So my guitar was wired with independant volume control for each of the two humbuckers when I got it. When I got it all rewired to a fairly normal wiring (with an added coil split), the middle position became very thin and extremely quiet. From what I've found online, it sounds like it's out of phase. What I'm wondering is how to put it back in phase. The only thing I've found so far is flipping the magnet (looks easy enough). If I were to do that, will I need to switch the hot and the ground? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Can you post pictures of the electronic cavity, I have a HSH pickup configuration guitar with push-pull pot for coil-split (bridge north coil /neck south coil) humbucker and 5-way switch. I will try post pictures later.
If it's 4 wire pickups make sure you use the right color code on each pickup, if you're mixing brands that is fine as north pole start is north pole start

when i modified the wiring of a jackson DK2 last year or the year before that was a big complaint i had with the phase reversal of a humbucker and single coil paired together was the drop in volume. you know its out of phase if it's got this weird quack like sound. But then again youtubes our friend.
They're definite different brands of pickups (no labels on them though). But the neck pickup has only two wires and the ground while the bridge pickup has 4 plus the ground. I'm using the standard wiring diagram found here: http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3T21_00/Guitar-Wiring-Diagam-2-Humbuckers3-Way-Toggle-Switch2-Volumes1-Tone.html with a two way toggle added to the bridge pickup for coil splitting.
Alright, so here's how it went. I decided to go ahead and flip the magnet. The magnet wasn't coming out easily because of how much wax was in there, so I had to take the base plate right off (being careful not to disconnect the wires soldered to it). I had to use a hair dryer to melt the wax enough to get the magnet unstuck. I then put it all back together and got the guitar all strung up again (the floyd rose is a pain in the butt when you've taken all the strings off it, lol). The results... it works perfectly the way I wanted! Now I'm just waiting for my tone capacitors to arrive in the mail and it'll be even better . Since I got to test it out a bit more today, I realized that the coil tap on the bridge pickup sounds so much better than I ever expected from it. Thanks guys for your input
I feel your pain, I only have one guitar that has Floyd Rose.. I bought a Shredneck LP series travel guitar and also got a TremBlock (prevent the FR from dive bomb into the cavity) - https://www.shredneckstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SN-TB - you don't really need it.. a rolled up paper or cardboard should be able to hold the FR in position.. Since I already have one, I used it twice already so I got my money's worth.. LoL

I have my FR set at floating and with Super-vee maglok, keeps it pretty stable even when doing bending.
Last edited by psp742 at Oct 19, 2015,
Quote by TheWhiteBandit
Alright, so here's how it went. I decided to go ahead and flip the magnet. The magnet wasn't coming out easily because of how much wax was in there, so I had to take the base plate right off (being careful not to disconnect the wires soldered to it). I had to use a hair dryer to melt the wax enough to get the magnet unstuck. I then put it all back together and got the guitar all strung up again (the floyd rose is a pain in the butt when you've taken all the strings off it, lol). The results... it works perfectly the way I wanted! Now I'm just waiting for my tone capacitors to arrive in the mail and it'll be even better . Since I got to test it out a bit more today, I realized that the coil tap on the bridge pickup sounds so much better than I ever expected from it. Thanks guys for your input

There's no need to remove the strings on a Floyd Rose just to work on or swap out the pups. If you have it setup for floating it's even easier. Just pull up on the bar, pop the springs off out the back with your fingers and carefully pull the Floyd out the front. Reverse the procedure and the guitar is still setup and in tune. Just don't unlock the nut at any time and you're golden.

EDIT:
Forgot a couple tips. When reinstalling the Floyd make sure you have the knife edges seated good in the groves of the studs. And it can help to wrap a rag or hand towel around the neck and put some tape to help keep it from unraveling while flipping the guitar around. This will prevent the strings from rubbing on your neck and frets. This way you don't have to be stressing over it while you're working.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Oct 19, 2015,
Quote by Way Cool JR.
There's no need to remove the strings on a Floyd Rose just to work on or swap out the pups. If you have it setup for floating it's even easier. Just pull up on the bar, pop the springs off out the back with your fingers and carefully pull the Floyd out the front. Reverse the procedure and the guitar is still setup and in tune. Just don't unlock the nut at any time and you're golden.

Awesome, I didn't think of that. I kinda did the opposite where I pushed the trem forward and released the strings from the bridge. I basically did the reverse to put them back, but you cant accurately place them each in at the place it was before. I will defintely do what you said if I need to in the future. Thanks for that
Picture of HSH with single push-pull pot to coil-split both humbucker..

Good to know you were able to reverse the magnet without adversely affecting the humbucker pickup.