Page 1 of 2
are we gonna make it?

are we gonna settle on mars in 100-200 years?

Artificial intelligence will help us???

or...

large collapse within 1000 years due to disease, then the remaining surviving population will dwindle down to non-existence after massive climate change (ice age) wipes them out finally.

INB4 "we are only 2015 years old"

lol
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by flexiblemile
4 million years? Dude, citation needed.

OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by EyeNon15
For mammals that number gets a bit lower.

so we are only 2015 years old

jesus was right

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)

Quote by onelove50
What you talking about, God made us 4000 years ago!

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

I bet roaches will still be around though.
Quote by DQcrewmember
how do you ban people from posting in your threads?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't

Quote by Zaphikh
"Why are we here?"

"Plastic... asshole."
I wouldn't call us an average species.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
There's a sick irony in our highly developed self-awareness being a significant cause for our exceptionalism; something that will most likely lead to a major population cull occurring in a few centuries time.
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY
Turtles, Crocodiles, Ants, Cockroaches and several other species were alive during the time of the dinosaurs and are still cruising today, and were at least a little bit smarter than those so i think we'll be okay
Also i'm loving how interested the pit suddenly is in science, keep it up
________________________________ ________________________________
______________________________ ______________________________
Quote by Irondevil
Turtles, Crocodiles, Ants, Cockroaches and several other species were alive during the time of the dinosaurs and are still cruising today, and were at least a little bit smarter than those so i think we'll be okay
Also i'm loving how interested the pit suddenly is in science, keep it up

learn to taxonomy bro
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
lol we gon die

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Graham Hancock anyone?

Or are we going strictly cult of authority here?
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Oct 16, 2015,
Artificial intelligence scares me. Ever since 2001: A Space Odyssey... fuckin Hal. That will not help.

We wont go extinct but something will cull the population, mother nature will grow tired of us poking and prodding her. Fuckin whore...
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
There will be a mass, planned, depopulation happening in the not too distant future. The earth cannot sustain current population growth.
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
Quote by rpd
There will be a mass, planned, depopulation happening in the not too distant future. The earth cannot sustain current population growth.
Actually a hundred years ago the human race was WAY less sustainable than it is now, and once we develop the technology to build colonies on other planets itll stop being a problem all together.
Quote by theogonia777
learn to taxonomy bro
According to google: "Taxonomy is the science of naming, describing and classifying organisms and includes all plants, animals and microorganisms of the world."

But turtles, crocodiles, ants and cockroaches have barely changed at all besides shrinking, so i don't get your point.
Or are you saying that because theyre smaller that theyre not the same species? They shrunk because oxygen levels are much lower now than they were at the time of the dinosaurs, but besides that theyre almost the exact same as they were back then.
Quote by rpd
The earth cannot sustain current population growth.

Population growth is trending down worldwide and, barring a global calamity, will continue to do so. The great thing about about global trade is that it is moving poor people up into the middle class worldwide. Nothing stops people from breeding faster than a stable job, education, and enough money to buy birth control. Many developed nations already rely on immigration for growth because birth rates have crashed.
Quote by jpnyc
Population growth is trending down worldwide and, barring a global calamity, will continue to do so. The great thing about about global trade is that it is moving poor people up into the middle class worldwide. Nothing stops people from breeding faster than a stable job, education, and enough money to buy birth control. Many developed nations already rely on immigration for growth because birth rates have crashed.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

immortality through uploading our brains onto machines

machines self sustaining eventually encompass all the universe

maximum entropy reached and great machine-human sets off a new big bang

or however that one asimov short story went.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Irondevil
According to google: "Taxonomy is the science of naming, describing and classifying organisms and includes all plants, animals and microorganisms of the world."

But turtles, crocodiles, ants and cockroaches have barely changed at all besides shrinking, so i don't get your point.
Or are you saying that because theyre smaller that theyre not the same species? They shrunk because oxygen levels are much lower now than they were at the time of the dinosaurs, but besides that theyre almost the exact same as they were back then.

Species has nothing to do with size and "almost the exact same" isn't good enough. The difference between two species is entirely on a genetic level rather than a physical level. There are many species within a genus that are near identical visually, but gentically distinct enough to be considered distinct species. Meanwhile dogs, which vary considerably in size, shape, color, etc are not only members of the same species, but they are a subspecies, Canus lupus lupus, of the grey wolf and therefore the same species.

The examples you gave are different taxa of varying ranks consisting of hundreds of individuals species. Ants are the members of the family Formicidae and consists of probably thousands of species, and there are probably thousands more species that are undiscovered.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Oct 17, 2015,
Here's the thing. You said "turtles, crocodiles, ants and cockroaches are dinosaurs."

Are they in the same family? Yes. No one's arguing that.

As someone who is a scientist who studies turtles, crocodiles, ants and cockroaches, I am telling you, specifically, in science, no one calls turtles, crocodiles, ants and cockroaches dinosaurs. If you want to be "specific" like you said, then you shouldn't either. They're not the same thing.

If you're saying "turtles, crocodiles, ants and cockroaches family" you're referring to the taxonomic grouping of Reptiles and Insects, which includes things from nutcrackers to blue jays to ravens.

So your reasoning for calling turtles, crocodiles, ants and cockroaches dinosaurs is because random people "call the black ones dinosaurs?" Let's get grackles and blackbirds in there, then, too.

