Hey guys!

I've been trying to figure out that chord for about 30 minutes now. No matter what notes I try it sounds a bit off. The 2 last notes are Eb and F# but the 3 first notes of the arpeggio are hard to pick up. (at 3:09)

https://youtu.be/_A2CPqs7jMI

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Ibanez SIX28FDBG
ESP EC-1000 Deluxe
Ibanez AGR73T
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez AW
Peavey Triple XXX
BOSS pedals : TU-3 -> CS-3 -> NS-2 -> RV-5
First, mixing sharps and flats is usually a really bad idea unless you know what you're doing.

Second, an arpeggio is a broken chord. What you have is a chord.

Ending bit:
Fmaj7 B7 | Bbmaj7 A7 | Dmaj9 ||

Not sure where you're getting Eb and F#.
What's interesting about that proposition is how the bass note is ignored. To me, the bass is a lot easier to hear than everything except for the melody.
It's a V7 for the last chord.

A7.

Learn about chord functions and it gets so much easier to figure out chords. You don't need to hear every single note of the arpeggio to figure out the chord. After you know the function, it's a lot easier to find the extensions (if there are any).

The song clearly ends in a V7-I - the melody has the leading tone (C#) that is followed by the Dmaj9 arpeggio, and the bass goes from dominant to tonic (A-D).

Listen to the bass. Find the bass note first and built the chord on that. I would say the bass note is the most important note of the chord.

Quote by NeoMvsEu
What's interesting about that proposition is how the bass note is ignored. To me, the bass is a lot easier to hear than everything except for the melody.

Yeah. When I figure out chords, I always listen to the bass, then I listen to the melody. Those are the most important voices.

Before I knew that you need to listen to the bass, I had a really hard time figuring out chords. It was just guessing.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Oct 17, 2015,