing.

DO spend the money on the book; it's the best $20 you'll spend on your guitar.

YouTube simply has too much random crap that's just absolutely wrong and/or incredibly stupid. You want a *basis* of accurate information to start with. After that, you can much more easily sift out the chaff from the wheat and figure out what makes sense on YouTube.
Last edited by dspellman at Oct 16, 2015,
^ I guess if it's a video by a manufacturer, I'd probably assume it's ok. But I agree with you, you need to watch who you listen to on youtube etc.

Quote by ad_works
since the fr is a balanced floater how else? the screws are hardened as well as the seats. you should have a drop of oil or a tiny dab of grease in the contact areas anyway. once the base plate is leveled it's simply a matter of up and down.

just loosen the strings
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

just loosen the strings

since leveling the base plate depends upon equal tension from the strings and the springs this would defeat the purpose.

per Floyd Rose, step 8:

"Step 8:
When tuning is complete, check the action of the strings off the neck. If your action is to high or to low, adjust the action with the two rocker screws(bridge pivot screws) using the 3mm Allen wrench. This adjustment will slightly change your tuning. If your fine tuners run out of range you must repeat steps 1 through 7."

https://www.floydrose.com/support/tech-support/string-tuning-instructions

i would think the originators of the device would know a thing or two, but points off to them for misspelling "Too" on a corporate website.
The Complete Guide to Guitar and Amp Maintenance by Ritchie Fliegler. Great book.
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
Quote by ad_works
since leveling the base plate depends upon equal tension from the strings and the springs this would defeat the purpose.

per Floyd Rose, step 8:

"Step 8:
When tuning is complete, check the action of the strings off the neck. If your action is to high or to low, adjust the action with the two rocker screws(bridge pivot screws) using the 3mm Allen wrench. This adjustment will slightly change your tuning. If your fine tuners run out of range you must repeat steps 1 through 7."

https://www.floydrose.com/support/tech-support/string-tuning-instructions

i would think the originators of the device would know a thing or two, but points off to them for misspelling "Too" on a corporate website.

huh fair enough. I always figured i banjaxed my old ibanez lo-trs by adjusting under tension. you can definitely feel a lot more resistance if you adjust under tension than if you don't.

And yeah if you detune the back end of the bridge will sink into the body but you can still adjust the action height at the posts, you just have to guess a little.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?