Also, calling someone a human or an ape? It's not one or the other, that's not how taxonomy works. They're both. A turtles, crocodiles, ants and cockroaches is a turtles, crocodiles, ants and cockroaches and a member of the family. But that's not what you said. You said turtles, crocodiles, ants and cockroaches are dinosaurs, which is not true unless you're okay with calling all members of the turtles, crocodiles, ants and cockroaches family turtles, crocodiles, ants and cockroaches, which means you'd call turtles, crocodiles, ants and cockroaches and other turtles, crocodiles, ants and cockroaches, too. Which you said you don't.

It's okay to just admit you're wrong, you know?
>CTRL+F
>"living fossil"
>"date palm"
>"population bottleneck"
>0 results

Great "discussion", guys.
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY
Last edited by Banjocal at Oct 17, 2015,
Quote by Irondevil
Actually a hundred years ago the human race was WAY less sustainable than it is now, and once we develop the technology to build colonies on other planets itll stop being a problem all together.

Or are you saying that because theyre smaller that theyre not the same species?
They shrunk because oxygen levels are much lower now than they were at the time of the dinosaurs, but besides that theyre almost the exact same as they were back then.

Yes, because that's a wholly insignificant environmental change, right?

Asstard.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Banjocal
>CTRL+F
>"living fossil"
>0 results

Great discussion, guys.

actually one just posted above me

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Fat Lard
Here's the thing. You said "turtles, crocodiles, ants and cockroaches are dinosaurs."

Are they in the same family? Yes. No one's arguing that.

I don't think he said that they were dinosaurs, but rather simply that they had existed since that time. And I hope you're not saying that they are all in the same family.
Quote by theogonia777
I don't think he said that they were dinosaurs, but rather simply that they had existed since that time. And I hope you're not saying that they are all in the same family.

There's only one dinosaur family that matters, anyway:

Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Fat Lard
Reread my post, i never said that, i said they also existed in the time of the dinosaurs. There were also small mammals living in that time but you wouldn't call them dinosaurs would you?

And to those other two posts that answered me, my point was that TS said species only survived an average of 4 million years before going extinct, but turtles, crocodiles, ant and cockroaches may not be the same species as they were at the time of the dinosaurs, but they certainly haven't gone extinct, which was my whole point. No need to get your panties in a bunch over one guy on the internet not being clear on what taxonomy is
Birth rates are down, but infant survival has increased loads, which means we don't need to have 8 children in the hopes that 2 will survive, now the 2 we have do survive

Immigration isn't being used to fill a birth rate gap, its being used to fill a cheap labour gap, as many working aged individuals in western nations are overqualified and don't want to do back-breaking manual labour. So bringing in a cheaper workforce that's more than happy to do that makes a lot of sense economically

we've completely dominated near enough the entire planet, we've effectively removed ourselves from the food chain. I think humans will be around for a long time, bar nuclear war or a major disaster like climate change fvcking up crops. Even then I don't think humans will go extinct, civilization as we know it will collapse, but small pockets of humans will survive, we're surprisingly hardy
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Last edited by Bladez22 at Oct 17, 2015,
Quote by Irondevil
Reread my post, i never said that, i said they also existed in the time of the dinosaurs. There were also small mammals living in that time but you wouldn't call them dinosaurs would you?

And to those other two posts that answered me, my point was that TS said species only survived an average of 4 million years before going extinct, but turtles, crocodiles, ant and cockroaches may not be the same species as they were at the time of the dinosaurs, but they certainly haven't gone extinct, which was my whole point. No need to get your panties in a bunch over one guy on the internet not being clear on what taxonomy is

You're the one who got your panties in a bunch over being corrected on a mistake.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by HardAttack
I wouldn't call us an average species.

I know right? We are cloning ourselves for fucks sake. We build crazy fast cars and really tall buildings. Let's see dolphins do that.
Quote by metaldud536
I know right? We are cloning ourselves for fucks sake. We build crazy fast cars and really tall buildings. Let's see dolphins do that.

yeah, and our pollution kills dolphins and other natural wild life.

go figure
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
You're the one who got your panties in a bunch
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Asstard.
Lol
Quote by slapsymcdougal
over being corrected on a mistake.
Those species still haven't gone extinct so no it wasnt a mistake, youre the one who misunderstood me
Quote by Irondevil
my point was that TS said species only survived an average of 4 million years before going extinct, but turtles, crocodiles, ant and cockroaches may not be the same species as they were at the time of the dinosaurs, but they certainly haven't gone extinct, which was my whole point.

That makes no sense. The whole point of this thread is that the average species survive about 4 million years.

Quote by Irondevil
LolThose species still haven't gone extinct so no it wasnt a mistake, youre the one who misunderstood me

Almost all species of turtles, crocodiles, ants, and cockroaches from 65+ mya are almost certainly extinct and have been replaced with new species, with only 3 species total (goblin sharks, frill sharks, and some type of primitive ant, the name of which I don't remember) from those having been around for potentially (as in /maybe/ at most) 100 Ma, and those three species are incredibly primitive and radically different from modern members of their respective orders and families. And those are extremely generous estimates that can't be based on genetic information since genetic material lasts a tiny fraction of that. Potentially the numbers could be much closer to our 4 Ma mark.

Otherwise all the others are long gone.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Oct 17, 2015,
Quote by Irondevil

fell for my memeful ruse
This beautiful fvcker was though to be extinct over 65 million years ago, only to be found in 1938 chilling by south africa

Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Page 1 of 2