I'm not too experienced with the tech behind basses and how they are usually set up. I know it is not too different than guitars. One chap I know has a relatively high-end bass and the knobs do some funky things I don't understand. Anyhow, every bass I've picked up in the local music store buzzes quite a lot. Could be from the mediocre amps we have for them, but it could be the bass as well.

I'm guessing they are all single-coil pickups? Maybe? Or maybe some are humbuckers and I'm doing it wrong. Even the single-coils that I can seem to have hum-buck through knob selection, it still sounds kinda gross.

I worked on a bass today that looked like it had a humbucker innit, but it still buzzed a lot. It was also a really shoddy bass.

Please enlighten me.
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 16, 2015,
Single coils will always hum in guitar shops where there's a lot of electric interference for single coils to pick up. Basses tend to have higher output pickups and/or active preamps too which make the situation worse. If you buy a bass that hums from the shop it usually ends up costing about a fiver and 10 minutes of your time to fix.
Quote by Spaz91
Single coils will always hum in guitar shops where there's a lot of electric interference for single coils to pick up. Basses tend to have higher output pickups and/or active preamps too which make the situation worse. If you buy a bass that hums from the shop it usually ends up costing about a fiver and 10 minutes of your time to fix.
What fixes it, then?
There's no reason why a bass would hum other than the regular hum from single coils. basses aren't higher output. were you playing all these basses through the same amp? could be the culprit.
Have to agree with beatreebor. My Metalman Z is not expensive at all, has a very high output pickup, and is quiet as a mouse.
Same question: are you using a bass amp at home?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by Will Lane
What fixes it, then?

Grounding and shielding. A roll of copper tape and some solder and job's a good'n.

Quote by beatreebor
There's no reason why a bass would hum other than the regular hum from single coils. basses aren't higher output.

Most bass pickups, not all, have more windings than guitar pickups which makes the output generally higher. It's usually not enough to cause hum but in a shop where they haven't got power conditioners (they really should if they're trying to sell guitars and amps) it might cause extra hum.
Manufacturers spent all of the copper budget on windings and not shielding?
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
face north when playing.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Could try meditation.
Ooooooohhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmms Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwww.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B