Simple question: can anyone recommend me a cheap or free orchestral string VSTs? Stuff like violin, viola, cello, upright bass etc. I'd like to add some string sections to my songs but I'm poor.

Bonus question: choir and woodwind VSTs. If anyone can think of any, it'd be much appreciated.

The best I've found so far is Cellofan, which isn't half bad. I also tried one called Matnitron, but I'd like to have something better.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Last edited by Kevätuhri at Oct 18, 2015,
not what you're looking for but I have a free brass vst called DxBrass I think it is. just incase you want to add some trumpet to your music.

but I too am interested in free string vst. I'm doing some Ocarina of Time covers and a lot has strings in it
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
sorry it's dsk brass.

it's on vst4free
I'd look for string vst but I'm on my phone and it doesn't work well.
will look later though if no one posts any up
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
Quote by nightwalker903
sorry it's dsk brass.

it's on vst4free

http://www.dskmusic.com/dsk-brass/

If there are ads with fake DL buttons, just click the one with two chevrons pointing down, in a square, on a blue background that says "Download DSK Brass". (that's the real one. For whatever reason I managed to click every other fake one before I realized which one it was).

Edit: DSK also has strings (DSK Overture, DSK Virtuoso), choirs (DSK ChoirZ) and many other things all on the same website.
Weast? What kind of compass are you reading lad?
Last edited by Jaywalk777 at Oct 18, 2015,
Quote by nightwalker903
sorry it's dsk brass.

it's on vst4free

Not exactly what I'm looking for, at least at that sound quality. But I'll keep it in mind.

Quote by Keskimaki
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/philharmonik/

For what you get, 49 € is pretty cheap.

For free stuff, i have found the DSK plugins pretty adequate.

That looks interesting, 49e isn't that bad. Sounds good on the demos.

And I did download and try the DSK stuff out, they sound okay. You get what you pay for though

Quote by Jaywalk777
http://www.dskmusic.com/dsk-brass/

If there are ads with fake DL buttons, just click the one with two chevrons pointing down, in a square, on a blue background that says "Download DSK Brass". (that's the real one. For whatever reason I managed to click every other fake one before I realized which one it was).

Edit: DSK also has strings (DSK Overture, DSK Virtuoso), choirs (DSK ChoirZ) and many other things all on the same website.

I have adblock so no problem the UG frontpage hates me though

Quote by carnagereap666
Versillian Studio and Orchestra Sonatina.

I couldn't get the Versillian studio to work, but it sounds cool. I'll try again soon. Orchestra Sonatina seems to be a sample library, and I'm not a fan of those. But I can try that out too if I can't find anything else.

Thanks a bunch for all the replies.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by diabolical
+1 on Miroslav Philharmonic

It does look very nice. I presume it works with Reaper as expected? And as far as I can tell it's a fully functional VST, not just a sample collection?

I can't seem to find a demo which is a shame. Would come in handy.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Quote by Kevätuhri
It does look very nice. I presume it works with Reaper as expected? And as far as I can tell it's a fully functional VST, not just a sample collection?

I can't seem to find a demo which is a shame. Would come in handy.

Yes, works with Reaper, nice, light on resources and easy to use.
Fully functional, the player is based on SampleTank.

My only complaint is that since by IK Multimedia, installing and authorizing was bit of a bitch from what I remember.
Youtube should have plenty of demos.

The install and authorizations are "standard", you have to d/load,create store acct and validate via challenge respose. Their support has been pretty good to me, they answer within a day if you have issues.
I meant a demo that I could try myself and see if I like it. But it looks good, I'm confident that it wouldn't be a wasted 50e. The authorization is always a bit tedious, but I think it'll be worth it.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Quote by Kevätuhri
I meant a demo that I could try myself and see if I like it. But it looks good, I'm confident that it wouldn't be a wasted 50e. The authorization is always a bit tedious, but I think it'll be worth it.

There is a trial demo off the IK website. If you don't know how to load it they'd be happy to walk you through it.
Quote by diabolical
There is a trial demo off the IK website. If you don't know how to load it they'd be happy to walk you through it.

I just couldn't find it I'll look again when I'm not on my phone.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Cheers. I downloaded it and tried it, it's pretty great. Much better than what I had hoped for. I guess I should buy the whole thing then.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail