So, I have a 99' Schecter C7+ with the stock Duncan designed pick ups. I also have a Jackson RRXMG with EMG's which I really, really like. I would like to find some pick-ups that match or come very close to the sound of the 81/85 combo to drop into my Schecter.

Problem is, I don't want to chop out the corners of the existing pick up pockets. The EMG are a soapbar design which will not fit the direct mount "eared" pu cavities on my C7+

The guitar looks like this one:

Details:
-I want actives ala EMG
-I can do all the wiring myself.
-I don't wanna cut any visible wood out of the guitar. Resizing of pot holes, etc.. is ok
-I really only need a bridge pu but a pair is fine as well.
-Budget up to $350 for everything. Will consider more if it's worth it.
-I'd rather not get custom pu's made.

I shred a steady diet of Death Metal, tuned down a whole step. Ripping Corpse, Malevolent Creation, Morbid Angel, Immolation, Suffocation, Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, etc... + originals.

I realize that the stock pu's are a tight fit but these guitars used to flood the market so I assume somebody somewhere has done this mod. (I hope)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by ad_works at Oct 16, 2015,
These aren't actives, but maybe consider dimarzio d-activators?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
These aren't actives, but maybe consider dimarzio d-activators?

thank you, that's a very good suggestion. i have played them in a new ibanez iceman and that guitar really sounded awesome to my ears. they had a lot of the clarity that i like for fast riffing and leads and allowed me to control my articulation and palm muting very well.

maybe i don't need actives. something to seriously consider.
Pretty sure the Seymour Duncan Black outs will fit a standard humbucker route
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
there is only one duncan designed that is active and that is the HB-105 they are based off of the seymour duncan blackouts which are made overseas in Korea to the specifications of their american pickups. BC Rich has used them a lot in 2014 or 2015 models I saw at Winter Namm where they introduce all the new guitars.

If you insist on actives I'd try blackouts or practically any seymour duncan because they come in 2-3 housings to choose from. If you're a fan of EMG pickups though go for it. The X or TWX series of them I highly suggest as our amps, picks and just what is in our hearts can turn any pickup as heavy as we want. The X and TWX series have less compression so you'll get a more versatile guitar out of it; the TWX you'll be able to split the coils if you want. I'm glad you can solder though so many guys get the solderless kits which are like trophies you give a losing baseball team for showing up.

two suggestions besides the 707X series
The EMG 57/66 seven string set I'd recommend. Andy James, Devin Townsend to many others are switching to them

the seymour duncan blackout pickups are my choice if you must go active but a compression pedal , noise gate, copper shielding tape and a really high output set of pickups like the Dimarzio X2N , Dimarzio D-activator , Seymour Duncan invader , black winter or distortion (three random examples) and you don't have to re-wire the entire guitar.

here's some more professional demos that weren't shot on a kids cellphone. Remember though every guitar has different needs (string type and all matters) and you can buy used which will work just fine. I bought/installed enough used pickups to build a few really nice coffee tables Ola is great for demos, if i was rich in 2009 I could have bought a prototype of one of his guitars off a former employee of strictly 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcPuOwecVzE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3YzI3sd2WA
Quote by Robbgnarly
Pretty sure the Seymour Duncan Black outs will fit a standard humbucker route

"all the crushing output and screaming harmonic intensity you've dreamt"

another good idea. right on man, thank you!
there is only one duncan designed that is active and that is the HB-105 they are based off of the seymour duncan blackouts which are made overseas in Korea to the specifications of their american pickups. BC Rich has used them a lot in 2014 or 2015 models I saw at Winter Namm where they introduce all the new guitars.

If you insist on actives I'd try blackouts or practically any seymour duncan because they come in 2-3 housings to choose from. If you're a fan of EMG pickups though go for it. The X or TWX series of them I highly suggest as our amps, picks and just what is in our hearts can turn any pickup as heavy as we want. The X and TWX series have less compression so you'll get a more versatile guitar out of it; the TWX you'll be able to split the coils if you want. I'm glad you can solder though so many guys get the solderless kits which are like trophies you give a losing baseball team for showing up.

two suggestions besides the 707X series
The EMG 57/66 seven string set I'd recommend. Andy James, Devin Townsend to many others are switching to them

the seymour duncan blackout pickups are my choice if you must go active but a compression pedal , noise gate, copper shielding tape and a really high output set of pickups like the Dimarzio X2N , Dimarzio D-activator , Seymour Duncan invader , black winter or distortion (three random examples) and you don't have to re-wire the entire guitar.

here's some more professional demos that weren't shot on a kids cellphone. Remember though every guitar has different needs (string type and all matters) and you can buy used which will work just fine. I bought/installed enough used pickups to build a few really nice coffee tables Ola is great for demos, if i was rich in 2009 I could have bought a prototype of one of his guitars off a former employee of strictly 7.

thank you mr wood. regarding emg:

http://www.emgpickups.com/guitar/7-and-8-and-9-string.html

i don't think they have anything that will fit my guitar without cutting wood unless i'm missing something? the current pockets have large radii in the corners.

sd blackouts's seems very interesting as well as the d-activator
I'd have to highly suggest the Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They fit in the standard housing. I have them installed in my Jackson RR3 and they're great for death metal and other low-tuned genres. Personally, I like them much more than the EMG 81, but your tastes might vary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sViny8FNwBk
Last edited by BlackDeath92 at Oct 16, 2015,
Quote by BlackDeath92
I'd have to highly suggest the Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They fit in the standard housing. I have them installed in my Jackson RR3 and they're great for death metal and other low-tuned genres. Personally, I like them much more than the EMG 81, but your tastes might vary.

that's a cool clip. thanks a lot for posting that! i can totally hear the difference. the emg is a bit more choked down while the sd seems a bit more open with just a touch more break up on the trebles. something that i could punch into for heavy grinding or open up for leads. i guess the sd would be more responsive to different amounts of muting and changes in pick attack and angle as well.

this one here might be the one for me:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/blackouts-bridge-7-strg-passive-mount

they look like they would certainly fit the pu pockets on the C7+.