The SE custom is made in Korea, the SE Standard are made in Indonesia(the old SE Standards form 10yrs ago were made in Korea).

The custom has a maple cap and a flame veneer on a mahogany body, the Standard is solid mahogany.

I'd say the Custom is a better guitar on paper, but either should be fine for you.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What would you recommend? the standard was 200$ less although with the negatives you mentioned.
I would recommend the Custom, but they're both good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
didn't see that comment. what do you think about the two above? idk if i can find a blue so i just went with the purple
The Korean factory has a proven track record with build quality, but I don't know about Indonesia.
Moving on.....
Holy crap, Those prices suck for you guys in Australia.
The standard is $499 and the custom is $750 here.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by KenG
The Korean factory has a proven track record with build quality, but I don't know about Indonesia.

The Indonesian SE guitars I've seen are on par with MIK, at least regarding build quality. I was shocked at what a huge jump in quality they are compared to most MII instruments.
Quote by jpnyc
The Indonesian SE guitars I've seen are on par with MIK, at least regarding build quality. I was shocked at what a huge jump in quality they are compared to most MII instruments.

I have a G&L that is really nice and it is MII
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There's several companies that make stuff in Indonesia, my Schecter Demon 7 is Indonesian and it's really solidly made.

Although generally I'd expect the SE to be a bit better, I think the hardware is also better. But simply knowing PRS I doubt they'd allow something of crap quality have their logo
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
Quote by jpnyc

Nah, there are some nice Indonesian-made stuff. Have two Ibanez Premiums that have better fretwork than the Prestige-models I've tried. It's nothing short of idiocy to argue build quality from where something was made.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
Nah, there are some nice Indonesian-made stuff. Have two Ibanez Premiums that have better fretwork than the Prestige-models I've tried. It's nothing short of idiocy to argue build quality from where something was made.

Really?
Try applying that statement to Chibsons or on the flip side to MIJ guitars.
While certainly not all encompassing/across the board, some countries have some pretty cheap ass factories putting pretty low end stuff out. Indonesia has a history of making some of the lowest quality guitars in the last decade or so. Doesn't mean there isn't a shop where they can but given their past I'd question the product (which I did)
Moving on.....
It all comes down to the company's approach to QC. Referring to my earlier example, most if not all lower-end Schecter models are made in Indonesia, as well as many cheaper and even lower mid-range Ibanez models. The latter are almost notorious for having fretwork issues, I haven't heard a bad word about fretwork regarding any Schecter.

The guitars made in Indonesia are mostly cheaper models indeed, but they aren't necessarily bad in any way. This is the opposite end of the "if it's made in USA it must be awesome" argument, which I don't think even needs disproving in 2015.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
PRS is the only company that's transparent about who makes their guitars. For others you have to do some research. The Indonesian PRS are made by Wildwood. The Korean ones by World Musical Instrument.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Holy crap, Those prices suck for you guys in Australia.
The standard is $499 and the custom is $750 here.

It's probably better than you thought if you haven't converted ausd to usd, but yeah it still sucks buying anything here, especially as a 16 year old.