I've heard that you can't get a new Fender Japan gear due to restrictions. I live in California. I really really want a Fender Japan Mg69 CAR or OCR. I talked to sellers from Ikebe-Gakki and Kurosawa Gakki and they said they can send me a new one but I don't know. They could have misunderstood my question or something so they said yes. I don't want it get taken by customs and end up wasting my money or can I trust these sellers?

Aside from going to Japan directly and getting the guitar, is the only solution is to buy a used one from Ebay or Ishibashi?
Last edited by sharkshara at Oct 16, 2015,
Used or Japanese sellers are the only way. Fender Japan doesn't sell guitars outside of Japan. There are some Japanese Fenders which aren't Fender Japan that are for export. Most traditional Mustangs were actually Japanese. They're not Fender Japan though. Here's a non-Fender Japan Japanese Mustang that's currently available:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-65-mustang-electric-guitar?rNtt=mustang&index=20

You should be fine ordering a guitar from Japan. Many have ordered J. Customs, Caparisons, and Edwards from Japanese sellers without problem. I think it's an individual seller thing though. I would look into the sellers and see if other people had success buying from them. You want to get it from someone reputable.

Keep in mind that there are talks of Fender Japan being shut down. So you should probably get one soon if you're dead set on it.
Quote by JELIFISH19

Keep in mind that there are talks of Fender Japan being shut down. So you should probably get one soon if you're dead set on it.

It has been shut down as of March 31st of this year.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
+1 for ishibashi. I live in Japan and use them. Just bought a US strat from them, no problems-but not international in my case. Honestly unless you just need a Japanese strat, US strats may be a better option considering shipping and everything. I tried out some Japanese strats recently and the frets are small and the necks were not as nice feeling as the US ones, plus US ones have custom shop pickups now. Maybe the specific model you are after is different though.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Quote by JELIFISH19
non-Fender Japan Japanese Mustang

What's the distinction that makes it "non-Fender Japan" but "Japanese"? Production of Japanese Fenders has always been contracted to a third party, hasn't it?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
This site has far too much uninformed hype on it that becomes somehow gospel. Why the need for a Japanese Fender? DO you think all Japanese Fenders are better than all MIA? Used they are not cheaper than a used MIA, mainly due to hype of course. There was a brief time in Fender's history when the employees lead by B Schultz purchased the rights and name to Fender from CBS and had to shut down the USA facility so they contracted a Japanese firm to make Fenders for a period of time during the changeover. The product coming out was fine, better than the CBS era stuff made just prior to it but once Fender got up and running gain they put out some great stuff, with innovations in HW and electronics. It's really only recently that their prices even went up (I paid $1100 for an MIA Strat Plus in 93 ( basically a Deluxe Model today) and until recently you could purchase it for $1600 almost 20 years later when my 1st home went from 80K to 300K in that same time period.

As someone who actually was playing guitar in the mid 70's in a teen band I remember what really went on back then and what people using the stuff were saying at the time, I know a lot of todays hype is BS, spread like any rumor. (eg lawsuits guitars, 70's Fenders) makes me laugh sometimes.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Oct 18, 2015,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
What's the distinction that makes it "non-Fender Japan" but "Japanese"? Production of Japanese Fenders has always been contracted to a third party, hasn't it?

From what I've understood, though I could be wrong, it's all hearsay, "Fender Japan" is operated as a separate company, and makes models that aren't sold by US retailers. While the same "Fender" that everybody knows in the US also offers a small handful of models that happen to be made in Japan, but not by the "Fender Japan" company.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by KenG
This site has far too much uninformed hype on it that becomes somehow gospel. Why the need for a Japanese Fender? DO you think all Japanese Fenders are better than all MIA? Used they are not cheaper than a used MIA, mainly due to hype of course. There was a brief time in Fender's history when the employees lead by B Schultz purchased the rights and name to Fender from CBS and had to shut down the USA facility so they contracted a Japanese firm to make Fenders for a period of time during the changeover. The product coming out was fine, better than the CBS era stuff made just prior to it but once Fender got up and running gain they put out some great stuff, with innovations in HW and electronics. It's really only recently that their prices even went up (I paid $1100 for an MIA Strat Plus in 93 ( basically a Deluxe Model today) and until recently you could purchase it for $1600 almost 20 years later when my 1st home went from 80K to 300K in that same time period.

As someone who actually was playing guitar in the mid 70's in a teen band I remember what really went on back then and what people using the stuff were saying at the time, I know a lot of todays hype is BS, spread like any rumor. (eg lawsuits guitars, 70's Fenders) makes me laugh sometimes.

well to be fair while not all japanese made fenders are gems many are. the japanese seem to prefer original specs and the guitars there are (were) often closer than the US counterparts. when it comes to the fender japan stuff it's very similar to the US in that there are higher end models and cheaper ones. the higher end models are considered by many to be as good or better than many US made models. of course this is just opinion.

the difference between the made in japan fenders vs the fender japan issue is similar to MIM vs US. the MIJ models were lower quality and price point like MIMS.