So I bought my first electric the other week and now I am interested in getting some effects pedals, but a little stumped when deciding what to go for. My music isn't heavy so I don't want to use effects for metal music, my music is of an indie rock nature, I was looking into chords, reverb and delay effects but want to find something a little rusty sounding too...

Any suggestions on what effects pedals would be good for indie style music?

This is the music I play here------ Take a listen if you wish to get an idea of what pedels would work---- https://www.youtube.com/user/TemptedYouthMusic/videos
That link takes me to a bunch of videos by a band called Tempted Youth.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
that's my stuff mate^^ this is the kind of music I play but want to know what kind of pedels would work well with this style...
Quote by heaven086
that's my stuff mate^^ this is the kind of music I play but want to know what kind of pedels would work well with this style...

dude it's your music so that's up to you. you already are using fx so what exactly are you trying to find out? your music has kind of a rock a billy feel so reverb, tremelo and slapback delay.
Hi, I have a Marshall dsl 40w amp at the minutire, using a les paul standard. ^^ and the above post about I already use fx's, I know I use them on my pod farm through my ux1 but it doesn't really tell me what pedals would make these kinds of fx's I should of been more clear, basically I am brand now to the electric side of guitar, so not got a clue when it comes to using fx's pedals

Thanks in advance
Quote by heaven086
Hi, I have a Marshall dsl 40w amp at the minutire, using a les paul standard. ^^ and the above post about I already use fx's, I know I use them on my pod farm through my ux1 but it doesn't really tell me what pedals would make these kinds of fx's I should of been more clear, basically I am brand now to the electric side of guitar, so not got a clue when it comes to using fx's pedals

Thanks in advance

c'mon those fx are named on your unit. a pedal would just have that effect. sound like you may be better off using a multi-fx unit rather than buying individual pedals
Shouldn't pedal questions be in gear section? If portability is what you are after, get a Line6 Pod HD or Digitech RP500 or Boss ME. I personally prefer individual pedals, TC Electronic Flashback, Hall of fame, Mojo Mojo, Dark Matter, Gravy (Guitar Center spin on Corona chorus and Shaker), Digitech obscura altered delay, Polara reverb, DOD Boneshaker. There are many many pedals.. MOOER and Joyo have small micro pedals that do a decent job. Of course they can't match Strymon quality (but at the price) it's good deal.
Last edited by psp742 at Oct 18, 2015,
some of the most common choices - overdrive, delay, tuner, reverb (if your amp doesnt have one or not a good one. for indie stuff you may want a really ambient type reverb) wah is a staple however ive seen people doing without it a lot these days.

i play a lot of indie stuff. i recommend the TC hall of fame reverb or the pro guitar shop custom variants, the trinity (discontinued) and the T2 (trinity 2). they have a TON of versatility and get those spacey, ambient, indie hipster type vibes going that a normal reverb cant do. i LOVE my trinity. i think tehy made the T2 a bit weird. i would personally go hunt down another used original T1 if it ever broke i love it so much.

on the same level, the flashback delay is GREAT for the same reason. if you really are into delays, and need a ton of switching options, perhaps get the x4.

everybody needs an overdrive, boost, or some form of high output, gainey type pedal. it can be a clean boost hitting your amp, a drive, stuff to color, or a cleaner drive, etc. but almost every guitarist has a way to manipulate their gain via a pedal.

i typically have always had an overdrive and a clean boost. however, my carvin v3m has 3 channels a built in clean boost, so now i just run an Xotic AC booster set to cleanish on max output to hit me preamp....basically like a clean boost.

fuzz or fuzz octaves are almost universally used in all music, probably not changing any time soon. pick a flavor, vintage ones (more like a classic fuzz face, or muff) or more modern versions (blakemore dues ex machina is a very modern sound). etc.

tuner. if you dont have this, just get it. unless you stick a headstock tuner on. Guitar fetish (online website) makes a FANTASIC tuner for about 40 bucks. its pretty much amazing.

oh, get yourself a 1 spot power to start, and you will most likely either need to buy a board, or if you have some wood and some skills, just make your own. some people retrofit old suit cases, etc.

i would allow a few hundred bucks to build a basic, versatile board.

for super budget, i would rock a headstock tuner (like a snark), a 1 spot adapater (because screw batteries), get yourself the TC reverb and a cheap but decent overdrive of your flavor. the TV reverb is so versatile it can almost be a delay.

delays are some of the most expensive effects. i wouldnt cut short on that, and new age indie music sometimes demands weird, long, strange, ambient type delay stuff. i wouldnt skimp. and if you dont skimp, it will eat up your budget fast.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
heaven086 for the moody mistical sound use a chourser and a phase shifter.for your heavy hard sound use a compresser and a fuzz box. to get expressive use a cry babby or a wa wa to get any type amp sound you want get a fender G deck. with these  things i can make any gutiar sound like any other type of gutiar make a strat sound like an acoustic a gibson sound like a fender ect.
Please don't bump old threads.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.