What Ho.

So I want to set up a home studio in the near future. I'll want to record guitar and keys.

I don't have any equipment yet but I know I need an audio interface and DAW as well as some monitors.

I have a Pod HD Bean which I can use as my audio interface for my guitar. My question is, will I need a separate one for keys, seeing as though the Pod is very guitar orientated. I was looking at the ol Focusrite ones

I don't mind getting an extra audio interface but was wondering if you can get a bit of kit that can easily switch between the pod (guitar) and Focusrite (keys) without having to rip all the wires out each time. Or can I just use my Pod for everything.

Whilst I'm here, any recommendations for decent monitors. Like everyone ever I was looking at the KRK 5s but I've heard mixed reviews.
No you can't use the pod.

Read the introduction to recording sticky for more info about interfaces.
I highly recommend connecting keyboards to other stuff using midi, so maybe look into that, it's much much more versatile.
If you want an audio interface then I recommend the mackie onyx blackjack or the roland duo capture ex, they sound plain better than the scarlett's.

For the monitors, stay away from the rokits if you want monitors for mixing, they suck at what they're sold to do.
It only depends on how much money you wanna spend for that.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Ok cool, so I need another audio interface.

I've read the sticky but I'm clueless about this stuff.

I still want to use my Pod for amp sims rather than my computer so what's the easiest way to swap between my keys AI and my pod assuming I can't have both plugged into monitors at the same tine
Budget Studio off the top of my head

Focusrite 2i4
Reaper for the DAW
M Audio AV 40 monitors (as cheap as they come and seem good to start on although you could find others if they're not to your liking)
Bias FX, Guitar Rig 5 or Amplitube as an Amp Sim or Jam Up Pro if you have an iPad.

as budget as it comes and it'll do the job just fine

edit: just noticed you want to use the Pod for guitar. I wouldn't personally but each to their own, that'll save you some money

so all you need really is a Focusrite 2i4 and monitors. be looking at about £200 and you're good to go
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
Last edited by nightwalker903 at Oct 18, 2015,
I use Yamaha Hs5s for monitors. I find they are very neutral and the tonal quality is good. Not a HUGE hit for the wallet.. If it is , you could try the Hs3s I think?

I agree with above on the Rokits. I find they are too bass heavy imho.

Good luck :-)
Quote by nightwalker903
Budget Studio off the top of my head

Focusrite 2i4
Reaper for the DAW
M Audio AV 40 monitors (as cheap as they come and seem good to start on although you could find others if they're not to your liking)
Bias FX, Guitar Rig 5 or Amplitube as an Amp Sim or Jam Up Pro if you have an iPad.

as budget as it comes and it'll do the job just fine

edit: just noticed you want to use the Pod for guitar. I wouldn't personally but each to their own, that'll save you some money

so all you need really is a Focusrite 2i4 and monitors. be looking at about £200 and you're good to go

What do you like about reaper as opposed to say Cubase or Pro tools?
Quote by LivinJoke84
So you would recommend pc based plug ins like Positive Bias etc over the amp sims and fx of a pod?

Depends what you want really. For the past 4 years, I've pretty much exclusively recorded with an HD500x or PodFarm (2.5. I'm not a monster!) and I can get some pretty good tones by now.
Line 6 does tend to require a bit more work to get it to sound good though.

I definitely wouldn't suggest Line 6 to recording newcomers but if you can get a good tone out of it, go for it! It's good experience making potential shit sound good too.

Here's an example of one of my L6 tones (not a deliberate plug, watch with adblock if you want.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lce1Db44T5s
Quote by LivinJoke84
I've read the sticky but I'm clueless about this stuff.
Reading them thoroughly will give you an idea.
Quote by LivinJoke84
I still want to use my Pod for amp sims rather than my computer so what's the easiest way to swap between my keys AI and my pod assuming I can't have both plugged into monitors at the same tine
You keep the monitors connected to the same audio interface and you switch between inputs.

Say you get a mackie onyx blackjack.
You connect the monitors to that, you leave them connected to that and in your input settings you set either the pod or the onyx.
All software, no need for switching cables of any sort.
Quote by GreshamSmash
If it is , you could try the Hs3s I think?
HS3's don't exist, there are HS5, HS7, HS8 and HS8S.

Still OP, how much do you wanna spend for monitors?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Spend on Monitors? Don't have a budget in mind per se although im happy to pay what is need to get a decent set of entry level ones that I'm not gonna want to upgrade within 3 months.

So would I connect my Pod to the audio interface then? Wouldn't that be doubling up for no reason, seeing as though the Pod can just go straight into the PC?
For entry level monitors i.e. below £200 I would recommend the Alesis 520 M1 Active monitors. Mine were £170 new and I thought that was a bargain but Andertons have a pair of B Stock ones on sale at the moment for £139

I may as well bore you with the rest of my budget gear...

I had a very limited budget (around £250) when I started recording and needed a high quality soundcard for around £50, a small mixing desk (for phantom power, inputs monitoring sending FX, etc) and the best monitors I could get for under £200.

I already had a PC, Cubase and an AKG C3000B microphone.

I ended up with this modest setup. A couple of the items are now obsolete so I have replaced them with their modern counterparts.

I have a small budget PC set up that I am more than happy with;
Behringer MX 802A mixer similar to this around £50
M Audio 24/96 Audiophile just £19.99 here
Alesis 520 M1 Active monitors for £139

Total cost (if you already have a PC and software) of hardware, around £200. I have been using this set up for a couple of years now and am still more than happy with it. If I were to win the lottery, my first purchase would be to invest in a better room to record in, not necessarily better gear.

Cheers
Mo
Whoah whoah whoah, sound card? Is that something else I'll need? I have a laptop and not sure if mine is upgradable?
Quote by LivinJoke84
Spend on Monitors? Don't have a budget in mind per se although im happy to pay what is need to get a decent set of entry level ones that I'm not gonna want to upgrade within 3 months.
Then you might look into a pair of yamaha HS8 and a pair of adam a7x.
If you wanna spend less money a pair of JBL LSR305 will do good enough.
Quote by LivinJoke84
So would I connect my Pod to the audio interface then?
No, you would connect both the pod and the audio interface to the pc, and then switch between them in the software settings for input.

The output will still always go to the audio interface and then to whatever pair of speakers or headphones.
Quote by LivinJoke84
Whoah whoah whoah, sound card? Is that something else I'll need? I have a laptop and not sure if mine is upgradable?
Quote by diabolical
audio interface=sound card
You sure you've read the stickies?

A sound card is always an audio interface, but an audio interface is not necessarily a sound card.
A sound card is, by wide definition, a card, that goes inside the computer, while an audio interface is something that converts the audio from digital to analog and/or from analog to digital.

You simply need an audio interface OP, an external one will do fine, no need to change your computer's sound card.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Then you might look into a pair of yamaha HS8 and a pair of adam a7x.
If you wanna spend less money a pair of JBL LSR305 will do good enough.
No, you would connect both the pod and the audio interface to the pc, and then switch between them in the software settings for input.

The output will still always go to the audio interface and then to whatever pair of speakers or headphones.
You sure you've read the stickies?

A sound card is always an audio interface, but an audio interface is not necessarily a sound card.
A sound card is, by wide definition, a card, that goes inside the computer, while an audio interface is something that converts the audio from digital to analog and/or from analog to digital.

You simply need an audio interface OP, an external one will do fine, no need to change your computer's sound card.

Ah I see, all very helpful thank you.

A sound card to me is the thing in your computer!