Hi, everyone. I would appreciate it if you could help me find an amp for a friend of a mine.

Price range: $200-$300

What he plays is mostly alternative rock, classic rock, pop/rock and the occasional metal bands like Dream Theater, Metallica, and Iron Maiden. So high distortion is not a priority.

We were thinking that getting a Vox vt 40 or vt20 would be a good idea. Although he's not too sure if the vt20 would be loud enough if he ever needs to play casually with other musicians (including a drummer).

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.
Peavey Vypyrs would be worth a look too.

Personally, with budget level modelers, I find that the size of the speaker has more to do with sounding good than wattage.

I would try to get one with a 12" speaker.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I read that Vypyrs are too digital sounding. Is there any merit to this claim? For that reason, I would like to look into other options...
Last edited by alexcp94 at Oct 19, 2015,
I'd say VT40+ sounds loud, clean and way better option than VT20. In terms of volume and clear sound at higher pitches
Vypyrs are some of the best modellers out there right now. Mustang isn't bad either but not really my thing.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by alexcp94
I read that Vypyrs are too digital sounding. Is there any merit to this claim? For that reason, I would like to look into other options...

I don't really think they are any more digital sounding than the other modelers on the market in that price range.

I haven't had a ton of time on either, other than when I was teaching lessons at a shop, which had a both, i preferred the vypyr over the vox when I was teaching.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The modelling in a Vyper is done with analog SS tech, they aren't digital. Well the effects are but you don't have to use those.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
$300 is easily enough for a Fender Super Champ XD, probably a Blues Jr and maybe even an HRD, on the used market. For $300, you can do much better than the Mustang amp (which imo is inferior to the Valvetronix, Vyper and Roland Cube).
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
$300 is easily enough for a Fender Super Champ XD, probably a Blues Jr and maybe even an HRD, on the used market. For $300, you can do much better than the Mustang amp (which imo is inferior to the Valvetronix, Vyper and Roland Cube).

^^ This! All of the listed small cheap amps really sound pretty good to my ears. Pick one and go.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Avoid the HRD at all costs. Drive channel is actually just a family of geese shouting into a microphone.

You could also look for a used Egnater Tweaker. Or if you can stretch the budget a bit a Rebel 20 would be pretty nifty.
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Oct 19, 2015,
Vypyr tube 60
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by stratman_13
Avoid the HRD at all costs.

Nonsense. The HRD is a pretty awesome amp used by pros around the world. Adding an OD pedal in front brings out lovely classic rock gain also. Just because every knob on the amp is not useful doesn't mean you throw it away. Put some duct tape over that drive channel if it frightens you too much. Lots of knobs on amps from Fender, Mesa, Marshall, Roland, and Peavey that I never use. They are still great amps.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 19, 2015,
The dude is looking for Dream Theater, Metallica, and Iron Maiden type stuff. The HRD is not even close to being able to pull that off. The drive channel doesn't scare me...? It's just terrible. The HRD is average at best, but it does take pedals well. It will not do prog and thrash though, not without some major pedals up front.

I will concede that it does sound alright with the clean channel on the verge of breakup, but it's got to be obscenely loud. It is a Fender after all.
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
The dude is looking for Dream Theater, Metallica, and Iron Maiden type stuff. The HRD is not even close to being able to pull that off. The drive channel doesn't scare me...? It's just terrible. The HRD is average at best, but it does take pedals well. It will not do prog and thrash though, not without some major pedals up front.

I will concede that it does sound alright with the clean channel on the verge of breakup, but it's got to be obscenely loud. It is a Fender after all.

To each his own regarding musical taste. There is a reason the HRD is the most gigged amp ever produced.

Negative on the OP musical interests though:

"What he plays is mostly alternative rock, classic rock, pop/rock and the occasional metal bands like Dream Theater, Metallica, and Iron Maiden. So high distortion is not a priority."

Okay yeah wow I missed that completely, that's my bad. I find it hard to believe the HRD is the most gigged amp ever produced though seeing as its only been around since '95. The actual Deluxe? That I can see.

EDIT: now that I know what he's actually playing (what's reading comprehension ) I'll absolutely second the Blues Jr. Those things sing pretty great. XD would be alright but the Jr would probably fit better.
--

--
The Mustang III (v2) is a great amp, particularly once you get past the learning curve! The magic is in custom configuring the Advanced Amp deep Page 2 Amp Button features! Once you set up the Sag, Bias, Noise Gate, Cabinet Simulation, and other advanced features the Amp transforms! Too many people never discover this and dismiss the Mustang. I don't recollect if any of the 100 default presets had any of these Advanced Amp features customized.

I've seen the Mustang III (v2) new, when marked down and on sale, at Guitar Center, as low as $249!
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Last edited by MusicLaw at Oct 20, 2015,