Ok it's been asked a thousand times I'll make a thousand and one. Looking to get a real 80's metal sound. Anywhere from the classic Ratt sound to the "pop" style like Poison. I have a 1984 Marshall 800 combo and playing on a Jackson KE with a Pearly Gate on the bridge. Besides a tube screamer what other gear would be essential. I can't "hotrod" my amp or tweak anything. Just looking for a couple accessories to really bring out that sound. Thanks!
Leather pants and Aquanet is all you need now.

And an 80s MIJ SD1.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Some kind of phaser or flanger? I feel like that's a standard part of the hair metal arsenal. And probably a chorus for clean sections. There's definitely boxes that'll do all three for you.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Those 80s tones were often an ADA MP-1 rack preamp-even in the 80s there were empty Marshall stacks on stage. They sell cheap used, and there's a pedal version. Rockman headphone amps were used on some studio recordings (especially Mutt Lang stuff), I'm sure there's a pedal for that, too.
I'd just slam the front end with a nice booster and when I say slam it....Oh boy, you gotta hit it harder than EVH hit the bottle.

The 80s tones weren't as saturated as most people would think. RAT, a Screamer, a DS1. ALSO, really cool trick for a live tone - Preferably in the loop, use a delay with one repeat. Yes. Just one. and have it at like 23ms so its pretty much on top of your original signal. Thickens up a typically thin 80s hair tone.
ALSO a higher output pickup will certainly do you some good in driving the front of the amp.
Quote by darkwolf291
Chorus is essential to most Hair Metal leads

Nail on the head. It's not a 80s solo without a chorus pedal and I'm a Ok with that
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by darkwolf291
Chorus is essential to most Hair Metal leads

Another +1

Delay is way up there too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
All you really need is chorus and a good stereo or ping-pong delay for the leads and amp or amp model of Marshall, Mesa, Peavy...really anything that was available at the time, but Marshalls were definitely most popular. You've got the amp covered, really. Tube screamer is standard as well and maybe some wah too.

Really, "hair metal" wasn't even a real genre - most of the bands were similar in the idea that it was metal or rock with catchy, anthemic choruses about drugs and stat-rape, but the actual sound of the bands was often very different. Ratt really didn't sound like Poison who didn't sound like Dokken who didn't sound like Danger Danger who didn't sound like Skid Row. Just about anything done production wise on the guitars and drums (gated reverb on the snare) were just trendy techniques in almost all 80s music.
Last edited by AngelCityOutlaw at Oct 18, 2015,
You need a chorus pedal, 480 ms delay with big reverb, medium gain amp with high powered pickup on the bridge (12k ohms to 16k ohms) and you'll be in the game
Chorus and maybe delay.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
sd1 is a good call

chorus/phaser/flanger/delay are all a good idea too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?