(First pic stock photo of the guitar, 5 way switch H-S-S, tremolo bridge. Will post pics later this week in edit)

Seems like a common guitar in this area. Found my dad's old axe in the attic and absolutely everything was crap/rusted/bent beyond repair so I stripped the thing to the bones. I plan on reapainting it a black flat matte and having it totally black all throughout (pickguard/faceplate, neck if possible, tuning pegs, pickups, knobs, everything)

I need help on 3 main things, and help with pickguard.

1. I want to switch the pickups to a H-H setup, kinda like this but instead, I want 4 knobs (2 tone 2 volume) so is there enough space for that sorta thing or am I gonna have to do some carpentry?
1a. I want a custom pickguard, so is it worth the $45+ from here or do it like nader did and make my own? If it's better to make my own then how do I cut plastic cleanly?

2. Huge difference between this and the Strat is the big hole for electronics as opposed to the fixed hole in a strat. This leaves me asking if only faceplate pickups are possible? If so, how do I go about setting it?

3. I was thinking about replacing the neck but I have no idea on how to check a truss rod, fixing inlays, scalloping, basically anythinginvolving a custom neck. Where's the thread for neck repair/customizing?
Attachments:
eg112_medium_jpg.jpeg
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
1 - use dragonfire for your pickguard needs. 45$ without electronics or pickups is kind of highway robbery in my opinion. They have all the different routings such as floyd rose, 2 point fulcrum and 6 bolt tremolos. You can even get H/S. You will have to drill some new holes around the contour of the yamaha I can wager money as every company does it slightly differently but it'll be worth it as Dragonfire has many pickguards and materials.

to get a les paul setup you'll definitely have to drill some holes to get the extra two pots. But honestly very , very few guys I know use both tone knobs. When I wire up guitars I usually show them this or that mod to give that 2nd tone knob purpose. I would consider Dimarzio or Alpha push pull pots too to give you more tone possibilities. If you do go with making your own pickguard though get a blank from IKNMusic on ebay. I've bought about 10-20 of them over the past 5 years.

strat vs les paul electronics it comes down to two big differences without really going into it

250k pots are standard for strat single coils - they produce a warmer sound

500k pots are standard for humbuckers - you can use 250k on humbuckers but they may not be bright enough

there are different shaft lengths on the pots. Les pauls sometimes have "Tall pots" that help stick out of the face of the body with thick maple caps. 15-18mm is what I'd put on a strat. Sometimes with 18 i use an extra nut if I want everything super flush to the body.

wiring diagrams? seymour duncan has the best diagrams I tell guys, even if you're not using their pickups their diagrams are great. I'd suggest a single volume and two tones or adding a concentric volume to get all the les paul tones you want. But again see what fits your needs. My les paul diagrams are really , really over the top but I kind of have "OCD" that everything has to do something that benefits me.

parts?
tuners - if you see washers and nuts - grover mini rotomatics

polish the frets with micro mesh - 1500 , 12,000 set , it removes all rust without removing any extra material , i've used this on acoustics found on the side of the road kids gave up on to guitars worth over 1000$.

of course a fretboard cleaner goes a long way such as Dunlops

a 6 bolt tremolo if I was to guess it's a made in china 6 bolt tremolo - in ebay you can get one from china for about 5-10$. However I suggest Guitarfetish.com for them , they are like mid ranged at best but if you plan to make music that is my go to

pickups and all are subjective but yeah hope i could help
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Oct 18, 2015,
I'm trying to post pictures but it tells me the file size is too large (97.7kb limit and all). Any way I can fix that?

Btw, I'm not trying to post progress, just hoping to show you what I have so I can avcurately ask how to carry on.
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!